• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poncho recommendations please!

katie@camino

Time of past OR future Camino
CF, SJPDP-Finisterre 2016;CP (Central) Porto-SdC 2017;CP (Coastal) Porto-SdC 2018;CF Leon-SdC 2019
I've walked 4 Caminos now using my Altus poncho. It's decent, does the job of keeping wet stuff out. I like the size of it, and that it covers full arms and down to the knees.

BUT I sweat a fair bit so the inside-condensation wets and cools me to the point where I almost wonder 'what's the point of even wearing a poncho?'

So I like the Altus but I don't love it. And I'm very keen to hear recommendations for a poncho that maybe has pit zips or some other ways to let a little bit of heat/sweat out? And potentially a bit lighter? It feels quite heavy for a single-use item that you may or may not need.

Thankyou!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I've walked 4 Caminos now using my Altus poncho. It's decent, does the job of keeping wet stuff out. I like the size of it, and that it covers full arms and down to the knees.

BUT I sweat a fair bit so the inside-condensation wets and cools me to the point where I almost wonder 'what's the point of even wearing a poncho?'

So I like the Altus but I don't love it. And I'm very keen to hear recommendations for a poncho that maybe has pit zips or some other ways to let a little bit of heat/sweat out? And potentially a bit lighter? It feels quite heavy for a single-use item that you may or may not need.

Thankyou!

Frogg Toggs increases the already good ventilation of a poncho somewhat by using a waterproof/breathable fabric. I recommend it both due to cost and effectiveness. Average weight is around 7 ounces.

It is a problem isn't it, with the Altus. I no longer use one but when I did I found that because of the sweating I preferred to not use the sleeves but used it as a sort of cloak poncho and, yes, it is a little heavy, though much lighter than a rain suit.

With a poncho - or any rain-wear really - I wear a baseball cap as it keeps the rain off the face.

It depends upon where you are. Do you have Ikea? Ikea do a poncho - it is a cloak - or bell shape? - with slits for arms so one can keep arms inside - lots of free air under there - and is ridiculously cheap and light, weighs just 194 gms. They can be found on Ebay too. I use one now and rather like it.

The Ikea Knalla has a pocket at the front and the whole packs away into that - neat. It is what I now use. s-l300.jpg
download (1).jpgdownload (2).jpg

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For increasing ventilation with an Altus poncho, why not check out " Altus poncho ventilation" thread started by "Crickpicker". He has a simple method of increasing the sleeve ventilation. Using a plastic bottle.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have a Saewelo rain poncho. It’s large enough for a backpack, long, clip sleeves (although open around wrist). Doesn’t behave like Monroe’s dress in wind :)

Best in the world? Probably not but it’s worked well for me so far.

It’s just shy of 500g in weight.

A portion of the cost is donated to a Water Charity

https://www.saewelo.eu/ (the item image is broken on The site it seems)

Thankyou!
Last year I bought an REI $5 Poncho. I thought it would just be a piece of junk but got it anyway because it was the only one they had. Guess what? It kept me bone dry in pouring down rain of several hours. I am very short, and it was one-size-fits-all. I also had a Patagonia jacket and rain pants on under it. But, when I stopped at a cafe and everyone else was soaked they couldn't believe how dry I was! That $5 Poncho did it and I highly recommend it.

We’ve worn Packas for 2,500 miles of caminos over 6 years and love them. Sort of a cross between a jacket (sleeves and front zipper) and a poncho (they go over you like a poncho, covering your pack). They have enormous pit zips and ventilate very well (although no rain gear completely presents condensation).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think it depends on what the temperature is when it is raining. Last year I walked in rain for over two weeks, but it was June and fairly warm. I was able to roll my pants up over my knees, and under the $1 poncho I was wearing. I could take the poncho off and stuff it in my hip belt and then grab it and throw it back over my pack whenever it started raining again. It got a few holes in it, but it kept me dry and I wasn't too hot in it. I wouldn't suggest it for an early spring or late fall camino, but it worked perfectly last June. I don't remember the weight, but it was minimal. This year I am walking again in June and will take a new $1 poncho and a really light weight umbrella.

I have switched from a rain jacket over to Frogtog ponchos now. I did not like ponchos due to them flapping about in high wind but have solved that by using paracord tied around my waist.

Last edited:
I have a Saewelo rain poncho. It’s large enough for a backpack, long, clip sleeves (although open around wrist). Doesn’t behave like Monroe’s dress in wind :)

Best in the world? Probably not but it’s worked well for me so far.

It’s just shy of 500g in weight.

A portion of the cost is donated to a Water Charity

https://www.saewelo.eu/ (the item image is broken on The site it seems)

This looks the job and ethical price sounds good to me. purchased for my next wet walk :)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07HLMH7MM/?tag=casaivar-21

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Lots of great ideas above.

I swear by my poncho over using a rain jacket and pants. I do prefer to use a poncho that fits over my head and has snaps on the side. This provides (for me) the maximum amount of coverage (Including pack coverage) while simultaneously providing me with the maximum amount of (adjustable) ventilation. It weighs no more than your average poncho. Just a thought to research.

Last edited:

Thankyou!
I've walked the Compostelle GR65 , The Norte and Primitivo and the Stevenson GR70 using the Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil® Nano Tarp Poncho through rain torrents and snow blizzards. I also slept under it twice when I had no other choice. I used my tri folding Leki carbon poles to hold it up. Worked for me; with the snapping sides of the poncho I was able to adjust the right amount of draft to keep from sweat wetting myself plus it covered and kept my pack dry. It weighs as little as they get and packs in a ball the size of a large orange.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I've walked the Compostelle GR65 , The Norte and Primitivo and the Stevenson GR70 using the Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil® Nano Tarp Poncho through rain torrents and snow blizzards. I also slept under it twice when I had no other choice. I used my tri folding Leki carbon poles to hold it up. Worked for me; with the snapping sides of the poncho I was able to adjust the right amount of draft to keep from sweat wetting myself plus it covered and kept my pack dry. It weighs as little as they get and packs in a ball the size of a large orange.

This is the exact way I have and would use mine. Works great with the minimal amount of weight in my pack.

I have bought Decathlon PONCHO. Looks solid, lightweight (400 g?). I did not use it on Camino, but tested it at home (rainy day trails).
On Camino Portuguese I used Naturehike (China) poncho - similar material to Sea to Summit, but at a fraction of cost (10 EUR). Good, lightweight, just a little short.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I had high hopes for the IKEA poncho but on my recent camino it was NOT waterproof. Had to resort to my $1 plastic poncho....

The multi-tasking poncho. Aside from the great ventilated rain protection, these are a few of the ways I have used mine when backpacking. . . and a couple of ways I've used it on Camino, too. :)
  • A shelter lean-to. A bit of cord and trekking poles make it even more independent in setting up.
  • A sun shelter, it can be rigged up to provide you shade in hot climates.
  • Ground cloth: Under a tent, or a survival shelter, a poncho can protect you from the damp ground. If you are in a cold damp climate, this can help you stay warm.
  • Wind Break: While a poncho without the liner does not have much insulating qualities, you will be warmer if you wrap up in the poncho in windy weather, this will help protect you from wind chill.
  • Privacy -- great emergency privacy screen when needing to do some 'elimination' business and natural coverage of bushes or tall grass is scarce. It also works when needing to change pants or shorts.
  • Sit pad. When taking a break and sitting surfaces are damp.
  • Mattress cover.
  • Can make an emergency backpack or carryall.
  • Windshell to add a bit of extra warmth to layers. Great for cool, early mornings when you need something that can be quickly removed after you have warmed up from walking.
  • etc

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Thankyou!
[/QUOTE

Plastic Camino poncho, bought for 8 euros at a little tienda on the Camino. This combined with my running shorts does just fine, and I will happily leave it to some reverse direction pilgrim when I no longer need it.

I use the Decathlon 75 liter poncho. Long underarm zips for ventilation. The front zip is also 2 way. Not the lightest but has served me well on very wet days

I have switched from a rain jacket over to Frogtog ponchos now. I did not like ponchos due to them flapping about in high wind but have solved that by using paracord tied around my waist.
I do the same with my froggtoggs poncho and have been very pleased.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
For our 2013 Camino we had Sea to Summit Poncho/Tarps. Great, and waterproof except that as I appear to fidget as I walk, the poncho tended to face sideways and the press studs kept popping, meaning that I was forever stopping to adjust and reconnect the press studs. This year, I have sewed up the sides (goodbye Tarp) - hopefully, this will result in less irritation in September in the rain (does it rain in Galicia?)☺️ . I'd be interested to know how everyone gets their Poncho over the pack easily, or do they put on the poncho, and then put on the pack?

For our 2013 Camino we had Sea to Summit Poncho/Tarps. Great, and waterproof except that as I appear to fidget as I walk, the poncho tended to face sideways and the press studs kept popping, meaning that I was forever stopping to adjust and reconnect the press studs. This year, I have sewed up the sides (goodbye Tarp) - hopefully, this will result in less irritation in September in the rain (does it rain in Galicia?)☺ . I'd be interested to know how everyone gets their Poncho over the pack easily, or do they put on the poncho, and then put on the pack?

The beauty of a poncho is that it goes over the backpack. That helps create ventilated airspace as well as cover the pack itself. If weather looks iffy, my poncho goes into an easy-to-reach side pocket. If I need to put on the poncho, I can grab it out of the side pocket and quickly pit it on. . . no more than a bit of a slow down in walking speed. it comes off and stows away just as easily. This is especially handy if the rain is sporadic.

For our 2013 Camino we had Sea to Summit Poncho/Tarps. Great, and waterproof except that as I appear to fidget as I walk, the poncho tended to face sideways and the press studs kept popping, meaning that I was forever stopping to adjust and reconnect the press studs. This year, I have sewed up the sides (goodbye Tarp) - hopefully, this will result in less irritation in September in the rain (does it rain in Galicia?)☺ . I'd be interested to know how everyone gets their Poncho over the pack easily, or do they put on the poncho, and then put on the pack?
I have the Sea to Summit Poncho/Tarp also. I had no problems at all with mine. Perhaps the snaps were improved by the time I got mine in 2016. With regard to the poncho over the pack issue; depends how high your pack is. I learned to toss the thing in the air up over my head and 1 out of 3 times it landed in a good enough spot to pull it down over the pack. I also used my poles a couple of times to help it along. If it's really windy, ask anyone to help you out and voila, "Life is but a dream". 😊

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks everyone. I have looked into all the ponchos/rain gear you suggested. I think I will stick with the Altus, as it does have some great features and I might just have to get creative in cutting some slits into the armpits

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.