• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poncho vs Rainjacket

Ginosar

Hi. Any advice? I just purchased a very light weight waterproof jacket for my walk in June. But now I keep reading that more people recommend ponchos. Should I get a poncho instead? Or with my time of year, will it really not matter?

Also, should I invest in a good sunproof hat or is a baseball cap enough? Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Since you're going in June, you are looking more for rain protection than for heat conservation, therefore I recommend a poncho. I wouldn't want to be walking in 25 degrees Celsius weather with a non breathable rain jacket stuck to my back. That's what I brought last May/June and it was plenty, only wearing my Columbia L/S sleeved blouse underneath.

But, as for all things related to equipment for the Camino, you'll receive the exact opposite recommendation in the next post! :)

My best suggestion is to go for a walk with your jacket and pack and see how you feel, then decide.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
it's a gamble really, you may bring enough or not enough depending on the weather...

last year I didn't bring any raingear and the only rain i encountered in 3 weeks was while i was on the bus from astorga to santiago

this year I am not gambling and will bring a poncho

I think, it was only at the last minute i decided to leave it at home last yeat...

You'll find people here love their ponchos very much, they are very vocal about it.
I'm in the other camp for 2 major reasons:
I like a hood on a jacket to work, ie it must have an adjustable wire in it. Sometimes you want the hood v open just to shelter your face & give lots of ventilation & not have the hood wack'n you; then other-times you need to button down & make the opening pretty small. The windage on a poncho is great if it is behind you but requires a lot more energy from the 3 other directions.

We wore very cheap regatta over trousers which were very light too, £12.
121100991010.jpg

These also keep you from getting wet feet & saved us wearing gaiters, they are also part of the layering system so will get you warm if you get cold in the mountains.

It rains a lot in this part of Spain, hence there is a lot of green in the pics

It's a personal preference, everything has to be lightweight, a poncho is, my 20yr old lightweight breathable jacket did it for me. There will days when it's raining with 100% humidity, when it's impossible for either to work, @ keeping you dry. A trick is to not drink to excess because you'll have to sweat it out & your covering will not cope.

I would get a large brimmed hat, they are great when the sun is out & you want some protection esp to your tops of ears :)

Hi!

I'll sit on the fence and say it probably doesn't matter much in June. As you already have the jacket I'd stick with that, as long as you also have a rain cover for your pack. If the weather is unusually rainy and the jacket isn't working out for any reason you can get a poncho in Spain.

The hat is probably more important and I agree with Abbeydore that a wide brimmed hat is a good idea to protect ears and neck.

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I finally abandoned my rainsuit (breathable Tyvek) for a poncho because I had to remove my pack to remove either the jacket or the pants. To remove the pants, I also had to sit down! When I was in and out of the rainsuit three times in thirty minutes, I knew I needed a better solution, so I bought an Altus in Burgos. It was a good decision. With the poncho, I drape it over my backpack and slip into or out of it as conditions require, usually without missing a step. In June it is hot, so you will want to get out of rain gear as soon as it stops pouring. A poncho works best for doing that, and you can leave the pack cover behind as well (though mine only weighed about 2 oz.).

Last year I wore a jacket & pack cover. Next year I will probably take a poncho. My problem is I heat up as I walk and, no matter how breathable the jacket is, I overheat quickly. I'm hoping a poncho will be more comfortable for me.

As for the hat, I would recommend a wide brimmed hat (I wear a Tilley). Not only does it shade your head and ears, it also makes your shadow look like Indiana Jones which is a plus in my book :)

falcon269 said:
I finally abandoned my rainsuit (breathable Tyvek) for a poncho because I had to remove my pack to remove either the jacket or the pants. To remove the pants, I also had to sit down! When I was in and out of the rainsuit three times in thirty minutes, I knew I needed a better solution, so I bought an Altus in Burgos. It was a good decision. With the poncho, I drape it over my backpack and slip into or out of it as conditions require, usually without missing a step. In June it is hot, so you will want to get out of rain gear as soon as it stops pouring. A poncho works best for doing that, and you can leave the pack cover behind as well (though mine only weighed about 2 oz.).
We're different ends of the spectrum Falcon! I wouldn't even think about taking a full rainsuit in June. How often is it likely to pour down, really? Maybe thunderstorms at night. Ponchos can be awkward to get on as well. I've seen and helped many pilgrims trying to get their poncho over their pack - watching them try to do it alone is like watching a dog chasing its tail.

I can live with getting a bit wet once or twice if it saves buying and carrying more 'stuff'. I wouldn't get hypothermia in Spain in June.

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just back from walking the Camino Frances and through to Fisterra. Had a fair bit of rain, and snow at times, in the 6 weeks I was on the trail and my favourite bit of rain gear was my Umbrella. Purchased on a moist morning in Pamplona and still giving good service back in the UK. Well it was till the sun came out this week.

An umbrella, folds easily and neatly, lightweight, very breathable, no need even to stop walking while you deploy it. Good for spooking those ankle nipping cattle-dogs too.

Hi Tyrrek

I have also helped pilgrims with their poncos. But the Altus is a cross between a poncho and a rain coat, with a zip front and a generous amount of material in the back, which allows you to throw it over your pack before putting your arms in the sleeves and doing up the zip. Mind you, putting it on in a force 6 gale as I have done is a trifle taxing and calls for some gymnastics that 60 somethings don't normally practice.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Alan Pearce said:
Hi Tyrrek

I have also helped pilgrims with their poncos. But the Altus is a cross between a poncho and a rain coat, with a zip front and a generous amount of material in the back, which allows you to throw it over your pack before putting your arms in the sleeves and doing up the zip. Mind you, putting it on in a force 6 gale as I have done is a trifle taxing and calls for some gymnastics that 60 somethings don't normally practice.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.
Hi Alan! Yes, I know these are great things, and I would definitely look Altus ponchos if walking any time around the winter. I just think for a June walk it might be overkill in terms of the additional cost when the jacket is already bought and rain relatively rare. A cost of around $50-100 to stay dry in a rain shower would be expensive to me but, hey, I'm Scottish. :lol: I have no strong views either way.

Buen Camino!

& live in Yorkshire!

Sorry no-offense intended, just trying to be funny :wink:

The only great thing about a poncho is it sort of make you look like a real pilgrim.........
We had them as kids & I didn't like them then, & I'm too old to change now :mrgreen:

Abbeydore said:
Sorry no-offense intended, just trying to be funny :wink:
None taken. It is indeed the perfect storm of tightness...and being accustomed to rain! :shock:

Tincatinker said:
An umbrella, folds easily and neatly, lightweight, very breathable, no need even to stop walking while you deploy it. Good for spooking those ankle nipping cattle-dogs too.
Absolutely right in my experience!
I bought a really large umbrella in Burgos years ago for about 18 Euros. On all of my 4 caminos, it has been "the" solution: easy to carry, useful under rain or sun, quick to open and close according to circumstances. I left my poncho at home.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oh you've reminded me:, yes my partner purchased a rubbish poncho, then another & then after getting to Santiago an umbrella for posh occasions :lol: , she's very happy now; me too cause poncho's gone :)

putting it on in a force 6 gale as I have done is a trifle taxing and calls for some gymnastics
Ponchos that pull over one's head are the most difficult to use, and often require the assistance of another person to arrange around the backpack.

I have taken a lightweight umbrella, but it is incompatible with trekking poles. It was great for hot, wet evenings, though.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
falcon269 said:

For me also Altus is the best one. A real life saver in snow storms in April. Like falcon on and off all the time depending on the weather. Combined with knee long gaiters.
Secondly I carry my Arcteryx Beta SL Jacket everywhere - shell jacket and only 279 g = 9.8 oz.
my jacket is black.

Wow...lots to think about. Thanks everyone for all of the advice and tips. I really appreciate it. Leave two weeks from today.,,getting excited!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.