• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poncho with Rain Pants

Waka

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Some but not all, and other routes too.
Good Morning Pilgrims

As I mentioned in and earlier thread I have opted for the poncho over the jacket, I have read somewhere that also rain pants are advised. These I have, but am wondering if they are really necessary, if I leave these at home it will save 420 grams on my pack weight.
As usual all suggestions considered.

Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Three simple truths: If it does not rain hard, you won't need them. If you leave them home, it will rain hard. If you take them, it won't rain.

I've done 3 Caminos and only needed the pants one day. If I didn't have them on that one day though, I would not have been able to walk. On one September day, freezing sideways rain and howling winds on a mountain kept everyone else inside shelter until about 1:00pm. Maybe that wasn't too bad but I wanted to walk.

I'll always take mine.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I think it may depend on when you're walking. In October last year I walked in driving rain for three days, and fell so in love with my rain pants I could have married them!

I agree with Robo though, the ones you have seem very heavy. Mine only weighed 195gms.

Columbia Rebel Roamer rain pants for me. Not particularly light but the price was right. 9.8oz/278 grams.

it will save 420 grams on my pack weight

That seems a bit heavy. My Sierra Design pants are 210 grams. I have taken them a couple of times, but never used them. On one camino with 26 days of rain in May, they would have been handy, but were back home in the storage bin! I think I just prefer wet lower legs; they do dry pretty quickly in intermittent or light rain.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
2 Caminos later both with rain and mud and I would recommend a good poncho ( I bought a ferrino in St Jean) and rain pants. They kept my feet dry and that splashed mud off my pants. Also in April they were an extra layer at times.
I had a cheap Rainbird brand that weighed hardly anything though fell apart at the end.

Waka, it just depends on you.
My hips get cold and ache, so I like having rain pants.
My walking partner, Joe, wears shorts even in the cold and rain.
It's just a personal thing.
If you have an ALTUS poncho, it will cover you to your knees.

A poncho will keep you dry for a short period. The pants a bit longer. If you haven't opted for a quality set you will suffer from lack of ventilation and your own sweat will make you wetter than the rain. I always carry never mind the weight, if you need them you need them, but ventilation is no small issue even with a good set so I always think twice before breaking them out.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The blessed Bill Bryson recounts, in Small Island, meeting two good Yorkshire lasses hiking in vests and shorts in proper Yorkshire weather ( cold and wet): their explanation "skin drys faster than cloth". Or as Bill Tidy had it (in reference to a potential tsunami on Brighton (England) beach "Roll up your trousers to the knee. Krakatoa has exploded".

Shorts under a poncho has worked well for me but you need to be aware of the potential chilling effects of continuous rain and wind.

Thanks for all the advice, I've decided that I'll take them along, as has been said I may never need them.
I have bought a pair that zip from the top and the bottom so I can get load of ventilation.
Another decision made, still loads more floating around my head, just less than 2 months left before I taker that big step in SJPdP.

I think it may depend on when you're walking. In October last year I walked in driving rain for three days, and fell so in love with my rain pants I could have married them!

I agree with Robo though, the ones you have seem very heavy. Mine only weighed 195gms.
What brand of pain pants did you use?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Good Morning Pilgrims

As I mentioned in and earlier thread I have opted for the poncho over the jacket, I have read somewhere that also rain pants are advised. These I have, but am wondering if they are really necessary, if I leave these at home it will save 420 grams on my pack weight.
As usual all suggestions considered.

Buen Camino.
I've never used rain pants. It's hot enough with just the poncho, that and I don't mind wet shoes or lower pant legs.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I kept my pants dry by taking them of! Walking in my undies and leather boots under my poncho.
All accorded within the spirit of that moment of course. :)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back