• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poncho?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I used a Tsonmall Poncho from Amazon for $15 us. Worked well, covers pack too. It might not last 10 years but was good for the Camino.

I love love love the ALTUS.
1. It covers me and my pack all the way down to my ankles, keeping even my feet dry
2. It zips all the way down, so I don't have to stop and take it off and on while walking. I don't have to take off my pack either. I can just slip my arms out and let it hang off my pack. Then if it starts raining, slip my arms back in.
3. I have used it as a blanket in the Roncesvalles albergue and it kept me toasty warm.
4. It can substitute as my windbreaker or outer layer so I don't have to carry a jacket

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I like the Sea to Summit tarp ponchos and have used them for years. Beside standard 'poncho' use, they also can be configured into a tent-like shelter by using your trekking poles (Yes, I know that's not a big feature on the Camino but I use my gear for many of uses too :D). Once you learn 'the dance' required to easily put it on, it a great lightweight item that takes up very little room in your pack.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I can't give enough praise to the Altus Poncho.

The Altus Poncho is durable and long (I'm over 6 foot).
It snaps up the front, which allows for ventilation.

When walking, a big decision you must make is... when to put on your rain gear.

Rain Coat/Jacket
This requires that you stop, remove your Pack, put on the Coat/Jacket, and put the Pack back on.
This is OK for clearly defined storms. It is useless for off-and-on drizzle (in Spanish that is pronounced Galicia). Taking the Coat/Jacket off/on is time consuming.

Typical (American) Poncho
This is closed in the front. No ventilation. Great for standing in the Rain, not for walking.

Altus Poncho
It is a bit pricey. It is available in SJPdP, but should be preOrdered.
It has room for a full Pack and has three snaps to minimize it, when not required... like after arriving at an Albergue.
It has a row of snap in the front. Opening can help with ventilation.

It's big feature is.... You're walking in the off-n-on drizzle of Galicia. When the rain stops, you open it up, take out your arms, and let it hang from your Pack (Like the Hunchback of Notre Dame wearing a Superman cape). If it is windy, you tie the poncho-arms around your chest.
When the rain starts again... you slip in your arms and do up the snaps. Waterproof again. Quick, easy, no stopping.
So.... three choices
1 Fully closed
2 All open
3 Hang from Pack

A Very Popular misconception........ A Rain Coat Keep You Dry!
They do not!
Rain Coat's give you a choice....
1)Leave it OFF and get wet from Rain.
or
2)Put it ON and get wet from Sweating.
This is why ventilation is soooo important.
On the Camino, your walking up a hill, with a full Pack, in the rain. You will sweat.

I can remember, one Drizzly day, walking on the Camino like a Zombie... arm straight in front of me.
I was walking into the wind/rain and my Altus Poncho sleeves (unsnapped). They where catching the wind and cooling (drying?) my arms and torso.

(another time) I was walking across the Meseta, it was on and off rain and a 50 to 80 Kph wind. The Pilgrims with the simple Ponchos, with side snaps, looked like they were wearing a plastic flag that was tied to their necks. Their Ponchos had failed.

The Altus Poncho is also durable. A couple of times I went off trail to take a Picture. My Poncho got snagged. One time, it did tear (an inch long), considering the barb-wire and tug I felt... that wasn't bad.

If you check the picture of us (on the left of the page) we are in Galicia and wearing our Altus Ponchos.

Last edited:
I like the Sea to Summit tarp ponchos and have used them for years. Beside standard 'poncho' use, they also can be configured into a tent-like shelter by using your trekking poles (Yes, I know that's not a big feature on the Camino but I use my gear for many of uses too :D). Once you learn 'the dance' required to easily put it on, it a great lightweight item that takes up very little room in your pack.

Yes, you can use the ALTUS this way as well.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You can buy an ALTUS in SJPP, in Zubiri, in Pamplona and in Sarria. I'm sure you can get it in the larger cities of Burgos, Leon, and Astorga also.
For the record, if you're starting in Pamplona it is about €10 less there.

I bought an Altus mid-Camino and gave away my sturdy tarp poncho because I wanted sleeves and I was tired of the wind blowing my poncho every which way. It was an excellent decision, however, the Altus did not keep me as dry as my thick tarp poncho (especially the sleeves), but it was much more manageable and easy to use. I ended up pulling my arms in like it was a tarp poncho and that worked perfectly. I think the thing to remember about the Altus is you need warm clothing underneath (this June we had 47 degree weather one day and 97 degree the next) and it is not made for warmth the way some ponchos are. EDIT I bought mine in Santo Domingo which has two well stocked hiking stores with everything one could imagine: first aid, shoes, clothing, rain gear . . . .

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is quite a difference between the current models of the Altus and my old one. The current one is much lighter, but it has elastic at the hem of the sleeve, instead of velcro. The elastic seems to cause water "creep" inside. I also feel that mine is more waterproof - but have no science to back that. It is just my impression.

I can't give enough praise to the Altus Poncho.

The Altus Poncho is durable and long (I'm over 6 foot).
It snaps up the front, which allows for ventilation.

When walking, a big decision you must make is... when to put on your rain gear.

Rain Coat/Jacket
This requires that you stop, remove your Pack, put on the Coat/Jacket, and put the Pack back on.
This is OK for clearly defined storms. It is useless for off-and-on drizzle (in Spanish that is pronounced Galicia). Taking the Coat/Jacket off/on is time consuming.

Typical (American) Poncho
This is closed in the front. No ventilation. Great for standing in the Rain, not for walking.

Altus Poncho
It is a bit pricey. It is available in SJPdP, but should be preOrdered.
It has room for a full Pack and has three snaps to minimize it, when not required... like after arriving at an Albergue.
It has a row of snap in the front. Opening can help with ventilation.

It's big feature is.... You're walking in the off-n-on drizzle of Galicia. When the rain stops, you open it up, take out your arms, and let it hang from your Pack (Like the Hunchback of Notre Dame wearing a Superman cape). If it is windy, you tie the poncho-arms around your chest.
When the rain starts again... you slip in your arms and do up the snaps. Waterproof again. Quick, easy, no stopping.
So.... three choices
1 Fully closed
2 All open
3 Hang from Pack

A Very Popular misconception........ A Rain Coat Keep You Dry!
They do not!
Rain Coat's give you a choice....
1)Leave it OFF and get wet from Rain.
or
2)Put it ON and get wet from Sweating.
This is why ventilation is soooo important.
On the Camino, your walking up a hill, with a full Pack, in the rain. You will sweat.

I can remember, one Drizzly day, walking on the Camino like a Zombie... arm straight in front of me.
I was walking into the wind/rain and my Altus Poncho sleeves (unsnapped). They where catching the wind and cooling (drying?) my arms and torso.

(another time) I was walking across the Meseta, it was on and off rain and a 50 to 80 Kph wind. The Pilgrims with the simple Ponchos, with side snaps, looked like they were wearing a plastic flag that was tied to their necks. Their Ponchos had failed.

The Altus Poncho is also durable. A couple of times I went off trail to take a Picture. My Poncho got snagged. One time, it did tear (an inch long), considering the barb-wire and tug I felt... that wasn't bad.

If you check the picture of us (on the left of the page) we are in Galicia and wearing our Altus Ponchos.

Good post. How old is your Altus? Mine has a YKK zip up the front+ velcro and velcro+elastic at the wrists but your seems to have snaps up the front?

Just noticed you live in Thunder Bay - lived on Victoria Avenue for two years in the 70's.

How's the Sleeping Giant?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Store is Boutique du Pelerin/Direction Compostelle.
Here is their web.

You might use the handy email contact form on their site to ask what they have in stock and at what price.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.