• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poncho

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Along with the poncho, you may want to bring something to belt it close to your body. I normally wear my poncho loose, but in Galicia I ran into umbrella eating winds that turned the poncho into a giant sail.
Spare shoe laces tied together are great around the poncho!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The beauty of carrying a poncho is that it is lightweight; packs away economically, drys quickly and any hint of rain can be accessed immediately from pouch in front of packs and as quickly as raindrops fall can be pulled over body and pack without having to break stride or open main pack to retrieve rain jacket. It can also be used as protection against sun. An umbrella has its uses but more so to offer shade from the sun. Its pretty hopeless as protection against diagonal rain and any hint of wind makes an enjoyable walk In the rain a fight between maintaining shape of umbrella and mother nature. Have a look around and count number of umbrella versus poncho 🤠

Last edited:
A
The beauty of carrying a poncho is that it is lightweight; packs away economically, drys quickly and any hint of rain can be accessed immediately from pouch in front of packs and as quickly as raindrops fall can be pulled over body and pack without having to break stride or open main pack to retrieve rain jacket. It can also be used as protection against sun. An umbrella has its uses but more so to offer shade from the sun. Its pretty hopeless as protection against diagonal rain and any hint of wind makes an enjoyable walk In the rain a fight between maintaining shape of umbrella and
mother nature. Have a look around and count number of umbrella versus poncho 🤠
Agree. Plus, umbrella is not good choice when you walk into a forest path. There are moments you have to walk bowed and an open umbrella is not convinient.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would ditch it regardless and get an umbrella.

I carry both. I can use one or the other or both at once.
In the rain my poncho is only zipped to above my waist with the hands free brolly, so I don't get condensation.
In the sun the brolly means I don't have to wear a hat.

Plus my brolly has only been defeated by wind a few times. Yeah, not so good on narrow wooded paths though.

Davey

I always carry both!

The poncho is so versatile.
One year in Roncesvalles, one of my walkers forgot her sleeping bag. It was colder than heck!
I gave her my sleeping bag and used my ALTUS poncho to cover up with and slept toasty and warm.
It keeps my shoes dry and the wind off.

The umbrella is excellent for both shade and rain.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.