• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ponderada or Villa franca start? And last minute nerves. Advice please

DancingQueen15

Time of past OR future Camino
Not sure
Hello Everyone,
I'd really like some help and advice. I decided last week that I'd really love to do this camino and if I didn't use this little window that I had, I didn't know when I would next be able to go. ThenI found this amazing forum and spent the next few days reading.

So the return flights to Santiago from London are booked. I have nearly all of my kit finalised and it should come in at around 5kgs (10% of my bodyweight) not Inc water nor food. Kit has been selected after reading on here. So I'm happy with this.
I arrive Thursday morning and plan to start walking on Friday morning. I have 9 full days to walk, and I'm of average fitness, and will be walking by myself - so a lone female.
It's just that my excitement is turning to nerves and I have a few last minute questions:
- I was going to start in Ponderada but not sure if I'm pushing it to complete in 9 days. Also I have seen the safety alert from today for this stage. I did see in another thread the idea of starting in Villafranca, and starting one stage later. Which do you think would be better?
-I arrive at 9.30 at santiago airport. I'll then take the 11.10 Empresa Freire bus to Lugo and change there. I would get to Ponferrada (if I started here) at 3.30pm. Will I still get bed at this time? I'd rather stay with pilgrims for my first night than book a single room in hotel. Should I phone and book tomorrow? Spanish is pants, but worth a try if I need
-I also need to get a passport on Thursday. Are these easy to get in both places?
-can I buy poles anywhere before I start? I am coming over with hand luggage so need to buy when I arrive.

I am usually a very confident traveller, but then I normally have all my accommodation booked for a trip. This is very outside my comfort zone.

All thoughts and advice welcome.
Thank you

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
DancingQueen15,

Welcome to the Forum!
If you do decide to start in Ponferrada you might consider staying in the parish albergue Nicolas de Flue. Centrally located near the Templar castle they offer 186 places. Although they do not accept reservations they do issue Credencials. If you Google the terms Ponferrada and sports stores you will see a list of possible shops for your poles marked on a handy map.

Good luck and Buen camino!

MM

Last edited:
Hi, DancingQueen,
If you are worried about finding a bed in Ponferrada (and I do think that in 9 days you can reach Santiago if you are reasonably fit -- it's about 200 km), you could email one of the private albergues in town. I have stayed at the private albergue Alea, and you can email them for a reservation. It's small, very nice, very close to the big parish albergue Margaret describes. The two women who run the Alea are delightful, and their website has all the info you would need to book: http://alberguealea.com

Welcome to the forum, and buen camino, let us know how it goes! Laurie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I never liked Ponferrada, too self-satisfied of a place, does have a wonderful church. Villafranca is more of a "real" place, good food, wonderful wine, history, and no fake castles. Downside? You will be facing a first day out steep climb. Nothing hysteric if you are in good shape, but it is somewthing to consider. O'Cebreiro has an enviable history, modern reality is a bit less. My recommendation? Start at Villafranca, stop before the climb to O'Cebreiro say Herrerias (lovely village) or La Faba, and walk on.

Hello Dancing Queen. Just my thought on your first question. It is definitely possible to walk from Ponferrada in 9 days. I have walked it once in 8 days, and once in 10 days. Still, this was after some weeks of walking and my fitness level had increased by then. So If I was in your shoes, I would start in Villafranca, just to be sure not to have stress about arriving in Santiago in time (also because this is your first Camino, and maybe you do not know yet how much you want to walk each day). But then again, there is also a case for starting in Ponferrada... Buen Camino, I hope you will do well.

By the way, Scruffy1. I really love that comment, but I am actually not sure what you mean by claiming Ponferrada is a too self-satisfied of a place ?!:)

Last edited:
Hi DancingQueen, welcome to the forum.
I would also start from Villafranca. A beautiful town with a lovely square. I can recommend the Abergue Leo.
Newly opened and run by two sisters helped by their Mother Maria. I had a long chat with Maria ( who speaks excellent English )
about the Camino and Villafranca's important role in the development of the Camino. They've taken their grandparents home
and turned it into a lovely place for pilgrims to stay. A fantastic place to settle your first night nerves. They have their own
website and you could book in advance.

Buen Camino

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you everyone. Its been a great help. Just sat here repacking my bags. I decided to go to Ponferrada just because I could get there much earlier in the day than Villafranca. Either that or i was looking in the wrong place. Feel much happier having a hostel booked for the first night.
And ive booked into the suggested hostel too.
Ive decised that if I find I am walk too slow after a few days to make my target and enjou the camino then I'll bus a stage closer.
I think i will also take up the suggestion for villafranca, as that sounds lovely.
Thanks again, and all excited. Just need to make everything fit back into my bag now......

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hello Everyone,
I'd really like some help and advice. I decided last week that I'd really love to do this camino and if I didn't use this little window that I had, I didn't know when I would next be able to go. ThenI found this amazing forum and spent the next few days reading.

So the return flights to Santiago from London are booked. I have nearly all of my kit finalised and it should come in at around 5kgs (10% of my bodyweight) not Inc water nor food. Kit has been selected after reading on here. So I'm happy with this.
I arrive Thursday morning and plan to start walking on Friday morning. I have 9 full days to walk, and I'm of average fitness, and will be walking by myself - so a lone female.
It's just that my excitement is turning to nerves and I have a few last minute questions:
- I was going to start in Ponderada but not sure if I'm pushing it to complete in 9 days. Also I have seen the safety alert from today for this stage. I did see in another thread the idea of starting in Villafranca, and starting one stage later. Which do you think would be better?
-I arrive at 9.30 at santiago airport. I'll then take the 11.10 Empresa Freire bus to Lugo and change there. I would get to Ponferrada (if I started here) at 3.30pm. Will I still get bed at this time? I'd rather stay with pilgrims for my first night than book a single room in hotel. Should I phone and book tomorrow? Spanish is pants, but worth a try if I need
-I also need to get a passport on Thursday. Are these easy to get in both places?
-can I buy poles anywhere before I start? I am coming over with hand luggage so need to buy when I arrive.

I am usually a very confident traveller, but then I normally have all my accommodation booked for a trip. This is very outside my comfort zone.

All thoughts and advice welcome.
Thank you
Hi, can't help you there but I will wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

You should get a bed ok in Ponferada. When the Nicolas de flue albergue fills up they turn the library/sitting area into a dorm and when that fills they lay out mattresses in the large covered area at tthe front door. However, I might be inclined to start from Villafranca as the walk from Ponferada is mostly road/pavement slogging

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back