• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ponferrada-Santiago 7-8 walking days

Doradora

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2017
Hola everyone,
I have 7-8 days to walk from Ponferrada to Santiago. I have my accommodation in Santiago for 24 July. I won't carry my luggage, therefore I need to plan the stages. I am 31 and quite fit (I walk everyday 1,5 hours + do sports regularly). Could you suggest an itinerary for 7 or 8 days? I know lots of people will say savour the journey, don't rush, start from earlier etc. I don't have more days off from work and would like to do it in 7-8 days and would like to plan it.
Thanks for the suggestions!
Dora

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Dora,

As you probably know, it's about 210 kms from Ponferrada to Santiago, with quite a few hills along the way. 8 walking days will mean an average of around 26kms per day. Doing this in 7 days would be quite an undertaking. I walked it in 9 days - I'm quite fit, but a good bit older than you.

The planning tool on the godesalco website will help you to plan an itinerary based on your requirements. Many people choose to plan ahead and book their accommodation in advance, but this can be quite restrictive, especially when based on ambitious walking distances. If your bag is already en-route to your booked accommodation, you can't change your plans, even if you need to because of e.g. weather or injury.

If your start point and your available days are set in stone, you could make things a little easier by taking a bus from Ponferrada to Villafranca del Bierzo. This would take 25kms off your total walking distances and allow you to include at least one shorter walking day in your itinerary.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Nuala

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
WOW! Good luck, I did that stretch in 13 days with one extra day off in Sarria.

I walked the Camino Frances last year and took 8 days from Molinaseca (a little distance before Ponferrada). My night stops were: Villafranca del Bierzo, O Cebreiro, Triacastela, Mercadoiro, Palas de Rei, Ribadiso de Baixo and Lavacolla. I arrived in Santiago mid-morning of day 8. I would describe myself as a fairly experienced long-distance walker and someone who enjoys long days. I had also had the rest of the Camino Frances to get into shape. It is certainly possible for a fit person to walk in the time frame you have suggested but many people would struggle with it. Only you will be able to judge your own fitness and capacity for long daily stages.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hmmm. Know thy limits. Please consider another plan if this one does not work out. Eg wake up get sellos( stamps) bus to next stage. Walk it. You can still get the compestalla if you desire. Either way enjoy for you will return.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi! I think it's absolutely possible. I'm your age and I did it 3 years ago with my backpack and a group of 12 students of whom I was responsible (so I had to assure a common accommodation for all of us). Our plan was quite similar as the one of Bradypus:
Ponferada - Villafranca 24,6 km
Villafranca - O Cebreiro 28,4 km
O Cebreiro - Samos 31 km (at the benedictins' abbey)
Samos - Portomarin 39 km
Portomarin - Palas de Rei 25 km
Palas de Rei -Ribadixo dei Baixo 26,4 km
Ribadixo dei Baixo - Monte de Gozo 37,2 km
These were 7 days. We stopped in Monte de Gozo about 1-2 pm as we had decided earlier to enter the next day in Santiago the very morning to avoid crowds in the Pilgrims' Office and then attend the mess at 12. But it was possible as well to rest a bit and make the lat 4 kms the same day. So we've done it formally in 8 days, but with this distribution 7 were possible as well.
Last but not least, I've chosen the bigger stops just to find a place for a group to sleep. But of course, there are many nice and cozy places in between that would surely make the distances more equal.
Buen camino!

First camino 2001, I was 39 and averaged about 30kms a day with ease. I ususally soaked feet after walk and was ready to go next day. If you can find more time try. Reason being to enjoy the sights a bit more.
Buen camino.

Myself and a friend walked this in 7 days, so it's quite possible. It was 30 years ago though- I'd probably enjoy ambling along in twice the time nowadays.

Have a great Camino, whatever the speed.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi,

Five days. Easy.

If you are fit and don't have any unforeseen blisters, foot or leg problems you won't have any problem. I'm a 49 year-old male and I walked it with ease in five days in May 2017. I was not in a hurry. I simply encountered glorious weather and enjoyed being outside walking. I had good feet, good legs and a good head. I loved it. Galicia in sunshine is heaven. This is where I stopped:

Ponferrada to Trabadelo (albergue municipal)

Trabadelo to Triacastela (albergue municipal)

Triacastela to Portomarin (albergue municipal)

Portomarin to Melide (albergue municipal)

Melide to Arca (albergue municipal)

Arca to Santiago (seminario menor)

If the weather had been awful or if my health poor I would have taken 10 days if necessary. But as I said, the weather was glorious and I was having the time of my life. So if you are fit and healthy and have good feet you can easily do this in your time frame. That said, I walked this after having walked for three weeks and I was in prime condition. I was not just beginning my walk as you will be doing so perhaps keep that in mind. My body was used to walking 30 or 40 (or more) kilometers a day and yours will not be.

In any event, just listen to your body and keep and eye on the weather. Enjoy! :)

Thank you very much everyone for the answers and suggestions!!!!

I decided for 8 walking days and made the planning:
Ponferrada - Villafranca del Bierzo 24 km
Villafranca del Bierzo - O Cebreiro 28 km
O Cebreiro Tricastela 21.5 km
Tricastela - Sarria 25 km
Sarria Gonzar 31.4 km
Gonzar -Melide 32.2 km
Melide - Salceda 25.9 km
Salceda -Santaigo 28.2 km

This is plan A and let's see what life brings :)!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back