• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ponferrada...several questions

VCB915

Time of past OR future Camino
None
Hi all,

I am hiking the Camino for the first time. Woo woo!! I arrive in Madrid and then I am hoping to take the train to Ponferrada and hike for 10 days (or so) to Santiago. I have a few random questions:

1)Where can I buy a train ticket from Madrid to Ponferrada?

2)If I arrive in Madrid at 5 pm, I should probably just sleep the night in Madrid and take an early morning train to Ponferrada and then start the Camino then? If that makes sense, does anyone have hotel recommendations in Madrid?

3) I am hiking June 28th-July 10th. Do I need a sleeping bag?

4) Any hotel recommendations in Santiago?

If anyone has any answers to these questions or general words of wisdom- please let me know. I am excited! Yet a bit nervous :)

Thanks,

Veronica

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For train tickets, you can buy them at the train station or at the Renfe office at the Madrid-Barajas airport. You can check connections on the Renfe site: http://www.renfe.com
Theoretically you can buy tickets from the site, but people report lots of trouble with that. I haven't been successful with it myself. The last train at a reasonable hour leaves at 5:05pm, so you'll miss that one. In the morning, there is a train at 10:30 from Madrid-Chamartin station though.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi!
:) I'm starting in the same point just a little bit earlier and ending one day before!

I also start from Madrid - my plane arrives in the evening, so I booked one room in booking.com that was cheaper and recommends was alright. Unfortunately I booked the room little bit away from the train station but that's ok, just means I have to take a metro in the morning. Like I understand in Madrid there is the airport and Chamartin region is quite near - I booked my room about 15 minutes metro ride away, but it cost 25 euros and I saw in booking.com in Chamartin region there were about 48 eurs a night. I recommend to check out places in booking.com - always have helped me.

So - I bought my train ticket from Madrid-Chamartin train station to Ponferrada. The same one, 10:30 that arrives to Ponferrada 15:05 so I'm planning to stay a night in there. Don't know yet how it works out but that's the plan :p
I had just one trouble with the renfe page - it went from english to spanish now and then but then I just started again and paid for the ticket and now it waits when I print it out.

I ordered a silk bag - but I don't know if that makes to me before I fly away. Still crossing my fingers! They say that bed bugs don't like silk that much, also it keeps you warmer if colder and cool when warmer. And that there are many people with us in the room so it may get hot in sleeping bag. I'm gonna take ma chances - if I get cold, I can put layers on, use my poncho or buy myself a sleeping bag if needed.

I booked a room in Santiago here: http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/abrente.et.html
Just because of the recommendations.

This is my first Camino also and maybe we'll see in Santiago. Buen Camino!

1)Where can I buy a train ticket from Madrid to Ponferrada?
When you arrive in Madrid, there is a train office downstairs in the T4 Terminal.
You can purchase tickets there or at the much larger Atocha station in Madrid.
You can take the Cercanius from the airport to Atocha (which I prefer over Chamartin)

2)If I arrive in Madrid at 5 pm, I should probably just sleep the night in Madrid and take an early morning train to Ponferrada and then start the Camino then? If that makes sense, does anyone have hotel recommendations in Madrid?

Go to www.booking.com and find an affordable room near the Atocha train station. Really, anyplace in Central Madrid near the Sofia Reina or Prado museum will be near Atocha train station. Booking will ask for a credit card. I've used it for years and never had a problem.

3) I am hiking June 28th-July 10th. Do I need a sleeping bag? No, but you will want a lightweight sleep sheet or liner.

4) Any hotel recommendations in Santiago? I love San Martin Pinario. It is literally right across the street from the Cathedral. But you will need reservations. You can book a regular room (more expensive) on booking. Or you can email them and ask for a "pilgrim room" which is clean, but much more spartan and less expensive. The price includes a large buffet breakfast.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi!
:) I'm starting in the same point just a little bit earlier and ending one day before!

I also start from Madrid - my plane arrives in the evening, so I booked one room in booking.com that was cheaper and recommends was alright. Unfortunately I booked the room little bit away from the train station but that's ok, just means I have to take a metro in the morning. Like I understand in Madrid there is the airport and Chamartin region is quite near - I booked my room about 15 minutes metro ride away, but it cost 25 euros and I saw in booking.com in Chamartin region there were about 48 eurs a night. I recommend to check out places in booking.com - always have helped me.

So - I bought my train ticket from Madrid-Chamartin train station to Ponferrada. The same one, 10:30 that arrives to Ponferrada 15:05 so I'm planning to stay a night in there. Don't know yet how it works out but that's the plan :p
I had just one trouble with the renfe page - it went from english to spanish now and then but then I just started again and paid for the ticket and now it waits when I print it out.

I ordered a silk bag - but I don't know if that makes to me before I fly away. Still crossing my fingers! They say that bed bugs don't like silk that much, also it keeps you warmer if colder and cool when warmer. And that there are many people with us in the room so it may get hot in sleeping bag. I'm gonna take ma chances - if I get cold, I can put layers on, use my poncho or buy myself a sleeping bag if needed.

I booked a room in Santiago here: http://www.booking.com/hotel/es/abrente.et.html

Hopefully we will bump into one another!!! Thanks for all the great advice. I am getting excited/nervous/mildly terrified! Woo woo :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi!

Hello, I wish you a great journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hopefully we will bump into one another!!! Thanks for all the great advice. I am getting excited/nervous/mildly terrified! Woo woo :)
Hi, excited yes , nervous yes but you don't have to be terrified. You will meet lots of people along your Camino. Making new friends and having a great time. Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

I made this exact journey this year, it seems like you have had plenty of responses so I will keep it simple. I got my train ticket in advance through the Renfe website (also saw people in the train station buying them there). Not sure if the schedule changes but I stayed in Madrid overnight and caught a train about 10.30am the next day, arriving mid-late afternoon ready to start my walk the next day from Ponferrada. You'll probably not need a sleeping bag at that time of year but take a liner or something just incase, some albergues provide blankets which is useful if it gets cold!

I am sure that you will love this part of the camino, it is a varied route and on that first day as you leave Ponferrada and begin your walk you will be blown away by the scenery, it is simply beautiful.

Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Veronica - I stayed at a lovely boutique hotel in Santiago:
http://www.carrishoteles.com/en/hot...-casa-de-la-troya-santiago-de-compostela.html
Great location - central but very quiet. Lovely rooms.
If you arrive on July 10th which is a Friday be sure (maybe you know this and have planned it this way) to head for the cathedral that evening....they do the Botafumeiro every Friday evening at 7:30pm....get there about 6:45pm to get a good seat! I saw it earlier this year - spectacular....
Buen Camino...

Trains to Ponferrada leave from Madrid Chamartin station. You can buy a ticket there.

You can also buy a ticket at the Renfe Cercanias station at Madrid Airport T4. You then take the Cercanias train to Chamartin.

Thanks all! I am currently on a bus to ponferreda!! I am excited but nervous as well. A few more questions...

If I arrive around 1:30, should I start hiking today or just find somewhere to stay and get up early tomorrow? Also any hostel recommendations in ponferreda? Thanks!!!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back