• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ponferrada to Compostella May 1-15

Katy White

KatyDid
Time of past OR future Camino
May 2018
Hi! Would like to get some feedback about the weather and women’s clothing choices during this time period. Too cold for shorts? What about rain? Thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Katy: In 2016 I walked the Frances, Pamplona to Burgos and Ponferrada to Santiago, the latter segment at just about the same time you will be on that route. We had showers many of the days in Galicia (no surprise there) but only a couple really rainy days. I would not plan a walking trip through Galicia without rain gear. A lightweight rain jacket with a pack cover, or poncho should be enough. I used a "Parcho" which I made. It is kind of a combo poncho and raincoat with odd sleeves and a full front zip (important for ventilation and avoiding too much condensation). I didn't have rainpants and did not miss them.

I always hike/walk in a skirt and have lightweight merino tights to wear under the skirt for cooler days. I wore these most mornings. If the day warmed up, I could easily remove the tights. My avatar shows me in skirt and short sleeve tee on the way up O'Cebreiro, on a gorgeous day, perfect for a walk. I had that short sleeve merino tee and a long sleeve version. Probably wore the long sleeve more often, but then I am often colder than most. I had other layers for warmth. Multiple light layers are better than one or two thick ones as you can adjust more readily to varied conditions. I'm sure you can find many gear lists by searching the forum. They will include various schemes for clothing. Feel free to PM me for more detail on what worked for me. Whatever you go with, try it out on walks at home to be sure it works. You don't want to find out your shirt itches and your bottoms chafe once you arrive in Spain.:eek:

I suggest you give some thought to the skirt and merino or tech-wick tights combo, more versatile than pants/shorts IMO. I will be back in Spain two weeks from now to cover the miles I did not have time for in 2016, walking from SJPP to Pamplona, then Burgos to Ponferrada. If time allows I will add Muxia too. Skirt and tights will be my everyday wear. Because I am going so early this year, I will be bringing a pair of fleece tights as well as the lightweight merino. Best wishes for your Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Katy: In 2016 I walked the Frances, Pamplona to Burgos and Ponferrada to Santiago, the latter segment at just about the same time you will be on that route. We had showers many of the days in Galicia (no surprise there) but only a couple really rainy days. I would not plan a walking trip through Galicia without rain gear. A lightweight rain jacket with a pack cover, or poncho should be enough. I used a "Parcho" which I made. It is kind of a combo poncho and raincoat with odd sleeves and a full front zip (important for ventilation and avoiding too much condensation). I didn't have rainpants and did not miss them.

I always hike/walk in a skirt and have lightweight merino tights to wear under the skirt for cooler days. I wore these most mornings. If the day warmed up, I could easily remove the tights. My avatar shows me in skirt and short sleeve tee on the way up O'Cebreiro, on a gorgeous day, perfect for a walk. I had that short sleeve merino tee and a long sleeve version. Probably wore the long sleeve more often, but then I am often colder than most. I had other layers for warmth. Multiple light layers are better than one or two thick ones as you can adjust more readily to varied conditions. I'm sure you can find many gear lists by searching the forum. They will include various schemes for clothing. Feel free to PM me for more detail on what worked for me. Whatever you go with, try it out on walks at home to be sure it works. You don't want to find out your shirt itches and your bottoms chafe once you arrive in Spain.:eek:

I suggest you give some thought to the skirt and merino or tech-wick tights combo, more versatile than pants/shorts IMO. I will be back in Spain two weeks from now to cover the miles I did not have time for in 2016, walking from SJPP to Pamplona, then Burgos to Ponferrada. If time allows I will add Muxia too. Skirt and tights will be my everyday wear. Because I am going so early this year, I will be bringing a pair of fleece tights as well as the lightweight merino. Best wishes for your Camino.

Thanks so much, this is very helpful! I had not even thought to look into tights and skirt combo. Another question - trying to decide about waterproof shoes. I have been training in non WP Brooks trail shoes and some Merrill WP shoes. The WP shoes are definitely leaving my feet pretty sweaty, which I don't like and makes me concerned about blisters. However, I know wet feet will produce the same effect. I plan to bring both but wondering about what your experience has been?

Also, how do I PM you through here?? Just tried and couldn't seem to find it...

In 2016 on the Frances, I walked in non waterproof trail running shoes, and it worked out well. My shoes and feet got wet a few times, but didn't cause problems. My shoes dried fast. Last year I wore what I would call a "water resistant" trail runner as I wanted more warmth in the shoes. I was out a few weeks earlier on that Camino. That worked out well too. I'm heading out March 23, I'm going with the water resistant warmer shoes. I expect more rain earlier in the season, and some colder weather too. I didn't get any blisters either year (hope I'm not jinxing myself for this year!) Your choice of socks is really important too. I use two pair of thin sox, the inner pair are toe sox made by Injinji. I've used this system for years and no more blisters on my toes (so far). Like most things, decisions about shoes and socks are very personal. You'll get all kinds of advice here in the forum. If I were to repeat an early May walk on the Frances, I would use the non-waterproof version of my shoe. As you probably have heard repeated here very often, be sure to wear your shoes for a number of miles and for a number of weeks before heading off to Spain with them.

To PM, go to the top bar, right hand side of the page and click on the "inbox". You will have the opportunity to "start a new conversation". Click that and you can then enter the name of the individual you wish to communicate with. You can "converse" with one or several forum members. Ciao!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Katy White , hi

While of the male persuasion I have worn a skirt (it rather looks much like a kilt) for the past four years - the first two were training and the next two on camino in Europe and the UK.

Before that I wore shorts. The kilt, for me, provides warmth and built in ventilation.

Whether kilt or shorts I wear pressure hose (ankle to top of calf for varicose veins), liner socks and ankle socks. I also wear cheap ($2 shop) athelic bandage holders over the pressure hose at the calves.

All up this keeps my legs warm in cold weather (or early mornings) and do not cause me discomfort in hot weather.

I would never consider wearing longs of any type

I hope that provides an answer to your query

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

Last edited:
@Katy White , hi

While of the male persuasion I have worn a skirt (it rather looks much like a kilt) for the past four years - the first two were training and the next two on camino in Europe and the UK.

Before that I wore shorts. The kilt, for me, provides warmth and built in ventilation.

Whether kilt or shorts I wear pressure hose (ankle to top of calf for varicose veins), liner socks and ankle socks. I also wear cheap ($2 shop) athelic bandage holders over the pressure hose at the calves.

All up this keeps my legs warm in cold weather (or early mornings) and do not cause me discomfort in hot weather.

I would never consider wearing longs of any type

I hope that provides an answer to your query

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)
Thank you so very much for this feedback!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back