• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ponferrada to Madrid

Time of past OR future Camino
St Jean To Pamplona (2012)
Pamplona to Logrono ( 2013)
Logrono to Burgos ( 2014)
Burgros to Sahagun (2014)
Sahagun to Sarria (2015)
Sarria to Santiago (2016)
St Jean to Santiago starting 30 April 2017
What are the options to get from Ponferada back to Madrid?

We are flying into Madrid and taking train to Sahagun before walking to Ponferada

Many thanks for any assistance if you have travelled this route before

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, Long Walk, welcome to the forum.

I´m not saying there´s anything wrong with buses, but if I have a choice I go on the train. Here are some of the considerations:

Frequency: There are more buses per day from Ponferrada to Madrid than trains. Weekday buses leave Ponferrada at 1:30 (am), 8:30, 9:30, 10:40, 2:30, 3:30, 5:30, 7:10 (p.m.) Trains are at 1:30 a.m. (overnight trainhotel, you can get a bed, arrives at 8 am), 6:30 am, 12:41 pm.

End point: Some of the buses make a stop at the airport -- are you heading straight home or will you be going into Madrid? If you don´t get off at the airport, they stop at the Estación which is generally out of the way and not centrally located. In fact, if I were going into Madrid, I think I would get off at the airport and take the train into Sol or wherever you are going because it´s likely to be much quicker). Trains all stop at Chamartin station. From there to the airport it´s a quick ride on a commuter train, at least if you are flying in and out of T4 (if you fly Iberia, American, British Airways, or another One World partner, you will go in and out of T4; if you fly any other airline you are at the older T1, 2, or 3 and it´s a bit more complicated to get there from Chamartin).

Duration: Pretty much the same, between 4 1/2 and 5 hours.

Price: Train may be cheaper, depending on whether you can get a good fare online. Fare sales get the train price to between 18-20€, while bus is between 30-40€

I know all of this because a friend is considering meeting me in Ponferrada to walk this summer, and we´ve been looking at transportation options.

Buen camino, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Another option (in addition to train and bus) would be to rent a car (specially useful if you plan to make stops on your way back)... if you have a drivers' license valid for Spain, that's it.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back