• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ponferrada to Santiago - advice request

arbie123

Hello to all

I have the wonderful opportunity to join a small group walking from Ponferrada to Santigo this coming Septemeber.The planned journey is described as a leisurely 14 days! so 12 days walking approximately 10-12 miles (16 to 19 kms) a day.

My only concern is that this may be a little 'too slow and easy', and would welcome the opinions of the forum.

In brief I am 41 years old of 'average' fitness (a little overweight) with no walking experience (though I am shortly starting a programme of training). Up until last year I was fit and used to run fairly regularly however (to muddy the waters further) I broke my ankle last year and it has taken a long time to recover.

I don't want to slog the journey out but at the same time don't want to feel under-acheived. Any thoughts?

Kind Regards

Arbie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello Arbie,

If you are joining a group your pace may depend on whether or not you plan to stay with that group or move along at your own pace. I found that my pace varied depending on whether or not I was with other pilgrims or alone. I tended to walk faster when on my own. Having said that I don't think there is a "standard" pace. You'll settle into something you are comfortable with I am sure.

I am a 56 year old male and walk about 5 k per day 5 days out of 7. Thats the only prep I do. Last year I averaged 25 to 30 k per day with days of as little as 15 to 20. I also took 2 days to rest.

Enjoy all aspects of your camino

Jacobus (James)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Our family (parents, grandparents, 2 teen daughters) did that section a couple of years ago in 8 days without much strain. Doing it in 12 days would mean either walking very slowly or spending a lot of time sitting around. One approach is to agree on the overnight stop and have everyone go at their own pace. It can be very frustrating to walk with someone who is more comfortable going either faster or slower than you are.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I don't want to slog the journey out but at the same time don't want to feel under-acheived. Any thoughts?

Hi Arbie, If you find you're one of the faster walkers in the group perhaps you could go ahead and prepare evening meal for your fellow walkers :D
How about looking for detours? e.g. Vilar de Donas from Portos as mentioned on other threads.

Arbie,

If you choices are to go with the group, or not go, by all means go.

I walked from Ponfarada with a group in September of 2006, and we would just agree to meet at the next stop. If others were along for a while, great. If not, great. Dinners were a joy. The sharing of that day's journey and all.

There will be plenty of time to be alone. Even if you are in the company of others, your thought, and I might add prayers, are yours. The sights you see, the things you experience are all your.

The added benefit is if the group are friends, you have an instant reunion when you return. We still meet regularly and play "remember...."

I wish you the best,

Ultrea,

Jerry

Hello,
I weight more and am less fit that I should be, 41 years old, short and a girl and I can still walk about 4km an hour if it isn't too hilly and if my backpack isn't too heavy. So, you would be looking at 3 to 5 hours of walking a day. So, essentially, you could be finished the day's walking by lunch time (which is not a bad plan as you miss out on the afternoon heat). Having short days needn't be a bad thing as you can talk with peregrinos and be a tourist. In Cacabuelos, you can go swimming in the river (you cross the bridge to get to the albergue). That being said, I would be happier doing a 5 hour day than I would a 3 hour day (unless I ended up in a place with lots of tourist stuff to do). My boyfriend walks faster than me, so on the days he didn't want to 'snail it' he would just go ahead and wait for me at the next bar. It took us 9 days to do this section (and the last day was short as we stayed in Monte Gozo).

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back