• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ponte de Lima and IGREJA SAO SALVADOR in Bravães!!!

scruffy1

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Holy Year from Pamplona 2010, SJPP 2011, Lisbon 2012, Le Puy 2013, Vezelay (partial watch this space!) 2014; 2015 Toulouse-Puenta la Reina (Arles)
Greetings from Jerusalem!
I am fine tuning and making last minute decisions, well, as much as can be done comfortably next to the computer. I am looking around Ponte de Lima considering a day off when I discovered this Romanesque church 14K to the east, located in the village named Bravães. The sculptures and frescoes appear marvelous from 'net pictures well worth the time to get there-I do so love the Romanesque however a 28K walk is not my idea of a day off!! How does one go about it? Anyone been there? The Tourist Info in Ponte de Lima may help, is there a bus? Taxi (mucho €)? Bicycle rental? Please help if you can

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, scruffy,

I have visited the church in Bravaes, about 8 years ago though, and in a car. My notes say that the church was open (!), though I admit I don't remember it too well. The door is beautiful, just as you say. Bravaes is a hamlet about 4 km west of the little town of Ponte da Barca, which is likely to be the destination of any bus going nearby.

Though the church is only 14 km to the east of Ponte de Lima, the easiest way to get to it may be via Ponte da Barca by public transportation from Braga. I don't know if you are planning another detour to Braga (to the east of the Camino, which goes through Barcelos, I think), but you could get a bus from there to Ponte da Barca. Braga is a much bigger city and a regional hub of the Minho area. Buses from Braga to Ponte da Barca go at 5 am (AR. 5:40); 15:30 (AR. 16:20) OR 21:30 (AR 22:20); return from Ponte da Barca to Braga at 8:40 or 14:25. Fare is 9 euros. http://www.renex.pt/ . Sounds complicated.

My experience in Portugal suggests a 1 euro per km taxi fare.

This isn't to say there's not a bus on the east west route between Ponte de Lima and Ponte da Barca, just that I haven't been able to find any information on one. If there is one, it seems extremely likely that it would stop in Bravaes.

buen camino, Laurie
p.s. Aren't you very very close to departure?!

Thanks Laurie!
You are the greatest, again! Yes I leave early Friday morning for Madrid and should be in Lisbon that same afternoon the same hour that my plane leaves Madrid! The wonders of GMT. I do so love the Romanesque, the Camino Frances offers so much: St. Isodoro in Leon and St Martin in Fromista of course, but beyond Gonzar there are three , Vilar de Donas close by Portos, Igreza de Santiago in Barbadello, plus one other which I can't remember where-Portomarin doesn't count since when they removed the building up the hill and beyond the waters they forgot to bring its spirit! I have often stopped hours early to wait for a church to open since the lady with the key went off to market or as at Vilar de Domas, they became Nationalized and thus are open only certain hours. I also love logistic conundrums along the way, often so close but so far away!

Miki

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back