• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ponte de Lima - Santiago: March 1st 2014

Catarina Barreiros

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese
Hi!
We're planning on walking the Camino from Ponte de Lima to Santiago starting on the 1st of March. For the first time!
I have a few questions that I'd be delighted if you could help me with:
Since we're not experienced hikers and wish to 'take it slow' - are 6days enough?
Did anyone walk the Camino in March? Was it ver rainy? And cold?
What kind of backpack did you use? Should I buy a 120L backpack or is this too big?
Do we have to take sleepingbags with us or do the hostels/albergues have bed linen and towels?
How did you organize your day/meals/stops? Did you stop for lunch or just have a snack/sandwich during the day?
How long did you walk each day?
Is anyone planning on walking this strech at these dates?
Thank you in advance for your help - it's really our first time...your experience can surly halp us a lot!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi!
We're planning on walking the Camino from Ponte de Lima to Santiago starting on the 1st of March. For the first time!
Since we're not experienced hikers and wish to 'take it slow' - are 6days enough?
What kind of backpack did you use? Should I buy a 120L backpack or is this too big?
Do we have to take sleepingbags with us or do the hostels/albergues have bed linen and towels?
How did you organize your day/meals/stops? Did you stop for lunch or just have a snack/sandwich during the day?
Thank you in advance for your help - it's really our first time...your experience can surly halp us a lot!

Ola Catharina. These are some questions !

If you follow the guide of Vialusitania or John Brierley 's it will take you 8 days to arrive in Santiago from Ponte de Lima and remind the first day is the hardest, climbing and decending the Alto de Portela mountain between PdL andRubiaes.if you are not experienced walkers this part you will remember a long time ! Underneath I wrote an alternative for people who do not walk so many kms per day but than the trip lasts longer.So for example my wife and I did it in about 10 days from there.walking no more than about 15 to 20 kms per day.
We have no experiences in March but I advise you to read earlier items on this forum and you get all the answers about the weather but nobody owns a crystal ball and can predict the weather that far in the future now but as a help. we walked mainly in May 2013 and every day needed our fleecevests. It was extremely cold that time.
There isa lot of discussion about backpacks on this entire forum but a 120 liters backpack ? What are you intending to take with you ??? We had a 50 liter backpack and some thought we were crazy. Please read in on the forum, specially "Equipment " too ! The hostals have blankets and towels. Albuerges haven't allways. We took a sleeping liner with us and if available drew a blanket on top (also for hygienic sake your own liner is better !)

Depending on the weather most peregrinos rise early and start early. We stopped for a coffee often in a bakeryshop, had a sandwich for lunch, sometimes a menu do dia and at night a diner somewhere but first we tried to reach our next destination of the day.

Ponte de Lima - Rubiaes 18 kms but steep climbing and decending on off road trail so my solution should be as it isa problem to skip this part and see if you will come by bus or taxi in Rubiaes
Where is an albergue. After decending after 8 hours walk we took the first hostal Sao Rogue ,3 km from Rubiaes. We were so tired ! It seems the hills at the camino Ingles are even worse. We will see
Rubiaes--Valença 19 kms. To Tui + 3 kms. In between no lodging possibility InValença different options In Tui is an albergue
Valença/Tui To Porriño 15 kms. Albergue and several hostals
Porriño- Redondela 15 kms. Albergue
Redondela -Pontevedra 18 kms several hostals. Eventually at 7 kms from Redondela some hostals
Pontevedra-Caldas de Reis 23 kms albergues and hotels but at 11 kms albergue nearby San Amaro andat 16 kms albergue in Rotonda
Caldas deReis -Padron. 18 kms. At 5 kms near Carrecedo parillada Antonio and at + 5 km hotel Mosteiro
Padron -Santiago 25 kms but at 11 kms albergue in Teo of we had a nice casa rural in Casalonga +3 kms casa Cruceiro.
Add the few extra albergues you'll findat the website of Vialusitana as being mentioned on this thread by my good friend Diogo and many others on earlier threads like Laurie ( peregrina 2000)

I bet you'll get a lot of responses and reactions on your thread . Take note of them all but as I wrote before..read as much as you can on this forum. Unvaluable information for a beginner, even so for more experienced walkers. We still learn every day from all those kind forum members.
Bom caminho

Last edited:
Hi!

Hello

Taking 6 days from Ponte de Lima to Santiago it's harsh, especially for not so experienced walkers. I believe that you should do some preparation for your walking. I'm not saying that you won't make it if you don't prepare yourself, but an experienced body, it's better than an inexperienced body.

March it's always a rainy and cold month, at least until the mid's. But even if you don't catch rain in Portugal, probably you will find it in Galiza.

For the backpack, you have to downsize everything that you need for at least a 45L backpack. YES, you have to put everything that you need for 8 to 10 days of walking, on a not so big backpack. You should buy a backpack that has a mesh system on the back, and a support system inside, with straps in your chest and in your hips.

About weight, iy should not pass 20 to 25% of your body weight. So if you weight 70kg, you should take maximum 14kg, 17kg if you are in shape and fit. Just don't forget that extra 500g today, are extra 5kg at the end of 10 days.

You have to take sleeping bags, and for March, a very good one if possible. I use a BERG Ultralight Sleeping Bag, which weights only 850g, and that gives me a comfort temperature up until +0º. A liner it's not enough for a March Caminho, because it's still too cold. If you stay in a Hostel you will find towels and blankets, but in Albergues you will find only blankets. Usually after you do your registration, the Albergues give you a disposable liner for your bed and your pillow (99% of them have pillows).

For the meals, we arranged a system of eating at restaurants only at lunch, and for breakfast, dinner and snacks, buy the things in supermarkets of the places where we were going to sleep.

The longest walk that I've done was from Ponte de Lima to Valença, almost 41km. I will not do it again. EVER!

You can also mail me to metalmelitia666@gmail.com I'm Portuguese, but I talk other languages. Check also the recommendation from my good friend @Albertinho , and visit Via Lusitana website at vialusitana.org

Best Regards
Diogo

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello

Taking 6 days from Ponte de Lima to Santiago it's harsh, especially for not so experienced walkers. I believe that you should do some preparation for your walking. I'm not saying that you won't make it if you don't prepare yourself, but an experienced body, it's better than an inexperienced body.

March it's always a rainy and cold month, at least until the mid's. But even if you don't catch rain in Portugal, probably you will find it in Galiza.

For the backpack, you have to downsize everything that you need for at least a 45L backpack. YES, you have to put everything that you need for 8 to 10 days of walking, on a not so big backpack. You should buy a backpack that has a mesh system on the back, and a support system inside, with straps in your chest and in your hips.

About weight, iy should not pass 20 to 25% of your body weight. So if you weight 70kg, you should take maximum 14kg, 17kg if you are in shape and fit. Just don't forget that extra 500g today, are extra 5kg at the end of 10 days.

You have to take sleeping bags, and for March, a very good one if possible. I use a BERG Ultralight Sleeping Bag, which weights only 850g, and that gives me a comfort temperature up until +0º. A liner it's not enough for a March Caminho, because it's still too cold. If you stay in a Hostel you will find towels and blankets, but in Albergues you will find only blankets. Usually after you do your registration, the Albergues give you a disposable liner for your bed and your pillow (99% of them have pillows).

For the meals, we arranged a system of eating at restaurants only at lunch, and for breakfast, dinner and snacks, buy the things in supermarkets of the places where we were going to sleep.

The longest walk that I've done was from Ponte de Lima to Valença, almost 41km. I will not do it again. EVER!

You can also mail me to metalmelitia666@gmail.com I'm Portuguese, but I talk other languages. Check also the recommendation from my good friend @Albertinho , and visit Via Lusitana website at vialusitana.org

Best Regards
Diogo

About the backpack weight.
Except for the kitchensink :D And a sleepingback we had everything we needed in our 50 liters lightweight Oprey backpacks. Excluded water our packs weighted 7,5 kilos and 7 kilos.
Two pants with detachable legs Raincoat ,3 hemds, 3 underpants, 3 pair of socks, sleeping T shirt, sleeping liner, toothbrush, shavinggear ,toiletteries,2 towels,walking poles , some small thinks like a headlamp. crocks .And we walked 600 kms from Lisbon to Santiago. So I took less than 10% of my weight :p With me !
Bom caminho

Last edited:
About the backpack weight.
Except for the kitchensink :D And a sleepingback we had everything we needed in our 50 liters lightweight Oprey backpacks. Excluded water our packs weighted 7,5 kilos and 7 kilos.
Raincoat ,3 hemds, 3 underpants, 3 pair of socks, sleeping T shirt, sleeping liner, toothbrush, shavinggear ,toiletteries,2 towels,walking poles , some small thinks like a headlamp. crocks .And we walked 600 kms from Lisbon to Santiago. So I took less than 10% of my weight :p With me !
Bom caminho

What If I tell you that I already arranged a way to shave 1,5kg from my pack, still including water? :D

Which means that I will take only probably 6.3kg :p

Best Regards
Diogo

Last edited:
Oh! That mountain pass! I remember it well, and will, to my dying day! From my diary "Pilgrimage I" on my web site ....
"At this stage, my legs were beginning to ignore the instructions given by my brain. And I didn’t see the yellow arrows pointing left after the bridge. I climbed another kilometre up the hill towards the church, talking en-route to several cows who were tied up in the meadow. At the church I asked a local where my next night-stop might be. I had to retrace my footsteps back down to the bridge, apologising to the cows who looked at me quizzically, and finally after 22 kms reached the village of Rubiaes and my accommodation. I hobbled in, and booked myself in for TWO nights in order to recover. It was the sixth day of my pilgrimage from Porto. As my wife said “Even God rested on the seventh day…”
It's a beautiful route - so why rush it?
My pack weighs around 9 kms including water - just under 10% of my body weight.
I read Albertinho's comment, and thought "3 underpants? THREE underpants?!?!" I find 2 perfectly adequate, using the usual washing facilities. [But maybe Albertinho has a medical need for three pairs ;)]
P1090258.JPG
I finally stayed two nights in this little hotel - good value and comfortable, at the end of a long hard day.
Bom caminho!

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What If I tell you that I already arranged a way to shave 1,5kg from my pack, still including water? :D

Which means that I will take only probably 6.3kg :p

Best Regards
Diogo
My good friend. Sometimes the lightest backpack is no backpack :D:D:D

What did shave off your backpack. Tell us. You make us curioso !
Todos nós queremos uma mochila leve ! We all want a light backpack

Um abraço disso margem

My good friend. Sometimes the lightest backpack is no backpack :D:D:D

What did shave off your backpack. Tell us. You make us curioso !
Todos nós queremos uma mochila leve ! We all want a light backpack

Um abraço disso margem

I will make a list and post it in here, but I took my 2L Camelback bladder out, and I will take 2x 0.5L foldable water bottles. I shaved 1kg just with that. But there is another number of things that I've changed. When I have the list ready, I will upload it in here.

Best Regards
Diogo

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello

Best Regards
Diogo

Ponte de Lima to Tui was the toughest day for me, but fantastic. Needless to say I slept very well that night. It must have been something in the water :eek:

Hi!

Perhaps you may like to read my blog from Porto to Santiago. There's surely some information that can help you planning your caminho.

http://hermannsdorfer.wordpress.com/

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Oh! That mountain pass! I remember it well, and will, to my dying day! From my diary "Pilgrimage I" on my web site ....
"At this stage, my legs were beginning to ignore the instructions given by my brain. And I didn’t see the yellow arrows pointing left after the bridge. I climbed another kilometre up the hill towards the church, talking en-route to several cows who were tied up in the meadow. At the church I asked a local where my next night-stop might be. I had to retrace my footsteps back down to the bridge, apologising to the cows who looked at me quizzically, and finally after 22 kms reached the village of Rubiaes and my accommodation. I hobbled in, and booked myself in for TWO nights in order to recover. It was the sixth day of my pilgrimage from Porto. As my wife said “Even God rested on the seventh day…”
It's a beautiful route - so why rush it?
My pack weighs around 9 kms including water - just under 10% of my body weight.
I read Albertinho's comment, and thought "3 underpants? THREE underpants?!?!" I find 2 perfectly adequate, using the usual washing facilities. [But maybe Albertinho has a medical need for three pairs ;)]
I finally stayed two nights in this little hotel - good value and comfortable, at the end of a long hard day.
Bom caminho!

I just see this message by now :D 3 underpants ...we took over a list from somebody who walked the Frances.on his list 3 underpants, 3 pair of socks ,3 hemds etc . It happened that we washed the cloths by night and the next day they weren't dry so in that case a spare one is handy. And with these modern materials they are very light. So nothing medical as a matter of speaking. But thanks for the concern Stephen :)

Last edited:
I see I took 12 days for this journey. But bear in mind I am very old, very slow, and talk to all the animals I see :) oh! and I take lots of photographs, to remind me of the pilgrimage later! Were I young and fit, I STILL wouldn't contemplate doing it in 6 days - not if you want to soak up the atmosphere and the friendship of other pilgrims - which, for me, is a major part of the enjyment.
My backpack weighed just under 10% of my body weight - I can send you a list of every item if you need it...

Stephen
P.S. No more comments, I promise, about 3 pairs of pants :D

I see I took 12 days for this journey. But bear in mind I am very old, very slow, and talk to all the animals I see :) oh! and I take lots of photographs, to remind me of the pilgrimage later! Were I young and fit, I STILL wouldn't contemplate doing it in 6 days - not if you want to soak up the atmosphere and the friendship of other pilgrims - which, for me, is a major part of the enjyment.
My backpack weighed just under 10% of my body weight - I can send you a list of every item if you need it...

Stephen
P.S. No more comments, I promise, about 3 pairs of pants :D

Wait, pants were only 2 for me, the 3 that I took were 3 underpants, 3 pairs of socks, and 3 t-shirts. Nothing else :p

And I've found the same problem that Albertinho talked, about getting my clothes dry. I'm afraid that this year, with a late March/early April Caminho I'll have the same problem, but even worst!

I hope that the first Spring days aren't the ones that they say that are going to be wet!

Best Regards
Diogo

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked this route in March last year and it rained heavily most days. I found the best combination for me was rain jacket, poncho, waterproof trousers and shorts. Even Goretex did not stay waterproof under the onslaught.

The march before was beautiful weather! Good luck!!

I walked this route in March last year and it rained heavily most days. I found the best combination for me was rain jacket, poncho, waterproof trousers and shorts. Even Goretex did not stay waterproof under the onslaught.

The march before was beautiful weather! Good luck!!

I'm getting a lot of bad forecastes for weather. Well, St. James will help I'm sure!

Best Regards
Diogo

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back