• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poorly feet and avatars

Bridget and Peter

Time of past OR future Camino
Home to Reims 2007
Reims to Limoges 2008
Camino Ingles 2009
Limoges to Gernica 2009
Gernica to San Vicente de la Barquera 2010
San Vicente to La Isla 2012
La Isla to Santiago Sept/Oct 2014
Anniesantiago wrote:
Oh yes, the other things I purchased in Spain that I fell in love with and that made the walk more pleasant:

Compeed! They do not have it in Oregon, or at least I've never seen it. But it is WONDERFUL! Buy it ahead of time and slap it on any hotspots you have on your feet as soon as you notice them, BEFORE they become blisters. It's amazing -- stays on for days -- even in the shower. And keeps you from getting blisters.

We also found these weird little tubes. They were part gauze-like and part jell-like. You cut it and slipped it over your toes to keep them from rubbing together. We got both the Compeed and the tubing at the Pharmacia (look for the GREEN CROSS) for reasonable prices.

I have been meaning to use a painting of St James from the wonderful church in Chaource (north of Vezelay, south of Tonnerre) as an avatar - reading Annie's advice about feet reminded me as the artist had obviously used the painter's equivalent of 'Method acting' to explore and identify with his subject and the effects on the body of pilgrimage.

Either that, or he / she was rotten at doing feet.

Whichever, St James' feet look awfully uncomfortable and I think he might have benefited from a visit to a Spanish pharmacia or chiropodist. See below for the whole painting.

Also Annie has added a lovely avatar of scallop shells - where from, Annie? - so, inspired, I have managed to resize the picture and add it as my avatar.

What is the source/meaning/story behind others' avatars?

Attachments

• Chaource St James full length resized 2.JPG
    Chaource St James full length resized 2.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 1,092
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My avatar comes from a stained glass window at St. Ignatius of Loyola Church in Cincinatti, Ohio.
Here is what is posted about the image:

St. James, Greater - The three scallop shells are the symbol of pilgrimage and stands for this apostle's zeal and missionary spirit.

I thought it was a beautiful image.

Here is the website:
http://www.sainti.org/church/stainedglass/index.htm

Other wonderful images can be found by doing a Google Image Search on the words "Scallop Shell"

Bridget and Peter said:
Anniesantiago wrote:

My avatar (if I've loaded it correctly) is a picture I took of the sunrise as reflected in a palloza window in O Ceibreiro. I was packed up and ready to head out and was taking a photo of the entire palloza when this gleam caught my eye...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ivar,

I suppose I could PM you, but I'm sure others have wondered this as well...

What are you about to eat in your avatar photo? I'm guessing pizza?

Sometimes a thread withers and goes away that you think is a particulary good idea- this is one of those that I'd like to try to re-invigorate with this posting. Can you give us some insight into your particular avatar (i.e. the picture above your name)? :?:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Telluridewalker said:
Sometimes a thread withers and goes away that you think is a particulary good idea- this is one of those that I'd like to try to re-invigorate with this posting. Can you give us some insight into your particular avatar (i.e. the picture above your name)? :?:

Mine is simple - me, standing on the steps of SdC cathedral at the end of my first camino!
Ultreya! And here's to the next one!

Stephen.
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

My avatar is a photo I took at the Pilgrim statue at Alto do Polo. The sun was raising behind it.
Interesting is that I took the identical picture in both 2009 and 2010. Must have left O'Cebreiro at the same time both years.
In 2009 it was snowing hard but does not show in picture.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am now in training for my first Camino next June and during my training, developed bad foot pain in my left foot. Doing a bit of research on the net, I found that I have what is called Morton's Toe where the metatarsal bone in the large toe is too short resulting in the second toe (beside the big toe) appearing longer. The pain comes from that second toe having to bear all your weight which it was not intended to do.

Now, the reason for this tidbit of information is that Morton's Toe is also called Roman or Greek Toe and was used by artists and sculptors as an example of what a foot should look like hence the foot you see in the painting. Notice the longer-appearing second toe. Another interesting piece of interest is that most statues also have Morton's Toe, including the Statue of Liberty.

Bridget and Peter said:

My current avatar is Brother Percival who can be found on the Pilgrim's Way near Harrietsham, Kent England.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.