• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Poppies

Jflampert

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 CF, 2019 CF & CI, 2021 CF, 2023 CF
I normally walk the Camino Frances in the fall and truly enjoy seeing the sights of the harvest season. I am currently walking the Camino Frances and have to say that the wild flowers, especially the vast fields of poppes, are absolutely stunning. If you have not walked during this time of the year, you would not be disappointed.

20230604_100747.jpg20230525_111128.jpg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
It was not only the red poppies it was the greenness than enchanted me in May 2017. In Sept 2015 it was so brown. Cheers

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I walked a spring Camino and loved the views of poppies going on forever! Simply amazing. Will be doing a fall Camino this year. Looking forward to a completely different look. But I WILL miss the poppies.

I normally walk the Camino Frances in the fall and truly enjoy seeing the sights of the harvest season. I am currently walking the Camino Frances and have to say that the wild flowers, especially the vast fields of poppes, are absolutely stunning. If you have not walked during this time of the year, you would not be disappointed.

View attachment 148676View attachment 148677

Where along Frances? I was there 2 weeks ago and am sad I missed this beautiful sight!

I walked a spring Camino and loved the views of poppies going on forever! Simply amazing. Will be doing a fall Camino this year. Looking forward to a completely different look. But I WILL miss the poppies.
Depending on how late in the fall you go, when you get to the barren Meseta you may be overwhelmed by how stark and expansive it is. There is a real beauty in that.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Two weeks ago between Pamplona and at least Burgos it was red red red in many of the fields. And loads of other beautiful flowers too, I might add.
My photos are rubbish, so I'll just tell you where and when!

18th May - coming out of Cizur Menor
19th May - on the way back from Eunate
20th May - coming towards Ciraqui
21st May - leaving Estella
22nd May - before Viaña

I did notice that after that, more poppies were over than flowering, so maybe it is quite a short flowering season.

I too enjoyed the Poppies this time of the year in 2017. Last year in June I discovered that the foxglove is also a beautiful flower.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Yes I too love the poppies and enjoyed both the fields of corn swaying in the wind and the beautiful fields of poppies

Attachments

• IMG_20230517_114452.jpg
    IMG_20230517_114452.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20230517_114212.jpg
    IMG_20230517_114212.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20230517_095218.jpg
    IMG_20230517_095218.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 20
I walked the Camino Frances mostly in May last year, arriving in Santiago exactly one year ago today. I, too, fell in love with the Flanders poppies that were almost everywhere along the way. This is one of my favorite poppy photos from my journey, taken as I was approaching Castrojeriz. And, yes, the digitalis (foxglove) was also beautiful.View attachment 20220515_110435.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
here in france on the chemin du puy as well
PXL_20230605_093151114.jpg

I walked the CF in May/June 2012 and was delighted by the poppies as well. What really entranced me, though, were the fields of grain. I have a video I took of acres of green grain tops rolling in the breeze like waves on the ocean. Amazing. This view from outside Hornillos del Camino has both!

IMG_7843.JPG

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
In Flanders’ fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders’ fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders’ fields.​

IMG_20230607_140825340.jpg

On the Camino Madrid, North of Segovia.

I have hiked portions of the Camino twice late September/early October, next go-around will be in April of next year, (postponed from this year because of a knee replacement). I am looking forward to seeing greenery instead of dead sunflowers! Yes, the meseta has its beauty, but plowed, brown fields got old after a week.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back