• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

portable charger fuse chicken

Westlake

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances September to October (2019)
This is my first post, so not sure if I am posting this correctly - I am heading out for my first Camino (CF) the first of September and am trying to sort out electronics. I am bringing an android phone and possibly an iPad (for writing). I am looking for a lightweight charger with two or three USBs. I saw this one - Fuse chicken universal https://www.fusechicken.com/products/universal?variant=19143348650073
which seems to also be a wireless charging pad and an adapter, looks great but I don't think is compatible with my phone (Google pixel 3a) Can anyone recommend something similar? Many thanks in advance.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Looks a bit expensive... I bought an Anker charger with 4 usb ports for the camino and I'm still using it at home all the time. No complaints. Whatever the choice, make sure you buy one that fits European outlets, or also bring a plug adapter with you.

This is my first post, so not sure if I am posting this correctly - I am heading out for my first Camino (CF) the first of September and am trying to sort out electronics. I am bringing an android phone and possibly an iPad (for writing). I am looking for a lightweight charger with two or three USBs. I saw this one - Fuse chicken universal https://www.fusechicken.com/products/universal?variant=19143348650073
which seems to also be a wireless charging pad and an adapter, looks great but I don't think is compatible with my phone (Google pixel 3a) Can anyone recommend something similar? Many thanks in advance.

Welcome @Westlake. I'm not quite sure why this wouldn't be compatible with a Pixel 3a, it only needs a USB cable right?

When I was on camino I took something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B072K5SFHG/?tag=casaivar-21

Anker are a well respected brand and the multiple ports mean that your fellow pilgrims won't be annoyed that you've used the only plug socket in the albergue if you can share multiple USB ports.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Looks a bit expensive... I bought an Anker charger with 4 usb ports for the camino and I'm still using it at home all the time. No complaints. Whatever the choice, make sure you buy one that fits European outlets, or also bring a plug adapter with you.

Great minds....

Satechi make a really decent unit. Similar to the Ankur, it is multi voltage and uses a standard figure 8 power cord, the same cord that has powered electric razors for decades. If you buy the cord in Spain then you won’t need to carry an adapter and with a long cord you can have the charger near you rather than at the power outlet. It might be all you need to take for all your Camino power needs.

Satechi Charger

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
It is waay too expensive, IMHO. I suggest looking at Anker, Aukey or Belkin on Amazon.ca. I just checked.

Query "Two Port USB Charger." You will get a lot of good results, most of them, far cheaper...

Anker.com or Anker.ca
Belkin.com or Belkin.ca
Aukey,com or Aukey.ca

I have had excellent experience with any of the above brands. At home and on the road, I regularly use Anker chargers.

Also, if you will be charging a tablet or other device that accepts fast charging, try to find a charger that has at least one 2.4 Amp outlet, in addition to a 1.0 Amp (standard) outlet.

Don't forget to obtain and bring a Shucko plug adapter. Your charger will have CA/US flat prongs. You need the Schuko adapter to convert this to round pins to fit European sockets.

On Amazon.ca, query "Schuko adapter." You do not need a grounded (3-pin) adapter. A less-expensive 2-pin plug adapter is fine. If you can, buy a package of several. They are small, and carrying a spare is not a bad idea.

Finally, when you get to Spain, or on the way in Europe, go to a hardware store (ferreteria) or DIY store. Buy a small triple-tap plug, to be able to share one wall outlet with other pilgrims at the same time. This is a sure way to make friends and avoid annoying others. There are usually not enough wall outlets to go around. These adapters / splitters usually coast about €3,00.

An alternative to getting a two-port charger and a separate multi-splitter in Spain, is to buy a 4-port USB charger. This allows you to share USB charging with others. But, I prefer two smaller items (charger and plug splitter) as they usually weigh less overall.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I only clicked on this thread to find out what a fuse chicken is!! 🐔 😁😁😁
And now I know that it's an expensive charger.
And me! I bought a 3 way usb with European plug for about 5 GBP on Amazon. It's clearly cheap rubbish. But I've been using it trouble free for the last 3 years!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Way too expensive for only 6700mAh Powerbank. A 10000 mAh banks go for $20s on many online sites, you can hardly go wrong with any of them.

And me! I bought a 3 way usb with European plug for about 5 GBP on Amazon. It's clearly cheap rubbish. But I've been using it trouble free for the last 3 years!

That is a viable plan B... I do the same thing. I have a stash of stuff, including a box of electrical things, stored with a friend at Santiago.

One cannot ever have enough chargers, cables, or socket splitters.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I only clicked on this thread to find out what a fuse chicken is!! 🐔 😁😁😁
And now I know that it's an expensive charger.

Hmm. I'm disappointed too.
I thought it was going to be some amazing cooking method! :(

I pictured bare loose wires snaking all over the Albergue, and the lights dimming, as a chicken carcass bounced around the kitchen table lit up like a Christmas tree! :eek:

Last edited:
For those with access to Boots chemist...
6FF0A29E-1CDD-40DD-9282-FF62B5BE18D2.png

For those with access to Boots chemist...
View attachment 60344

Sorry @kirkie but that power bank is abysmal value and doesn't even hold enough charge to fully power a modern smartphone. The fact that it's recommended for use with phones from four generations ago, when incidentally it still wouldn't have had enough juice to fully charge many of them, shows just how far behind the curve it is.

I would buy pretty much any other power bank than this one.

Sorry,

Rob.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sorry @kirkie but that power bank is abysmal value and doesn't even hold enough charge to fully power a modern smartphone. The fact that it's recommended for use with phones from four generations ago, when incidentally it still wouldn't have had enough juice to fully charge many of them, shows just how far behind the curve it is.

I would buy pretty much any other power bank than this one.

Sorry,

Rob.
No problem, don’t be sorry Rob. My first response was just to recommend that the op ask t2andreao to walk alongside, and use his vast store of chargers and cables.... We recently gave the Boots one to someone who hasn’t a notion what it is, and if it sorts out her out on the bus from A to B when her battery dies, thatis all it is asked to do...

I have tried a few powerbanks before I got to Anker a couple of years ago, they are good reliable chargers I use it for my phone, kindle and camera it still holds plenty of charge after 2 years use. I think it is a case of you get what you pay for, there are cheaper chargers but will they last as long and I worry about the cheaper products catching fire on planes, there was another one this week.

I too went for anker after reading a lot reviews including the technical stuff. Not all 10000 mah powerbanks hold the same charge it seems. They came out top on most tests, and were certainly best at power to weight ratio, which matters most to me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.