• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

portable keyboard for phone?

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Time of past OR future Camino
I like to write, but I have arthritis, so my fingers cramp if I handwrite for too long. Pecking on a phone is okay for short messages but not for anything more. I've been wondering about a portable, foldable keyboard I could attach to my phone for travel. Has anyone here used one? I saw this one on Amazon:

Arteck HB030B Universal Slim Portable Wireless Bluetooth 3.0 7-Colors Backlit Keyboard with Built in Rechargeable Battery​

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello fellow pilgrim,

I do use this for vacation:

Should by available as QWERTY, too.
176gr. incl. cables, 45days standy, BT.
Not as good as a Lenovo or Chicony PC-Keyboard, but way better than the onscreen-keyboard.

Hope you will find something suitable.

BC
Roland

I always bring a notebook as a diary or journal, but never really use it. I type for a living so my handwriting is rubbish and I always try to write faster than I am able with a pen. Next time I intend to take one of my two Microsoft travel keyboards: The Universal one has a hinged cover which protects the keys and also works as a phone or tablet stand, but the keys are a little small and compressed. The Universal foldable one is similar to the one above and folds down the middle. It also weighs the same, 176 g, takes up very little space, keeps a charge very well and is relatively comfortable to type on though I wouldn't use it for work. They were expensive when they came out but I managed to get a second hand one cheap. I am hoping it will make me write more on the road instead of trying to remember what happened where and when after I have come home!
I found an even lighter one at 138g here and one here. Foldable ones will protect the keys better.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If you're not self conscious then a voice to text app may do the business for you. They have to be trained a little so that they "get" your voice. One of those little lapel mics is all you'd need, and you may already have one as part of your phone kit along with the earphones.

I like to write, but I have arthritis, so my fingers cramp if I handwrite for too long. Pecking on a phone is okay for short messages but not for anything more. I've been wondering about a portable, foldable keyboard I could attach to my phone for travel. Has anyone here used one? I saw this one on Amazon:

Arteck HB030B Universal Slim Portable Wireless Bluetooth 3.0 7-Colors Backlit Keyboard with Built in Rechargeable Battery​

I used to use a portable, foldable keyboard wit my Palm Pilot, but you can see how long ago that was. While some might argue with the extra weight, it seems a lot lighter and smaller than taking a tablet or notebook for those who want to do a fair amount of writing.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you're not self conscious then a voice to text app may do the business for you. They have to be trained a little so that they "get" your voice.
I think I will start entertaining myself on my local walks, by trying this out on my phone. As well as the app needing training, I think I will need training in order to speak the words in an organized manner that will make sense later.

I think I will start entertaining myself on my local walks, by trying this out on my phone. As well as the app needing training, I think I will need training in order to speak the words in an organized manner that will make sense later.
I rarely use voice to text on my phone because it usually takes me longer to fix the mistakes than to type it out in the first place. Plus, I don't particularly like talking to my devices. 😄

I rarely use voice to text on my phone because it usually takes me longer to fix the mistakes than to type it out in the first place. Plus, I don't particularly like talking to my devices. 😄
I have a blind friend who uses it all the time, mainly for emails. Having seen her using it, It looks easy. But she does, work on It support so maybe her software is top of the range. I will ask her what she uses when i next talk to her.
As for talking into the ether then I agree, I'm far too self conscious.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow - that jellycomb folding keyboard recommended by Roland looks the biz. Might be the same as Nidarosa's 'heavy' one...?
I love my little keyboard so much I took it with me on the CF in place of a paper notebook last time - but it's probably too heavy for you - 420g.
What I like about it is that it holds 3 bluetooth links in its memory (which have separate buttons) which can be allocated for either PC and Mac systems, and I can switch seemlessly between work, home PCs and photo/music on the Mac, or use with the android phone on the road. I've used this daily for more than 5 years now, writing 100,000s, maybe millions of words.... For the camino I just made a carry sleeve out of old bubble wrap. The actual keys are round (like a typewriter - remember them?) and give decent space between each for differentiation by touch. Also it's not clackety, but requires a nice amount of tactile pressure, so you know when you are making a stroke. Really fast and accurate for me. I don't resent it's lardy 420g 🥌🥌🥌 (because I love it ❤️), but I guess others would 🥵

Last edited:

I carry a Lenovo MIIX 310. It is a tablet with an detachable keyboard. If you detach the keyboard then there is a normal size keyboard on the touch screen. It is not a phone but it is not heavy with or without the keyboard and I carry a phone as well.

I've bought and used a couple with my iPad but have had very poor success with them. They seem to break down and stop working in fairly short order. To be fair, I didn't spend more than $20-25 on them. The only device I've had that lasted was a keyboard cover for my iPad (similar to the one below), which likely doesn't help you with the phone...

Screen Shot 2021-03-13 at 11.23.30 AM.png

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I've bought and used a couple with my iPad but have had very poor success with them. They seem to break down and stop working in fairly short order. To be fair, I didn't spend more than $20-25 on them. The only device I've had that lasted was a keyboard cover for my iPad (similar to the one below), which likely doesn't help you with the phone...

View attachment 95317
I use something very similar to that with my Ipad. It is a logitech tablet keyboard specifically for the ipad 6. But for my android tablet and my iphone I have a folding keyboard, it isn’t as good as a standard full size keyboard but it is quicker and more comfortable than onscreen typing. I think I bought it on an auction site. It is configurable to use IOS (apple), Android or PC codes, and connects to the device using Bluetooth. A scan through the auction sites will find many options.
Andrew

I’ve used a a Microsoft folding keyboard for a few years now - I have a plastic slide to hold it flat when on uneven surfaces - I love it - it’s been on frances Portugués Ingles and survived in my pack - and very quiet to use at night!
GU5-00017.jpg

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes it is, and I was a bit worried about that as I am so used to typing on a normal laptop keyboard, but it was no problem when I tested it. Just have to look down at the beginning to make sure my fingers are in the right place 😄

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes it is, and I was a bit worried about that as I am so used to typing on a normal laptop keyboard, but it was no problem when I tested it. Just have to look down at the beginning to make sure my fingers are in the right place 😄
Definitely like to use my plastic slide so it doesn’t fold while typing (and it holds phone) but unfortunately came with a different keyboard we use at home with the tv - but otherwise no problem with gap - I am a touch typer

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
Good idea, I've just got a tiny plastic foldable stand that holds the mobile and that combo works well for typing on a table. With my other MS Mobile Universal keyboard I can type on my knee and it has a lid that also supports the phone, but it is heavier and bigger to pack and the keys feel a bit squished even for my little touch typing hands. Another thing to ponder and practice with and weigh up pros and cons ...
1616272444237.png

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.