• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Have a look at this Camino Primitivo Guide made by one of our members.

Portable Wifi for Business on Primitivo

ProfessLohr

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo, September 2018
Hi Friends, we are hiking the Primitivo this September. I work remotely and will need to be online with my laptop in the evenings. I'm looking at 2 options of considerably different pricepoints, hoping for advice. I know that the Primitivo is more rural and I definitely can't just walk in and count on reliable internet. Here's what I am considering:
1. Renting a portable wifi hotspot device. Pros: cheaper, lightweight. Cons: must have some sort of cell phone signal floating around in the town
2. Renting a BGAN (Explorer 510) which provides satellite internet. Pros: gets the job done for sure. Cons: expensive. Device is small and packable but needs to have a clear view of the sky to catch the satellite signal.

Anyone have any experiences or hacks for this? I don't need to upload photos or post to social media- I literally just need reliable enough internet to log into the corporate service and get my job done at night. Thanks so much in advance!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Many albergues, bars and hotels along the way provide wifi though it is not universal. An option you have not mentioned is using the personal hotspot facility available on many modern smartphones and connecting through that rather than a separate dedicated wifi device. It may be a cheaper and simpler option if you already own a phone with that capability.

Many albergues, bars and hotels along the way provide wifi though it is not universal. An option you have not mentioned is using the personal hotspot facility available on many modern smartphones and connecting through that rather than a separate dedicated wifi device. It may be a cheaper and simpler option if you already own a phone with that capability.
Thanks-- yes I do have the ability to tether my phone as a wifi hotspot, but after speaking with Tmobile (and based on past experiences traveling out of country), the speed is typically only 2G which isn't enough to actually get online. That's why I am hoping that maybe the portable hotspot device, one with a universal SIM even, could help hopefully? I'm really trying hard to avoid the satellite option. :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Friends, we are hiking the Primitivo this September. I work remotely and will need to be online with my laptop in the evenings. I'm looking at 2 options of considerably different pricepoints, hoping for advice. I know that the Primitivo is more rural and I definitely can't just walk in and count on reliable internet. Here's what I am considering:
1. Renting a portable wifi hotspot device. Pros: cheaper, lightweight. Cons: must have some sort of cell phone signal floating around in the town
2. Renting a BGAN (Explorer 510) which provides satellite internet. Pros: gets the job done for sure. Cons: expensive. Device is small and packable but needs to have a clear view of the sky to catch the satellite signal.

Anyone have any experiences or hacks for this? I don't need to upload photos or post to social media- I literally just need reliable enough internet to log into the corporate service and get my job done at night. Thanks so much in advance!

Ask around and find a used GSM smartphone and get it unlocked, and use that as your hotspot device, buy a prepaid Spanish SIM card with data, plus you'll have a local number as well, Orange has some generous and affordable data packages. http://static.phonehouse.es/res_static/pdf-tarifas-link/tarifas-orange.pdf

Satellite wifi is very expensive and just another costly item to keep track of.

As I remember usual speed was 3 or even 4G this year (Vodafone SIM) but I wasn't really in the mountains.

To have good signal and with no roaming charges in EU anymore maybe it's best to buy French/Portugues/etc. SIM card with enough data coverage because "foreign" SIM will always find the best signal whereas Spanish will stick to their responders which could be very weak sometimes. I remember I didn't have any coverage (phone signal too) in Campobecerros on Camino Sanabres this year.

But I think others posted enough reassuring posts so I don't think you'll have much problems with wi-fi connection. It's available even in the most remote areas.

Buen Camino!

I know it’s not my business to question your business but I spent many, many years just working and working. I am 64 and even though I still work I know do it completely on my terms. I am far from rich and will live the rest of my life on not a whole lot at all. I look back on my work and even though most of my work life I enjoyed what I did. But when I look back that part of my life grows more and more insignificant. My only regret about work is the time it took away from my family, friends and things I loved. I did some wonderful and sometimes even important things but missing one of my girls’ soccer games gives me more pain and the satisfaction I felt for “a job well done” does not even come close to making up for it. Your time on the Camino is sacred. 99% of everything we do can wait. Maybe you are in the one percent. The Camino demands a lot from you and if you devote yourself to the Camino and give yourself to it. The Camino will give you way more
of what you need than you can ever imagine. If you think I should mind my own business you are correct and I apologize in advance.
Buen CaminĂł

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I know it’s not my business to question your business but I spent many, many years just working and working. I am 64 and even though I still work I know do it completely on my terms. I am far from rich and will live the rest of my life on not a whole lot at all. I look back on my work and even though most of my work life I enjoyed what I did. But when I look back that part of my life grows more and more insignificant. My only regret about work is the time it took away from my family, friends and things I loved. I did some wonderful and sometimes even important things but missing one of my girls’ soccer games gives me more pain and the satisfaction I felt for “a job well done” does not even come close to making up for it. Your time on the Camino is sacred. 99% of everything we do can wait. Maybe you are in the one percent. The Camino demands a lot from you and if you devote yourself to the Camino and give yourself to it. The Camino will give you way more
of what you need than you can ever imagine. If you think I should mind my own business you are correct and I apologize in advance.
Buen CaminĂł
Wow, that is definitely the best post I have read in couple of years on this forum. And so true!

Zillion likes!!!

Wow, that is definitely the best post I have read in couple of years on this forum. And so true!

Zillion likes!!!
Thanks so much KinkyOne. I really really appreciate that. Maybe one day I will see you on the Camino and you can tell me about your KinkyOne mame haha and maybe some more about life.

Thanks so much KinkyOne. I really really appreciate that. Maybe one day I will see you on the Camino and you can tell me about your KinkyOne mame haha and maybe some more about life.
Hahahaha, nothing really much behind K1 moniker. But maybe better to tell it in person or in PMs :D
Don't want to hijack the thread ;)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks-- yes I do have the ability to tether my phone as a wifi hotspot, but after speaking with Tmobile (and based on past experiences traveling out of country), the speed is typically only 2G which isn't enough to actually get online. That's why I am hoping that maybe the portable hotspot device, one with a universal SIM even, could help hopefully? I'm really trying hard to avoid the satellite option. :)
With T-mobile you can pay $10 per month extra for 4G speed (where available), and Hotspot ability while abroad. That's what I'm using right now. Though in the past I've never paid the $10 month extra and my phone usually showed 3G,and 4G speeds. Remember though, that if you ate in a remote area there may be no cell signal.

Zillion likes!!!
Buen CaminĂł

Good Morning, I certainly do appreciate your perspectives here. I am an avid mountain climber and I certainly understand the idea of respect for the trail. I use my holiday time to travel with my kids, which is why I am grateful to work remotely. There's a 9 hour time difference between Spain and my work here in the US-- which is perfect for evening work after a fulfilling day of walking. As a teacher, I am never really disconnected from my students and I am also going to share live Camino filming/updates with them to use as teaching opportunities. So, yes, wifi is

Renting a satellite wifi hotspot service is very expensive and yet still slow, plus the cost of the data service itself, you're not going out in remote back country for days on end.
http://globafone.com/products-solutions/service-plans/

Since you want to live stream on the spot as you please, a regular wifi hotspot should suffice, like I said before, the cheapest option would be to find a used unlocked GSM smartphone and install a prepaid Spanish SIM card with data, and use it as your hotspot.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Perfecto-- also, we are routing our overnight stays in the larger areas which should have better signal/services as well, so I think your suggestion is very helpful. I'm feeling much less worried about this after everyone's advice and intel-- I greatly appreciate the suggestions. Please keep the information coming :)

Anyone have any experiences or hacks for this? I don't need to upload photos or post to social media- I literally just need reliable enough internet to log into the corporate service and get my job done at night. Thanks so much in advance![/QUOTE]

HI,ProfessLohr,
By this time you have completed your Camino Primitivo. congratulations. I'm planning to walk the Primitivo with a group of people in 2019. I'm just wondering since you have completed the Camino Primitivo, what did you end up using for an internet hotspot as you mentioned in your original post? How was the experience?

Back