• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto airport to Barcelos -- taxi? other?

design4life

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2014-18 Kumano Kodo 2019 Portu 2022 Inglés 2023
I fly into Porto next month but must transit to Barcelos to stay over and begin my walk the next day.
Rome2Rio suggests a taxi and gives links to several companies with widely varying rates.
(With the airport north of Porto proper going into the city and taking public transport to Barcelos seems a less good option, unless the taxi price is truly beyond my means.)
Does anyone have experience and specific recommendations? If a taxi, I'd like to book it in advance.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I researched myself last week finding out that the best option is to take the metro from the airport to Campanhá station and take the train from there. Costs 2, 60 € for a 4 zone ticket and a few euros for the train.
I also looked for a trainstation nearby the airport and that is Ermesinde , at about 12km but a taxi costs at least 16 to 20€ There are hardly any busses into that direction.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
There is a metro stop at the airport that can connect you to Povoa de Varzim. From there you could take a bus or walk to Barcelos
That is a good idea 👍

to do so you have to take the metro to station Verdes and change train to Póvoa de Varzim

I was looking how to get in Tamel what is 12 kms north of Barcelos so finding out if that a way to do on Saturday 26 of March coming

Last edited:
Thank you @biarritzdon and @Albertinho -- super solution.
If I plug in Povoa da Varzim, Rome2Rio does recalculate with the bus option, and they also list Ovnitur as running a bus from the airport to Povoa de Varzim, but metro runs more often.
I'll be too tired to walk, as I never sleep on planes!
@trecile I was about to ask about taxis in general over the Portuguese central route, including availability of Uber.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
i haven’t found my my connection yet .option is to go to Barcelos but as far as I know the bus stops in Barcelinhos and that is far from the railway station
busses are no option in that region on a Saturday so my best option is to take the train from Campanhá station in Porto center

see that there is a new busstation nearby the railwaystation bus on Saturdays the trainservices are very poor. So my option is to go to campanhá and take the train from 13:05 to Tamel. And from there a taxi to casa da Fernanda.

Last edited:
Thank you @biarritzdon and @Albertinho -- super solution.
If I plug in Povoa da Varzim, Rome2Rio does recalculate with the bus option, and they also list Ovnitur as running a bus from the airport to Povoa de Varzim, but metro runs more often.
I'll be too tired to walk, as I never sleep on planes!
@trecile I was about to ask about taxis in general over the Portuguese central route, including availability of Uber.
That is a good idea 👍

to do so you have to take the metro to station Senhora da Hora and change train to Póvoa de Varzim

I was looking how to get in Tamel what is 12 kms north of Barcelos so finding out if that a way to do on Saturday 26 of March coming
@Albertinho How did you get the horario you linked? When I plug in Povoa de Varzim and Barcelos on the transdev.pt website I get something different. Not wrong info but less info, e.g. mine doesn't include locations of stops.

Attachments

• Horário POVOA VARZIM-BARCELOS.pdf
    349.3 KB · Views: 1
@Albertinho How did you get the horario you linked? When I plug in Povoa de Varzim and Barcelos on the transdev.pt website I get something different. Not wrong info but less info, e.g. mine doesn't include locations of stops.
Just gave in Transdev somewhere. Can’t remember where. Was not in the Transdev website because that one isn’t very clear

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Why not stay overnight near the airport and walk from there the next day?

From memory from last October, you take the Metro from the Airport to Trindade (E line) and walk to Sao Bento rail station. Or you can change at Trindade for a couple of stops to the Sao Bento (D line). Takes under 1 hour.

From Sao Bento there are quiet a few trains direct to Barcelos. Takes just over an hour and inexpensive.

The station is worth a visit on its own and if you have some time while waiting for the train, have a walk up to the Cathedral (visible from the station) and collect a Portuguese Credential €3 from the cashier at the Cathedral entrance.

The station

PS You could even have that night in Porto as suggested above (great city) and take the first train in the morning. It's a shame to travel so far and not have the opportunity to sample the local cuisine and wines.

Last edited:
Thanks, @Corned Beef for this great option.
I got my credential by mail from Ivar, so I'm set, but I'm returning to Porto for 4 nights after my Camino. Wouldn't miss it!!!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There is a metro stop at the airport that can connect you to Povoa de Varzim. From there you could take a bus or walk to Barcelos
I walked the coastal route from Porto and then took the bus from the Povoa de Varzim. The bus seems to go every two hours and costs around two to three Euros.

From memory from last October, you take the Metro from the Airport to Trindade (E line) and walk to Sao Bento rail station. Or you can change at Trindade for a couple of stops to the Sao Bento (D line). Takes under 1 hour.

From Sao Bento there are quiet a few trains direct to Barcelos. Takes just over an hour and inexpensive.

The station is worth a visit on its own and if you have some time while waiting for the train, have a walk up to the Cathedral (visible from the station) and collect a Portuguese Credential €3 from the cashier at the Cathedral entrance.

The station

PS You could even have that night in Porto as suggested above (great city) and take the first train in the morning. It's a shame to travel so far and not have the opportunity to sample the local cuisine and wines.
@ Corned Beef. That is a good idea . Anyway not for me because after arriving at Porto airport I want to be asap at Casa da Fernanda that Saturday .
To go to the beautiful São Bento railwaystation with all beautiful tile figurations you have to change at indeed at last at Trindade metro stop. Some stops further on the E line is the Campanhá station where the train stops to the north ( e.g. to Barcelos, Braga and Guimarães s) too.So I can stay in the E line metro until Campanhá to cath the train there.
and time enough (I hope🤭) Schedulled arriving 10.45 from Amsterdam and the first train to catch at 13:05 . Costs 6,50 and some discount off for a pensioner.

But I advise everybody who has the time in Porto to visit the São Bento station .

The metro to Póvoa de Varzim option somebody else gave is interesting but not on Saturdays and Sundays .The busline services in that area are very poor during the weekends.

thanks anyway for all replies

Hi,

In 2018, I flew to Porto and got the train to Barcelos. My flight was slightly delayed, but luckily I made the last train, I changed in Nine, there was a delay here of about 20 minutes. I think the train was heading for Braga.
It was dark when I reached Barcelos, the train station is on the edge of town. However, the owner/manager of my accommodation, The Barcelos Way Guesthouse, sent a taxi to pick me up and stayed in contact by phone until I was safely inside. It is a lovely place to stay, very reasonable, comfortable, a great breakfast and great service of course.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi,

In 2018, I flew to Porto and got the train to Barcelos. My flight was slightly delayed, but luckily I made the last train, I changed in Nine, there was a delay here of about 20 minutes. I think the train was heading for Braga.
It was dark when I reached Barcelos, the train station is on the edge of town. However, the owner/manager of my accommodation, The Barcelos Way Guesthouse, sent a taxi to pick me up and stayed in contact by phone until I was safely inside. It is a lovely place to stay, very reasonable, comfortable, a great breakfast and great service of course.
Hi,

thanks for your reply.
The railwaystation in Barcelos indeed is in an edge. In the dark it is not a pleasant way to walk from there to the center. But it changed a bit in a good way. Now the new busstation is just behind the railwaystatupion so much more people around.
What a great action from the manager to let pick you up from the station and stayed in contact with you untill you arrived. Wow. He really has a heart for his guests..
there is a direct train to a Barcelos so think you took the train to Braga . Nine is a places where trains go into different directions

InterRegional
Train number 853
Porto - Campanha13:100h44
Ermesinde13:21
Trofa13:32
Famalicao13:40
Nine13:46
Barcelos13:54

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back