• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto airport to Fatima to Valenca

Cecy

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 2016
I planning on arriving in Porto at 6:55pm...would I be able to take a bus/train from the airport to Fatima, I want to give thanks for the gift of arriving safe and grateful to be able to begin my Camino the following morning. I would like to maybe spend the night there and then somehow get to.Valenca in the morning to begin my journey to Santiago. Is this doable?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I don't know if there are buses from the airport but there are buses from the downtown. Take a look at www.rede-expressos.pt for info, schedules and ticket purchase. You can use the same web to look for bus options from Fátima to Valença.

The metro to and from the airport are going very early in the morning,
Trindade metro station is in the center of town. São Bento station is close by the Sé cathedral and Campanha station close by for more national railway connections
Maybe there is a train connection anyway to Tomar or Santarèm and from there a bus to Fatima which is about 200 kms.from Porto.
From Fatima back to Porto it is about 100 kms extra to Valença. So about 300 kms.

Hire a car in Porto and drive to Fatima and back and then take the train to Valença !
I doubt you do this trip in one day. I drove with my car many times in Portugal . The roads are okay but it takes some time .

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The metro to and from the airport are going very early in the morning,
Trindade metro station is in the center of town. São Bento station is close by the Sé cathedral and Campanha station close by for more national railway connections
Maybe there is a train connection anyway to Tomar or Santarèm and from there a bus to Fatima which is about 200 kms.from Porto.
From Fatima back to Porto it is about 100 kms extra to Valença. So about 300 kms.

Hire a car in Porto and drive to Fatima and back and then take the train to Valença !
I doubt you do this trip in one day. I drove with my car many times in Portugal . The roads are okay but it takes some time .

Thank, i guess thats a no no for me...i will just go to Valenca from the airport,.go to a church there and start my Camino in the morning

I planning on arriving in Porto at 6:55pm...would I be able to take a bus/train from the airport to Fatima, I want to give thanks for the gift of arriving safe and grateful to be able to begin my Camino the following morning. I would like to maybe spend the night there and then somehow get to.Valenca in the morning to begin my journey to Santiago. Is this doable?
hm, do-able? perhaps.
advisable? that's another matter. (regarding logistics/time etc)
don't know from where you'd be arriving - but it sounds you'd be in for lots of tight schedule/logistics/stress if you intend to proceed w/ that idea.
( if you take a regional train from porto to santarem, it can take 2+ hours (took that train 1.5yrs ago) if the faster pendolino train between porto-lisbon will stop in Santarem, don't recall. and who knows how long it will take by bus to get to Fatima? and then back up north to Valenca?)
Catedrale Se' is a great place as well - if you look for a church setting to give thanks. it's near the Sao Bento train-station (aka not too far)
Bom Caminho -

Thank, i guess thats a no no for me...i will just go to Valenca from the airport,.go to a church there and start my Camino in the morning
Anyway all traintrips do not go from the airport so first you will have to go to one of the Porto trainstations.
But the airport has an excellent connection by metro with the center.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thank you for all your replies, yes trying to do too much in a short time. I will just stick to my plan.

God Bless

Ok after research i will not be going to Fatima. Im arriving late so Im planning on staying at a airport hotel, trying to leave to Valenca as early as possible on Sat,.Im arriving from H texas. 10:45 seems to be the earliest arriving in Valenca at 12:15. Is it too late to start my camino to Porriño?

Ok after research i will not be going to Fatima. Im arriving late so Im planning on staying at a airport hotel, trying to leave to Valenca as early as possible on Sat,.Im arriving from H texas. 10:45 seems to be the earliest arriving in Valenca at 12:15. Is it too late to start my camino to Porriño?
Depending if you are fit, jetlag ? O Porriño is 23 kms so by knowing your pace it will take you 4 to 5 hours ? Better stay in Valença for a rest and sightseeing. Beautiful town with medieval fortress.
Mind crossing the Minho river to Tui in Spain you loose one hour.
If you leave Valença f.ex.at 8h00 in Spain it is allready 9h00 !
Bom caminho

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hehehe well Im working on getting fit by then!!!

Just wish i could find an earlier train/bus to Valenca from the airport... The Camino is certainly dictating my plan, maybe I should just listen hehe. I do have 2 extra days.

Thank you Albertinho and all others that replied.

Cecy

Hehehe well Im working on getting fit by then!!!

Just wish i could find an earlier train/bus to Valenca from the airport... The Camino is certainly dictating my plan, maybe I should just listen hehe. I do have 2 extra days.

Thank you Albertinho and all others that replied.

Cecy
Keep in mind that the commuter train so called "Regional" stops almost everywhere if somebody keeps his hand up. :).on the timeschedule I counted 32 stops ! There is a fast train stopping at Valença but only at particulairy times. Hopes that fits you.

https://www.cp.pt/StaticFiles/Passageiros/horarios/horarios/PDF/r_ir_uc/porto_valenca.pdf. Take sandwiches and something to drink with you.:)

Last edited:

Hi Cecy,

If it were me, I'd do whatever I could to get to Valenca the night you arrive. You are going to be pretty zonked anyway, so you would sleep in a bus, on a train, whatever.

There is a bus from the Porto Airport that leaves at 9:30 pm and arrives in Valenca at 11 pm. You can easily make a hotel/pension reservation at a place that has reception service all night and then you can sleep in, or if you wake up, just start walking.

Check the timetable here:
http://www.autna.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/horarios_2014.pdf

Buen camino, Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Cecy,

If it were me, I'd do whatever I could to get to Valenca the night you arrive. You are going to be pretty zonked anyway, so you would sleep in a bus, on a train, whatever.

There is a bus from the Porto Airport that leaves at 9:30 pm and arrives in Valenca at 11 pm. You can easily make a hotel/pension reservation at a place that has reception service all night and then you can sleep in, or if you wake up, just start walking.

Check the timetable here:
http://www.autna.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/horarios_2014.pdf

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Laurie

Yes, thats the schedule I was looking at I just wasnt sure where I could sleep once in Valenca, i saw some places had a curfew. Thats exactly what I wanted to do.

Ok, i guess I need to see the hotels/pensions i can reserve a place and let them know I be arriving late.

Thanks again
Cecy

Hi Laurie

Yes, thats the schedule I was looking at I just wasnt sure where I could sleep once in Valenca, i saw some places had a curfew. Thats exactly what I wanted to do.

Ok, i guess I need to see the hotels/pensions i can reserve a place and let them know I be arriving late.

Thanks again
Cecy
My fail safe is to use booking.com and then write directly to the hotel/pension to say I will be arriving late. There are lots of Valenca hotels that are centrally located that have good booking.com rates and which will surely have reception 24/7

My fail safe is to use booking.com and then write directly to the hotel/pension to say I will be arriving late. There are lots of Valenca hotels that are centrally located that have good booking.com rates and which will surely have reception 24/7

Awesome, thanks I will certainly be doing that. It would be safe for me at that time of the night right?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Awesome, thanks I will certainly be doing that. It would be safe for me at that time of the night right?

Hi, Cecy, I hope someone with more immediate knowledge can chime in here, but I have to confess I don't even know where the bus stops in Valenca. If it's near the train station, it's about a km walk to the city, which you may not want to do jet-lagged and at that time of night, though Portugal is extremely safe. I'm going to guess that there will be taxis at the bus station when buses arrive, but I don't know that for a fact. And taxis are very cheap in Portugal. Once you find a place to stay, I think the hotel/pension will have good information for you, and in my experience, they will speak English well and will be very attentive. Hope this works out, Buen camino, Laurie

December 2014 I took the Autna bus from SdC to Valenca do Minho. Their Valenca bus station was ( still is? ) on the Av. de Sa Carneiro near the Av de Sao Teotonio. During daylight I walked north from the station up and into the Fortress mentioned by Laurie. The Pousada within the Fortress and on the CP is open 24/7 and very comfortable but do not attempt to walk to it in the dark!

Bom caminho and Buen camino!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I find hotel lara, it is 400 meters from bus station they said it is quiet and safe

Good choice! Looking forward to reading your trip comments.
Ultreia!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Woohoooo I have checked off something else off my list!!! Thank you I feel better now knowing I made a right choice!!!

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back