• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto area options

auburnfive

Veteran Member
Hello,
Planning a tentative ( fingers crossed) Camino for Oct/ November. Coordinating flights and meeting up with travel companions, it looks like we will have 8 days in Porto. I have been there before, and enjoyed the city, but that seems a little long. Can anyone suggest an interesting and/or relaxing spot within a couple hours of Porto to spend a few days?

Many thanks

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Have you considered staying at a winery somewhere upstream in the Douro valley. The valley itself is a world heritage site.

A more cultural option would be Coimbra to the south, which is home to Portugal's oldest University and is a great historic city.

Hello fellow pilgrim,

one of the tips I received at my hostel in Porto was to drive down to Sao Jacinto with it's vast natural reserve and very fine beaches. Or further to Figueira da Foz with the Mondego outlet.

BC
Roland

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Braga is one of my favourite cities. It's also the starting point of a beautiful Camino to Santiago well there's actually 4 routes and they are called Camino Miñoto Ribeiro and Camino Geira Romana o dos Arrieros.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I agree with you 8 days in Porto is about 4 too many. This despite the fact that I have been there 3 times and love the city.

The problem is that if you were to fly into Madrid in order to spend 3-4 days there before heading to Porto, you are going to have to purchase plane tickets for more $$$ to get to Porto where I assume you will begin your walk to Santiago. You will also have to get back to the airport from the city central. Not difficult if you can handle the city's subway system and stay together as a group. So I would suggest Lisbon because you can use the train to head north to Porto. You could even have a stopover on the trip north if you wish - Coimbra or Figueira da Faz that Roland recommended.

I recommend the train because abundant lodging is always available near big city train systems and because, if you need to take a taxi to the train station, that cost is going to be less than a taxi to the airport. Lastly, it's cheaper than flying the same route and more comfortable, too.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back