• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto de Muge update

Pilgrim-S-414

HRperegrino
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances: 2019,2018, 2014 Camino Portuges: 2016
It looks like that Quinta da Marchanta doesn't accept pilgrims aymore.
I just arrived there, found the door open and nobody inside. After waiting for 15 minutes, called Via Lusitâna sos number and was told the place has a new owner and doesn't accept pilgrims anymore.

Thankfully there is Casa de Rio albergue 500m down the street, 15 EUR. Called +351 918 216 875 and a guy brought the key in 10min.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Thanks very much for this update! I am going to be revising the Lisbon-Porto guide in a while, and this is now on the top of my list for revisions. Hope you will let us know if you find more news.

And just another shout out to the Via Lusitana whose SOS number is available 24/7 to anyone in Portugal with camino problems -- help available in English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, and I think even German!

Last April when we were walking through Porto de Muge we stayed with Paula Castro (tel 939997657; mp.castro@sapo.pt). She is renovating an old manor house and was happy to take in pilgrims to stay. She also offered dinner and breakfast. I can't recall precisely how much we paid but it was very reasonable ... about 20 euro each for the room ?.. plus something extra for dinner. Staying in Porto de Muge was certainly easier than pushing through to Santarem directly from Azambuja.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It looks like that Quinta da Marchanta doesn't accept pilgrims aymore.
I just arrived there, found the door open and nobody inside. After waiting for 15 minutes, called Via Lusitâna sos number and was told the place has a new owner and doesn't accept pilgrims anymore.

Thankfully there is Casa de Rio albergue 500m down the street, 15 EUR. Called +351 918 216 875 and a guy brought the key in 10min.
thanks for the update - and yet i am saddened - as this place was such a restful abode during the caminho and post-caminho (stayed there another 5 days or so to "de-pilgrim" in that peaceful quinta right by the river Tejo.
Good to know there is another pilgrim resting place near by!
Saluti -
C

Last April when we were walking through Porto de Muge we stayed with Paula Castro (tel 939997657; mp.castro@sapo.pt). She is renovating an old manor house and was happy to take in pilgrims to stay. She also offered dinner and breakfast. I can't recall precisely how much we paid but it was very reasonable ... about 20 euro each for the room ?.. plus something extra for dinner. Staying in Porto de Muge was certainly easier than pushing through to Santarem directly from Azambuja.

Hi, DAvid,
Thanks for this update as well. How did I you find about about Paula? I will also get this information into the guide when I revise it. I don't know if you used our forum guide, https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/lisbon-to-porto-2015-version.298/

But if you did, I would greatly appreciate any more comments, corrections, additions, etc. you have. Thanks so much, Laurie

I also stayed at Paula's in the beginning of April. Nice dinner, made just for me alone. And breakfast next morning. There is indeed some renovation to be done and the wifi is almost non-existent. But anyway, a good place to stay after walking from VilaFranca de Xira. Paula has some slight connection with Mariano from Hs Vilatejo in VF de Xira.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi, DAvid,
Thanks for this update as well. How did I you find about about Paula? I will also get this information into the guide when I revise it. I don't know if you used our forum guide, https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/lisbon-to-porto-2015-version.298/

But if you did, I would greatly appreciate any more comments, corrections, additions, etc. you have. Thanks so much, Laurie
Hi Laurie,
I am actually using your guide as a pdf and will let you know of any suggestions to offer.

here is a first one. I was actually surprised there isn't a comprehensive albergue list.
One forum member did a great spreadsheet CP albergue list and I modified it and updated it somewhat, using info from VL site as well as urcamino. com and amigos Fátima website.
I also plan to add albergues, bars, restaurants and supermarkets to Google Maps since I've noticed quite a few aren't there or have incorrect position.

Hi Laurie,
I am actually using your guide as a pdf and will let you know of any suggestions to offer.

here is a first one. I was actually surprised there isn't a comprehensive albergue list.
One forum member did a great spreadsheet CP albergue list and I modified it and updated it somewhat, using info from VL site as well as urcamino. com and amigos Fátima website.
I also plan to add albergues, bars, restaurants and supermarkets to Google Maps since I've noticed quite a few aren't there or have incorrect position.

Great idea, Pilgrim-S, I will have to ask the author for permission to incorporate it, making the additions that have come up since that time. I won't be doing this till late fall, though, when I'll issue my annual call for help, so keep good notes and bombard me with updates! Bom Caminho, hope you enjoy the rest of your way.

P.s. I just clicked on the link to your blog in your signature and didn't see anything about this year's Caminho. Am I missing it?

I am blogging, but on my Croatian blog :)... the English version will have a bit after I get back

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am just starting to plan a little for my Caminho Portuguese next year. Do you remember what Paula's place is called please?

I am just starting to plan a little for my Caminho Portuguese next year. Do you remember what Paula's place is called please?

Via Lusitana lists these two places to stay in Porto Muge

Quinta da Burra
Turismo Rural – 20 €
R. do Sabugueiro, 177
Tel: 939 997 657

Casa do Rio
Alojamento Local – 15 €
R. Morgado, 2
Tel: 918 216 875

Facebook

This older thread confirms that the Quinta da Burra is the place run by Paula. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...-porto-de-muge-a-magical-place-to-stay.51696/

Thanks so much!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We were there Sept 15 2018. Paula is still amazing!

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back