• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto Highlights?

Patch

Time of past OR future Camino
St Jean to Santiago and Porto to Santiago
I have booked my flight to a Porto for June of next year. Will stay the first couple of nights in the city. Which begs the question of what are the not to be missed highlights?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have booked my flight to a Porto for June of next year. Will stay the first couple of nights in the city. Which begs the question of what are the not to be missed highlights?

It might be better if you ask your question in a new thread to not confuse things/answers here ;-)
Buen Camino, SY

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Beware. The Francesinha dish is a cholesterol bomb ! Anyway very delicious !
Downtown at the the river quai on the terraces ask for grilled sausage in aguardente.they light the 80° proof aguardente and your sausage-called chouriço-gets a delicious flavour when the aguardente has been burned and evaporated
A speciality from Porto. Not many know this.

If you like traditional and original Portuguese musical instruments ,visit the music shop Casa da Guitarra. It is close to the Sé cathedral at the left side on the way to the upperside of the famous Porto bridge . Next to beautifull instruments they sell nice artistic articles like brooches .When you are lucky, there are rehearsals with famous artists and the owner likes to inform you where the typical fado rehearsals are. We were lucky by then that in a small bar -without his knowledge you'll never will find it -was a great fado rehearsal done by locals.

Do not forget to visit the the São Bento railwaystation with its famous Portugues tiles -azulejos.
Porto is a beautifull town !

Bom caminho

Last edited:
Sao Ildefonso church with its blue tile facade is remarkable as is the Altar of Jesse which is in a church by the river front.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I got to 2 Bars with great fado music/song just off their main pedestrianised street . They really let give 100% in performance, even the locals. The mercado near Balhoa? metro and all the things mentioned above. Even the outdoor/indoor retro decor and location of the Macdonalds surpriseses. Their Main art gallery. the view from the Eifil Bridge. All are walkable to.

Do one of the walking tours.They are by donation and last about 3 hours. Very informative and they take you to hidden and intesting places.

I was cross that I had to pay to go into Livraria Lello, but I bit the bullet and did so. Wouldn't have missed it. You get the price back off a purchase. I think it's €3 if you just turn up and maybe €5 if you book online (because you don't have to queue then.) if you are worried about weight - just get a few bookmarks. Or they have Camino guides in many languages. THey have that quirky little guide to the CP with a hole running through it - mentioned elsewhere on these threads.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hey, thanks for all the tips, very useful. Have been to Portugal before so I know all about the food :)

Hi, I started in Lisbon last August. I walked via Porto to Santiago. When I got to Porto I took the open topped bus tour of the city. I found it great and then saw places that I would like to go back to. If you hope to spend a few days there, then this might be a possible starting point. Porto is nice and I think that it will be on my list to revisit.

All good stuff above, there are also the port cellars over the river. But if I went back I would also take a day to catch a train up the Douro River and valley (it is about 5 hours or so) then catch the boat back after visiting a few wineries.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
All good stuff above, there are also the port cellars over the river. But if I went back I would also take a day to catch a train up the Douro River and valley (it is about 5 hours or so) then catch the boat back after visiting a few wineries.
If you can find the boat back !:p

Go Modern!!! Casa de Musica and the Serravalves Museum of Contemporarty Art!!! Casa de Musica built by Rem Koolhaus do take the tour!
https://www.google.co.il/search?q=c...KEwjKx7Lu4drQAhXBJSwKHbyEBCUQ_AUIBigB&dpr=1.5
Serravalves Museum of Contemporarty Art was built by the Portuguese architect Álvaro Siza Vieira is a marvelous building not at all similar in appearance but sharing the faults of the Guggenheim in Bilbao - the building is far more impressive than the exhibits.

If you have time, check into taking a motorcycle sidecar tour with Side Ride Tours http://side-ride.pt/en/ . We didn’t know about/go on it until the night before we left, which was unfortunate because our driver showed us many places we wish we’d known about. Regardless, it’s a great way to get a feel for the city. Bonus: You will feel like a rock star – everyone waves and takes pictures of you as you tool around town!

Good place to stay in Porto: Nice Way Hostel http://nicewayhostels.com/porto/ . Only open for two weeks when we were there, so they were still working out some kinks, but I’m sure they’re good to go now. Nice place (as all the Nice Way Hostels we stayed at were), very centrally located.

Also, a tour of a Port winery is worth the time. We went on the Ferreira tour and really enjoyed it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Downtown at the the river quai on the terraces ask for grilled sausage in aguardente.they light the 80° proof aguardente and your sausage-called chouriço-gets a delicious flavour when the aguardente has been burned and evaporated

If you like traditional and original Portuguese musical instruments ,visit the music shop Casa da Guitarra. It is close to the Sé cathedral at the left side on the way to the upperside of the famous Porto bridge . Next to beautifull instruments they sell nice artistic articles like brooches .When you are lucky, there are rehearsals with famous artists and the owner likes to inform you where the typical fado rehearsals are. We were lucky by then that in a small bar -without his knowledge you'll never will find it -was a great fado rehearsal done by locals.

Do not forget to visit the the São Bento railwaystation with its famous Portugues tiles -azulejos.
Porto is a beautifull town !

Bom caminho

I'll be in Porto in late April. I've been to Porto three times in the past and one of the things I LOVE the most are the Tunas, the University Student singing groups. On two occasions I have been lucky enough to run across their performances and the recordings I made with my camera I still consider treasures. My question is, how can I find out when these singing groups are planning their performances while I am in town? Thanks.

And thanks for the heads up on the grilled sausages in aguardente and the Casa da Guitarra. Something new for this trip.

IMG_2634.JPG
I'll be in Porto in late April. I've been to Porto three times in the past and one of the things I LOVE the most are the Tunas, the University Student singing groups. On two occasions I have been lucky enough to run across their performances and the recordings I made with my camera I still consider treasures. My question is, how can I find out when these singing groups are planning their performances while I am in town? Thanks.

And thanks for the heads up on the grilled sausages in aguardente and the Casa da Guitarra. Something new for this trip.
Don't forget to eat the pasteís de nata, not special in Porto but everywhere in Portugal is this a national delicatesse.

At one of the pilgrimage recordings on You Tube I saw a pilgrim buying a ukelele at Casa da Guitarra and played on it during his camino to Santiago.
I did it in a different way. On our first caminho from Lisbon we ended up in Barcelos and made the detour by bus to Braga to visit the famous Bom Jesus do Monte church and after the visit we went to the towncenter and just like in Porto, close by the cathedral we discovered a nice music shop .we spoke to the owner ,admired the beautifull instruments and returned to Barcelos to continue to casa Fernanda and the rest of the camino.
The year after we came back to casa Fernanda after acomplishing the camino Inglès and went again to Braga and bought a beautifull gypsy jazz guitar. Since then we have been several times in Braga and this year I bought a typical Portuguese instrument, a cavaquinho, similar to a ukelele but used in folkmusic of Portugal, Madeira, Cabo Verde and the Açores. Mine is a variation, a cavaquinho Brasileiro as used in typical Brasilean choro music. And how interesting.. outside Brasil and Rio de Janeiro in particular here in Rotterdam the Netherlands where I live , by coincidence I discovered the only existing choroschool in Europe so now I am playing cavaquinho in a choro ensemble...
Coming year we go back to Portugal to be hospitaleiro at casa da Fernanda but also back to Braga to score another instrument...:)

On the picture in the middle Luis Múxima ,owner of the music store Som da Sé (sound of the cathedral) In Braga The picture was taken in May this year during the Roman festival.. Braga is a Roman town.
Luis is a famous singer/ musician around Porto and in the north of Portugal.

Last edited:
It would be nice to buy a guitar, or some other string instrument as a souvenir of Portugal, but I'm flying United.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It would be nice to buy a guitar, or some other string instrument as a souvenir of Portugal, but I'm flying United.

Ha Ha I have seen vids like these, grabbed among others in China.. a guy loading cases on the conveyer belt into the aircraft. Dancing on them,throwing them , and now and then missing the belt. Horrible ...that's my Gibson guitar..($$$$$$) oh my God....:(:(:(:(.
So the message of my post is.. buy a cavaquinho. It fits in your cabinluggage .:pI play stringed instruments like cavaquino, jazzguitar ($$$ Gibson archtops) and double bass and specially play on a so called electric upright bass with a detachable neck .folded in, it fits in the overhead compartment of an aircraft.! Unfortunately or you may call it fortunately I never travell with my instruments in (United) aircrafts :):):). Jazzmusicians are poor guys ;) they cannot afford to travel business class with champaign and caviar like those dj's or guys who only can play three campfire guitarchords but are on top of all charts :confused::confused::confused:.
Me-poor guy-have to walk :D and far too..all away to Santiago :):)

Bom caminho .

Last edited:
I was cross that I had to pay to go into Livraria Lello, but I bit the bullet and did so. Wouldn't have missed it. You get the price back off a purchase. I think it's €3 if you just turn up and maybe €5 if you book online (because you don't have to queue then.) if you are worried about weight - just get a few bookmarks. Or they have Camino guides in many languages. THey have that quirky little guide to the CP with a hole running through it - mentioned elsewhere on these threads.

Today's Travel section of the New York Times includes an article on "must visit" bookstores around the world. The Lello makes the list.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/07/travel/temples-for-the-literary-pilgrim.html

If you like traditional and original Portuguese musical instruments ,visit the music shop Casa da Guitarra. It is close to the Sé cathedral at the left side on the way to the upperside of the famous Porto bridge .

Bom caminho

Made it to Casa da Guitarra. Indeed there were beautiful instruments to be found.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If you have time, check into taking a motorcycle sidecar tour with Side Ride Tours http://side-ride.pt/en/ . We didn’t know about/go on it until the night before we left, which was unfortunate because our driver showed us many places we wish we’d known about. Regardless, it’s a great way to get a feel for the city. Bonus: You will feel like a rock star – everyone waves and takes pictures of you as you tool around town!

Good place to stay in Porto: Nice Way Hostel http://nicewayhostels.com/porto/ . Only open for two weeks when we were there, so they were still working out some kinks, but I’m sure they’re good to go now. Nice place (as all the Nice Way Hostels we stayed at were), very centrally located.

Also, a tour of a Port winery is worth the time. We went on the Ferreira tour and really enjoyed it.
Oh! Oh! I want to go on the Side Ride Tour! I'm gonna save up and do that one! Can't you just picture Adventure Nana on wheels? Dude!

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back