• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto metro and finding the way

Orlaith

Time of past OR future Camino
I have walked the Camino Frances (2009) all of it at once, and part of it from Pamplona to Bugros again (2011). Walked a little of the Primitivo to Santiago and beyond to Finnestere (2012). I walked in France from Le Puy to Conque (2014). Walked the Camino Portuguese from Port to Santiago (2015)
Hello

Arrived in Porto yesterday and will explore for a couple of days. Lovely city.

I'm planning on taking the metro to Matosinhos and then start walking to avoid the long stretch through urban landscapes.

But on leaving the metro station is it easy to find the way markings or will I be lost at the first challenge?

Any help or advice gratefully received as travelling alone . . At least for the moment!
Thank you
Orla

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Take the metro to the Mercado station in Matosinhos (not the Matosinhos station) and you will be practically right next to the bridge across the river that you need to take. After crossing that, just keep the river/ocean on your left.

BTW, it's not a bad walk out of town but it is a long walk from the Porto cathedral to Vila de Conde. I broke it up by walking to Matosinhos, taking the metro back to Porto, then the next day I took the metro back to Matisinhos and started again from there. Either way, Bom Caminho!

Take the metro to the Mercado station in Matosinhos (not the Matosinhos station) and you will be practically right next to the bridge across the river that you need to take. After crossing that, just keep the river/ocean on your left.

BTW, it's not a bad walk out of town but it is a long walk from the Porto cathedral to Vila de Conde. I broke it up by walking to Matosinhos, taking the metro back to Porto, then the next day I took the metro back to Matisinhos and started again from there. Either way, Bom Caminho!

Hi Michael

Thank you so much for this information. I think I will take the metro and keep moving forward. Will be pleasant to walk along the coast for a bit.

Love this forum and the kindness of Camino people.
Orla

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello

Arrived in Porto yesterday and will explore for a couple of days. Lovely city.

I'm planning on taking the metro to Matosinhos and then start walking to avoid the long stretch through urban landscapes.

But on leaving the metro station is it easy to find the way markings or will I be lost at the first challenge?

Any help or advice gratefully received as travelling alone . . At least for the moment!
Thank you
Orla
taking the bus (as i recall it's #500 to maosinhos - passes by Sao Bento trainstation as well) is also an option. you'll see the pretty sights alongside the river Douro.
went to line end - crossed the bridge - and off we went along side the atlantico.
bom caminho!
c

Yes like the others wrote it is quite simple, over the bridge , then the left crossing the fortress and hoppa to the Atlantic. I left around 7.30 two weeks ago and the stallholders on the beach were still putting out their equipment. So quiet for the couple of hours. And then you will find your first marker... Buen Camino.

Last edited:
taking the bus (as i recall it's #500 to maosinhos - passes by Sao Bento trainstation as well) is also an option. you'll see the pretty sights alongside the river Douro.
went to line end - crossed the bridge - and off we went along side the atlantico.
bom caminho!
c
Hello

And thank you for this !

Reached Povoa de Varzim and stayed in the Albergue near the church. Which was fine.

One small problem the people sharing the four bed dorm have taken (mistakenly I assume) some of my clothes. Left to dry on window. Obviously every item counts as I'm trying to travel light. Kinda annoying to be honest as also gone are my swimming togs. Ahh well all replaceable.

Orla

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, too late for the OP now, but one of the best walks for me, on the entire Lisbon to Santiago stretch, was the walk from the centre of Porto, alongside the river, to Matoshinos. It is only 8 kms, and there is so much to see and experience. Watch the boats on the river, stop and have an ice cream, watch the kids having fun on the beaches, enjoy a coffee in a beach café, and sample the sardines on the street stalls near Matosinhos. It is so different from every other day on the caminho, it shouldn’t be missed! Get the bus back into Porto to spend the night, returning by bus to Matosinhos next morning to continue the walk over the bridge. Jill

Hello

And thank you for this !

Reached Povoa de Varzim and stayed in the Albergue near the church. Which was fine.

One small problem the people sharing the four bed dorm have taken (mistakenly I assume) some of my clothes. Left to dry on window. Obviously every item counts as I'm trying to travel light. Kinda annoying to be honest as also gone are my swimming togs. Ahh well all replaceable.

Orla
Blast - unfortunate incident. sorry to hear it....
yes, it's all replacable - but still, an incident you probably could have done without easily - you may (or may not ) cross path again and hopefully get to remedy the situation.
don't let it dampen your spirit - much beauty still to experience ... bom caminho!

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back