• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto or Santiago

Mfed

Time of past OR future Camino
Portugal, starting in Porto in October of 2018
4 of us, over 60s, are walking Porto to Santiago in early October. We will travel back to Porto from Santiago for our flight to Toronto. We are scheduling an extra night before our flight. Given all the considerations, where should we spend it, in Santiago or Porto?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Mfed,
This may just be me, but it would be very difficult to walk in to Santiago and then have to get back to Porto the same day. If I were you I'd spend your extra night in Santiago and that way you can have margin to say proper goodbyes to Camino friends, stand in line for your Compostela, and visit the Cathedral and/or other places that others may have told you about.

If you have extra time before your Camino starts, I think walking around Porto would be a great thing then. It's a beautiful city.

What do others think?

Enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino!
Faith

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Theres much to be seen in both cities. In my opinion it's good to properly absorb and celebrate completion of a pilgrimage before setting off on the journey home. I'd suggest staying in Santiago, particularly if this is your first Camino. Having said that I'd personally like to explore Porto more!

If we're honest, BOTH cities are beautiful, and worth spending a couple of days in. But don't rush your camino. Take your time, enjoy the walking as well as the start and end.
On a purely personal basis, I would spend a bit more time in Porto, simply because I've been to Santiago so often!!
Buen camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Porto is beautiful as is Santiago. But being in Santiago for at least a couple of days after your Camino is a time to cherish. You will want to get your credential, go spend time and go to the Pilgrim mass in our Cathedral. I always try to find a quiet place to just sit in the Cathedral, although it is getting tougher to find anywhere meditative in the main Cathedral. But maybe most importantly to meet friends you met along the way for one last coffee or dinner.
I will bet just about anything that when you arrive in Santiago you will feel the same as me and just about every other person here. As others have said fly to Porto a couple of days early and remove all doubt.

Hi Mfed,
This may just be me, but it would be very difficult to walk in to Santiago and then have to get back to Porto the same day. If I were you I'd spend your extra night in Santiago and that way you can have margin to say proper goodbyes to Camino friends, stand in line for your Compostela, and visit the Cathedral and/or other places that others may have told you about.

If you have extra time before your Camino starts, I think walking around Porto would be a great thing then. It's a beautiful city.

What do others think?

Enjoy all the planning and Buen Camino!
Faith
I would totally agree with these comments. Spend a night in Santiago and enjoy / celebrate. If you can spare the time, spend a few days in Porto before you begin.

4 of us, over 60s, are walking Porto to Santiago in early October. We will travel back to Porto from Santiago for our flight to Toronto. We are scheduling an extra night before our flight. Given all the considerations, where should we spend it, in Santiago or Porto?

I echo all the other comments here. We are walking from Porto to Santiago and though I've been in Santiago three times previously, I still look forward to post Camino mingling and savoring.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back