• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto pilgrim Passport!

Warge

Time of past OR future Camino
Future november
I will be starting my journey from Porto Tommorow and will do a variant hike from coastal to middle path, then at valenca, will do thr middle all the way till santiago.

I want to make sure I am doing this right, eith the passport and everything, jopefully to get the Compostela certificate.

I just brought my pilgrim passport at Porto Church, and its already pre stamped, but theres no date. Is it suppose to have a date on the startimg point? Thank you!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I will be starting my journey from Porto Tommorow and will do a variant hike from coastal to middle path, then at valenca, will do thr middle all the way till santiago.

I want to make sure I am doing this right, eith the passport and everything, jopefully to get the Compostela certificate.

I just brought my pilgrim passport at Porto Church, and its already pre stamped, but theres no date. Is it suppose to have a date on the startimg point? Thank you!

Just write the date yourself, that is ok to do .And maybe ask the receptionist at the hotel you are staying to give a second stamp.Or any other place of course. If you will be staying in an albergue they will have their stamp too.

Buen Camino and enjoy!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Do i need 2 stamps even outside of the 100km mark?
Thank you

No you don't but if you want it is not hard to get them. On the Portugues I even got sellos in bakeries ( and you will want to stop there, trust me, for one of the gorgeous pastries and coffee! ) . Or the local townhall or the library or even the pharmacy ...

In 2018 we walked from Porto to Viana do Castelo, took the train to Tamel, walked to Casa da Fernanda, stayed there for some days as Fernanda and Jacinto are close friends, we made daytrips to Ponte de Lima and Braga and continued our caminho from Viana de Castelo to Valença do Minho

in 2019 we continued our caminho , starting in Mosteiro de Vairão , meeting our friend and hospitaleira of the Vairão albergue, Carla. Then we took the train to Tamel to visit casa da Fernanda again and continued our walk in Valença do Minho to Santiago.

Last edited:
The first part of your route today will take you past Matosinhos. You can get your Compostela stamped at the Xacobeo 2021 exhibition at the usefully titled window which says "get your Compostela stamped here".

The exhibition is a bit understated for my likingIMG_2741.JPG

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Just to clarify, it's the credential that will be stamped, not the Compostela. 😉 The Compostela is awarded in Santiago after the fully stamped credential is presented at the Pilgrims Office.

Although it’s recommended to get two stamps a day in the final 100 kilometers, you may find that you collect far more. The Compostela is a wonderful recognition of the pilgrimage. However, I find that the stamps I collect along The Way are a far better souvenir of the paths that I traveled. From churches to albergues to restaurants and bars to historic sites, the stamps or sellos bring back the most fond memories of my days walking dusty trails or pushing against strong winds and rain. You will not have any problem getting your “passport” stamped.

3B36CDD6-445C-4C20-9554-C9D80234A05D.jpeg

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey,

Thanks! I was planning on buying the Credencial from the Ivar store for our Porto Camino next year. Can I use them or do we need a different one?

Although it’s recommended to get two stamps a day in the final 100 kilometers, you may find that you collect far more. The Compostela is a wonderful recognition of the pilgrimage. However, I find that the stamps I collect along The Way are a far better souvenir of the paths that I traveled. From churches to albergues to restaurants and bars to historic sites, the stamps or “cellos” bring back the most fond memories of my days walking dusty trails or pushing against strong winds and rain. You will not have any problem getting your “passport” stamped.

View attachment 112369
Stamps are “ sellos “ in Spanish and Carimbos in Portuguese 😊

Hey,

Thanks! I was planning on buying the Credencial from the Ivar store for our Porto Camino next year. Can I use them or do we need a different one?
You can obtain an original Portuguese credencial, issued by Via Lusitana at the Sé Cathedral in Porto where you probably will start. 2€ are the costs.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
No you don't but if you want it is not hard to get them. On the Portugues I even got sellos in bakeries ( and you will want to stop there, trust me, for one of the gorgeous pastries and coffee! ) . Or the local townhall or the library or even the pharmacy ...
The new Credencial states "At least 2 stamps a day"

The new Credencial states "At least 2 stamps a day"

Yes, the last hundred kilometres.
See here on the official website of the Oficina de Peregrinos.

"
  • You must collect the stamps on the “Credencial del Peregrino” from the places you pass through to certify that you have been there. Stamps from churches, hostels, monasteries, cathedrals and all places related to the Way are preferred, but if not they can also be stamped in other institutions: town halls, cafés, etc. You have to stamp the Credencial twice a day at least on the last 100 km (for pilgrims on foot or on horseback) or on the last 200 km (for cyclists pilgrims). "

Do i need 2 stamps even outside of the 100km mark?
Thank you
You don't need 2 stamps but if you want to fill your booklet up get some where you can
You won't collect many if you only get 1 or 2 a day! Enjoy your walk you lucky person!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As for credentials, any credential from any Camino organization will work on any Camino. Always interesting to see the variety from the various countries and organizations.

In 2018 we walked from Porto to Viana do Castelo, took the train to Tamel, walked to Casa da Fernanda, stayed there for some days as Fernanda and Jacinto are close friends, we made daytrips to Ponte de Lima and Braga and continued our caminho from Viana de Castelo to Valença do Minho

in 2019 we continued our caminho , starting in Mosteiro de Vairão , meeting our friend and hospitaleira of the Vairão albergue, Carla. Then we took the train to Tamel to visit casa da Fernanda again and continued our walk in Valença do Minho to Santiago.
Albertinho, as I begin planning my Camino Portuguese, I am developing a list of questions. When I saw your reply, I decided you would be a good person for answers because you seemed to have walked around the same time I am planning - end of April thru mid May. Here are some questions- since May 1 is a holiday, do the Portuguese go off for long weekends, extended weekends, and where do they go? Will this affect pilgrims and lodging options? Are there other national holidays May 1 - May 20 in Portugual and Spain? Is there a "siesta" time similar to Spain with businesses closed? When are the traditional meal times?
Apologies if this is changing the thread. Let me know if I should start a separate one.

Albertinho, as I begin planning my Camino Portuguese, I am developing a list of questions. When I saw your reply, I decided you would be a good person for answers because you seemed to have walked around the same time I am planning - end of April thru mid May. Here are some questions- since May 1 is a holiday, do the Portuguese go off for long weekends, extended weekends, and where do they go? Will this affect pilgrims and lodging options? Are there other national holidays May 1 - May 20 in Portugual and Spain? Is there a "siesta" time similar to Spain with businesses closed? When are the traditional meal times?
Apologies if this is changing the thread. Let me know if I should start a separate one.
olá bom dia TaijiPilgrim.

yes I walked in April and May to Santiago from Lisbon and Porto .
it is not so regular that the Portuguese go out for the (extended ) weekends.
But if they go ,most will go to the beaches. But the northern beaches are not so crowded.
the only place between Porto as far as I know is Praia de Âncora where I saw more tourists . But no problem. Goto the tourist information. When you arrive in Praia de Âncora and head for the boulevard/beach the tourist info is in the beginning of the boulevard. You cannot miss it.They have addresses where to stay. There is no albergue but lots of rooms for rent.
they other places like Vila do Conde Esposende , Viana do Castelo and Caminha are not realy places tourists go for bathing .
Portugal Public Holidays
  • New Year's Day. 01 January 2021.
  • Good Friday. 02 April 2021.
  • Easter Sunday. 04 April 2021.
  • Freedom Day. 25 April 2021.
  • Labour Day. 01 May 2021.
  • Corpus Christi. 03 June 2021.
  • Portugal Day. 10 June 2021.
  • Assumption. 15 August 2021.
the Galician public holidays I will copy in the next message

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

But if they go ,most will go to the beaches. But the northern beaches are not so crowded.
the only place between Porto as far as I know is Praia de Âncora where I saw more tourists . But no problem. Goto the tourist information. When you arrive in Praia de Âncora and head for the boulevard/beach the tourist info is in the beginning of the boulevard. You cannot miss it.They have addresses where to stay. There is no albergue but lots of rooms for rent.
they other places like Vila do Conde Esposende , Viana do Castelo and Caminha are not realy places tourists go for bathing .

Portugal Public Holidays
  • New Year's Day. 01 January 2021.
  • Good Friday. 02 April 2021.
  • Easter Sunday. 04 April 2021.
  • Freedom Day. 25 April 2021.
  • Labour Day. 01 May 2021.
  • Corpus Christi. 03 June 2021.
  • Portugal Day. 10 June 2021.
  • Assumption. 15 August 2021.

In the north west of Spain and Portugal people do not have siesta time slthough some shops could be closed between about 14:00 and 16:30 hrs
I used to work in Catalunya( Barcelona and 3 other provinces) and even there was no siesta time Siesta is common in the southern area of Spain (Andalucia) where it can be very hot during summertime.

Regular mealtimes

Spanish and Portuguese regulary do not have breakfast at home but go to a bar in the morning to drink a coffee and eat a croissant .
at 13:30 hrs they go to a restaurant for a menu do (del) dia , as I described in a post this mornixng for a 3 course meal About 14:30 till 15:00 hrs they go back to work till about 18:30 . Then they go to a bar , gather with their families and drink wine or beer and eat some coxinhas (tapas) As far as I know they seldom cook at home.
during the weekend it will be very busy in any restaurants because complete families together with grand parents go out for a meal from about 14:00 till about 18:00 hrs and you hardly will find a place This was my experience in Catalunya especially along the beaches . during my caminhos I did not experienced this so much because the northwest of Portugal and Galicia is more remote except for the bigger towns like Porto, Viana do Castello, Baiona , Vigo , Redondela, Pontevedra, Padron and Santiago.
But you always will find a place to eat. I as a Dutchman always went out for dinner after 18:00 and there was plenty of place .

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
In the north west of Spain and Portugal people do not have siesta time slthough some shops could be closed between about 14:00 and 16:30 hrs
I used to work in Catalunya( Barcelona and 3 other provinces) and even there was no siesta time Siesta is common in the southern area of Spain (Andalucia) where it can be very hot during summertime.

Regular mealtimes

Spanish and Portuguese regulary do not have breakfast at home but go to a bar in the morning to drink a coffee and eat a croissant .
at 13:30 hrs they go to a restaurant for a menu do (del) dia , as I described in a post this mornixng for a 3 course meal About 14:30 till 15:00 hrs they go back to work till about 18:30 . Then they go to a bar , gather with their families and drink wine or beer and eat some coxinhas (tapas) As far as I know they seldom cook at home.
during the weekend it will be very busy in any restaurants because complete families together with grand parents go out for a meal from about 14:00 till about 18:00 hrs and you hardly will find a place This was my experience in Catalunya especially along the beaches . during my caminhos I did not experienced this so much because the northwest of Portugal and Galicia is more remote except for the bigger towns like Porto, Viana do Castello, Baiona , Vigo , Redondela, Pontevedra, Padron and Santiago.
But you always will find a place to eat. I as a Dutchman always went out for dinner after 18:00 and there was plenty of place .
Albertinho, thank you so much for the quick replies. I have walked caminos in Spain and France, and it is useful to know the cultural differences and customs in Portugal. In France and Spain, many businesses and restaurants are closed or have limited hours on Sunday. Is this also true in Portugal? Thank you in advance, and I hope you don't mind more questions as I think of them.

Albertinho, thank you so much for the quick replies. I have walked caminos in Spain and France, and it is useful to know the cultural differences and customs in Portugal. In France and Spain, many businesses and restaurants are closed or have limited hours on Sunday. Is this also true in Portugal? Thank you in advance, and I hope you don't mind more questions as I think of them.

the northern part of Portugal is rural, agricultural. Very kind people you will meet.
The food is great. Portuguese eat a lot of fish- an important dish - Icelandic or Norwegian codfish called bacalhau and for every day they have a different recipe. Gorgeous ! Well so much to tell about my favorite country but I should say. Find out yourself and enjoy it. Feel free to ask more and if I can I definitively will answer if I am competent to answer of course.
bom caminho

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As for credentials, any credential from any Camino organization will work on any Camino. Always interesting to see the variety from the various countries and organizations.
It is not only a document to prove that you walked the last 100 kms but also it reminds you to all places you have been during your walk and if you start from Portugal, what is nicer than to have an original Portuguese credential. I fancy my 6 credentials ( needed 2 of them by starting in Lisbon once) and now and than I look at them and it reminds me to all glorious -and less glorious moments of my 5 caminhos.credentials are far better than the souvenirs you buy, once you arrive in Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back