• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto - Santiago on bicycle in 5 days

nickynackyblam

Time of past OR future Camino
none so far / Porto - Santiago
Hello All,

I am planning on cycling the camino from Porto to Santiago from the 1st September until the 5th of September to arrive in Santigo.
I am quite a confident cyclist and wanted to ask if it can be done in 5 days of riding and if you think I can do it. I will also need to rent a bike in Porto and drop off in Santiago.

Many thanks,
Nicholas

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Should be easy! I met pilgrims who walked it in nine. Surely you can go twice as far as a pedestrian each day? :)

Ha perfect. I think so too now but wanted to check as all the tours say at least 6/7 days on bike. I will go for it. Thanks very much!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well, of course I don't know how many km you can average a day. It's a fairly flat route. If you aim to do 40-50km every day, you'll make it on the fifth day. Check gronze for the stages and do two a day:

That is great, thanks so much H Richards. You have been a great help and it is much appreciated. I now have a plan that should be easy enough-

1st Sept to 5th Sept Camino!!!

Day 1
Porto - start
Vilarinho
Barcelos - Sleep stop 1st Sept (53km in the day)

Day 2
Ponte de Lima
Rubiaes - Sleep stop 2nd Sept (51.9km in the day)

Day 3
Tui
Redondela - Sleep stop 3rd Sept (50.7km in the day)

Day 4
Pontevedra
Caldas de Reis - Sleep stop 4th Sept (40.7km in the day)

Day 5
Padron
Santiago - Sleep stop 5th Sept and finish! (24.9km in teh day)

fly home 6th Sept AM.

That is great, thanks so much H Richards. You have been a great help and it is much appreciated. I now have a plan that should be easy enough-

1st Sept to 5th Sept Camino!!!

Day 1
Porto - start
Vilarinho
Barcelos - Sleep stop 1st Sept (53km in the day)

Day 2
Ponte de Lima
Rubiaes - Sleep stop 2nd Sept (51.9km in the day)

Day 3
Tui
Redondela - Sleep stop 3rd Sept (50.7km in the day)

Day 4
Pontevedra
Caldas de Reis - Sleep stop 4th Sept (40.7km in the day)

Day 5
Padron
Santiago - Sleep stop 5th Sept and finish! (24.9km in teh day)

fly home 6th Sept AM.
If you don't have your bicycle hire sorted, I would recommend Vieguini Scooters (they do bikes too) in Porto. We hired bikes from them this July for the Camino Portuguese. The bikes were good, the Vieguini Team were really friendly and helpful and they have a system for dropping off the bikes in SDC. You would need to contact them soon though, they were pretty busy.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The section from Ponte de Lima to Rubiaes will be the tricky one, for walkers there is a scramble at one point as you go up to and over the highest point from Porto but there is usually an alternative cycle route, if you have a cycling guide then it should all be in there.

I would say the Portuguese presents the least challenge to cyclists because of the shear amount of asphalt that you go over, your distances look very doable.

Buen Camino

em this July for
The section from Ponte de Lima to Rubiaes will be the tricky one, for walkers there is a scramble at one point as you go up to and over the highest point from Porto but there is usually an alternative cycle route, if you have a cycling guide then it should all be in there.

I would say the Portuguese presents the least challenge to cyclists because of the shear amount of asphalt that you go over, your distances look very doable.

Buen Camino

Thanks very much. That is very helpful. I was trying to decide between a mountain bike or hybrid road bike. I guess I will be ok with the hybrid bike then and don't need a full mountain bike.

@nickynackyblam - 5 days are certainly doable. We are leaving in a few days to do it in three, putting in about 100k a day, although I'm sad to rush it. Hoping that the zig zag route lets us see more.

Day 1:
Porto
Braga
Ponte de Lima

Day 2:
Biaona
Ponteverde

Day 3
Noia
Santiago

Bikes are the hybrids delivered from Pilgrims.es, front suspension and disc brakes.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.