• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto- Santiago, September 2016

gwdelmar

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, September- October (2014) SJPP- SdC
Camino Portugues, September (2016) Porto-SdC
Hello, my wife and I are back to another Camino, Porto to Santiago mid September 2016, after we did the Frances in 2014, and loved it. We will start Oporto, Matosinhos, Vila do Conde, and then we will take central route to Barcelos, and go on. In Barcelos , we want to take an extra day to visit Braga (we have been told, and read, that it is a must see). Now , my question is, as I see in Brierley's book, I have couple options after Vila do Conde. I was planning to take the route via Junqueira, but the route via Beiriz seems shorter. As we want to reach Barcelos, and we know it will be around 30 kms. from Vila do Conde, is it worth to take the Beiriz route, even when the book says that is not very well marked, in order to save few kms. ? I'm not even sure how many kms. we would be saving, as the map I'm looking at, I'm finding it a bit confusing (Brierley).
After the extra day visiting Braga, and coming back to Barcelos, we are planning to make a stop at Casa de Fernanda, a highly recommended place to stay. From there the route stops would be (not etched in stone),Ponte de Lima, Rubiaes, Tui, Redondela, Pontevedra, Caldas de Reis, Padron, Santiago de Compostela.
We are very much looking forward to another Camino. Any route, lodging and dinning suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Your plans are similar to my trip last October. I took the Metro out to Matosinhos and walked to Vila do Conde. It was mostly road walking from Vila do Conde to Sao Pedro de Rates. You will meet more pilgrims in Rates. And, you'll get the "infamous" tw0-color stamp for your credencial. I stopped in Barcelos for lunch the next day, couldn't find my albergue and kept walking to Portela. This made for a short walk to Casa Fernanda. I had made my reservation when I was in Rates to allow for a few days notice.

Quinta Estrada Romana is worth your consideration for an overnight stay - I stopped for only a water break (http://beautifulboot.com/). Geof and Les are gracious hosts and very accommodating. I had stayed at Ninho the night before which is very interesting. I stayed in the Fortress in Valenca at Portas Do Sol and then stayed the next night in Tui.

In Padron, Igrexa de Santiago and Monte Santiaguino are must sees. Kneeling at the mooring post behind the church altar and then venturing up, up, up the outside stairs to Monte Santiaguino was very satisfying. This is the outside altar where St. James preached is the picture on the front of the Brierley guide. Many good restaurants in Padron. The scallop shaped chapel, Santuario da Peregrina, is along The Way in Pontevedra. Lunch nearby on the square is a great way to watch the world go by. I shortened my walking into Santiago by staying at Parada de Francos in Teo the night before. Not much there, but I suppered at a very nice restaurant out along the highway nearby

Hello lonestarmatt and Albertinho,
Thanks for your replies and advice. I'm taking note. Regarding casa de Fernanda, I will be calling her few days ahead, as I have been reading that it can get full, and we would like to stay there. I have already a reminder in my notes, about Refugio de la Jerezana, and I will take it in consideration, depending on how we feel that day, as we are planning to walk from Tui, and the walk will be over 30kms., as I understand. But, as we did in the camino Frances, nothing is etch in a stone, and it is a possibility. Thanks again for the advice, though. Have any of you been in Braga ? I am planning on including it in my itinerary, as I have read that is highly recommended, and we don't mind to take an extra day and go for a visit.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello lonestarmatt and Albertinho,
Thanks for your replies and advice. I'm taking note. Regarding casa de Fernanda, I will be calling her few days ahead, as I have been reading that it can get full, and we would like to stay there. I have already a reminder in my notes, about Refugio de la Jerezana, and I will take it in consideration, depending on how we feel that day, as we are planning to walk from Tui, and the walk will be over 30kms., as I understand. But, as we did in the camino Frances, nothing is etch in a stone, and it is a possibility. Thanks again for the advice, though. Have any of you been in Braga ? I am planning on including it in my itinerary, as I have read that is highly recommended, and we don't mind to take an extra day and go for a visit.
You are welcome !
Braga I know as my pocket ! I am in Braga once to twice a year.
It is an old Roman town . In May are Roman feasts. Great to attend.
The Bom Jesus do Monte church on top of a mountain, overseeing Braga is a must when you are there .it is a world momument.
Braga is the Portuguese town where lots of tipical Portuguese musical instruments are built.(my interest) the builders are all concentrated in and around Braga.
Bought some great instruments there.

Last edited:
You are welcome !
Braga I know as my pocket ! I am in Braga once to twice a year.
It is an old Roman town . In May are Roman feasts. Great to attend.
The Bom Jesus do Monte church on top of a mountain, overseeing Braga is a must when you are there .it is a world momument.
Braga is the Portuguese town where lots of tipical Portuguese musical instruments are built.(my interest) the builders are all concentrated in and around Braga.
Bought some great instruments there.[/QUOTE

Great to hear that. We are looking forward to see Braga, and specially to visit the Bom Jesus do Monte church.

Sorry albertinho, I don't know how my reply got into your quote. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I haven't made it to Braga and two places that other Pilgrims discussed with on Camino Portugues were the Variante Espiritual and Hebron near Padron. Two of the Pilgrims I met enjoyed a boat ride down the river on the Espiritual and several pilgrims talked about the communal meal at Hebron that offered extra special memories. I'm beginning to believe you can walk the Camino many times and each trip would be a new adventure.

Walked the Portuguese Route in 2013 and my one regret was that in Pontevedra I stayed out at the alberque. It's a great town with some good sights and a few really excellent restaurants. I ended up returning after finishing in Santiago. I also found the day from Tui to Redondella very long so plan to break it up this year.

I also missed seeing Braga last time, so was planning to hit it by train from Porto this year. Looking up information for the trip I found mention of an alternate Camino that passes through Braga. So now I plan to start from Braga. It took a lot of searching, but finally managed to find good maps and route information. (http://www.caminador.es).

If all goes according to schedule I should start on Sept. 19 and reach Ponte de Lima on Sept. 20. Perhaps are paths will cross somewhere along the Camino.

Walked the Portuguese Route in 2013 and my one regret was that in Pontevedra I stayed out at the alberque. It's a great town with some good sights and a few really excellent restaurants. I ended up returning after finishing in Santiago. I also found the day from Tui to Redondella very long so plan to break it up this year.

I also missed seeing Braga last time, so was planning to hit it by train from Porto this year. Looking up information for the trip I found mention of an alternate Camino that passes through Braga. So now I plan to start from Braga. It took a lot of searching, but finally managed to find good maps and route information. (http://www.caminador.es).

If all goes according to schedule I should start on Sept. 19 and reach Ponte de Lima on Sept. 20. Perhaps are paths will cross somewhere along the Camino.

We might cross paths at some point, since we plan on being in Braga around those days, and then continue to Santiago .

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Steven, I'm excited to to see someone else who is walking from Braga. I am considering walking from Guimaraes to Braga, then Braga to Ponte De Lima, possibly stopping at the albergue in Goaes. Then taking the traditional Camino Portugues from there. Thanks for the link to the maps! Very helpful! I assume you've found this website: http://caminosantiago.usal.es/torres/. I found the blogs to be very informative. I am starting around October 19th if I can drag myself out of Porto.

I just finished Porto to Santiago (Villa do Conte - Rates) only 4 days ago. Also took the Junquerie route. Markings are scarce between VdC and Rates but the book is helpful. Cassa Fernanda was superb, I booked it 2 days ahead, the only place I booked. My advice would be to book in Santiago, top up water and carry food for the big climb out of Ponte de Lima, Drink supers drink Super Bock in Portugal and eat peppers in Spain. I hope the fires are finished by the time you start, they made it interesting for us. Good luck.
Bon Camino

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.