• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto - Santiago : the Braga way

Lucien

Time of past OR future Camino
Chemin du puy + Camino Frances 2006
Via de la Plata 2009
Voie d'Arles 2013
Hello,

I did some years ago three ways ( Voie du Puy + Camino Frances, Via de la Plata, Chemin d'Arles ) and I am now planning to walk the Camino Portuguese in june 2004.
I would like, when reaching Porto, to take the Braga way but, for the moment, I am seeking from clear indications about this way .
Could some people help me ? Books in french ( my mother language ), english, spanish, german or portuguese are welcome !
Best regards
Lucien

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello,

I did some years ago three ways ( Voie du Puy + Camino Frances, Via de la Plata, Chemin d'Arles ) and I am now planning to walk the Camino Portuguese in june 2004.
I would like, when reaching Porto, to take the Braga way but, for the moment, I am seeking from clear indications about this way .
Could some people help me ? Books in french ( my mother language ), english, spanish, german or portuguese are welcome !
Best regards
Lucien

We were in Braga earlier this year but never met any indications, arrows etc although you should expect so ,by arriving at the wonderful church Bom Jesus do Mont. We made a detour from Barcelos and after visiting Braga we continued from Barcelos the traditional interior way to Santiago via Valença and Redondela and so on.

Last edited:
There is actually a way that goes from Braga, the problem it's the markings from Porto to Braga. You will probably catch 70% of road walking on that detour.

You can send an email to the Friends Association from the Camiño de Santiago in Braga: aacs_braga@hotmail.com

If this email doesn't work, please warn me.

Best Regards
Diogo

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Many thanks Albertino.
Bom Jesus, that's the reason I want to go to Braga from Porto and after, of course, to Ponte de Lima. May be I could find some indications in a near future.
If not, I probaly do like you.
All the best to you and Merry Xmas
Lucien

Many thanks Albertino.
Bom Jesus, that's the reason I want to go to Braga from Porto and after, of course, to Ponte de Lima. May be I could find some indications in a near future.
Lucien

Lucien, just one thing. The sanctuary of Bom Jesus do Monte, is located 5km from Braga and it's on an opposite direction from the Camiño. So, if you want to see things with time, take one day to visit. It's totally worthy, I've done exactly the same thing this year ;)

Best Regards
Diogo

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Many thanks Diogo.
I have immediatly send a mail to the two addresses. But aacs_braga@hotmail.com mailbox is unavailable. May be the other mail will be operational.
I know that Bom Jesus is on a hill, a few kilometers from Braga : no problem for a pilgrim !
Lucien

Many thanks Albertino.
Lucien

Yes we learned about it by the camiño Portuges guide of John Brierley. He mentioned the detour as you are in Barcelos so we booked a second night there and took the bus -opposite the hospital- to Braga without backpacks. Got nice stamps at our credentials in the Sé cathedral and also in the Bom Jesus church. the church is awesome beautiful.

Bom caminho

Many thanks Diogo.
I have immediatly send a mail to the two addresses. But aacs_braga@hotmail.com mailbox is unavailable. May be the other mail will be operational.
I know that Bom Jesus is on a hill, a few kilometers from Braga : no problem for a pilgrim !
Lucien

Do not take the funicular up to the top but walk the stairs. Like we did. Do not forget your camera ! Boas festas e feliz ano novo 2014 !

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Do not take the funicular up to the top but walk the stairs. Like we did. Do not forget your camera ! Boas festas e feliz ano novo 2014 !

Spend 2€ on that thing is a mistake! Take the stairs, it's not so hard has that. You can also visit Sameiro, 2km up ahead, which is also great.

Feliz Natal para todos :)

Best Regards
Diogo

Spend 2€ on that thing is a mistake! Take the stairs, it's not so hard has that. You can also visit Sameiro, 2km up ahead, which is also great.

Feliz Natal para todos :)

Best Regards
Diogo

Verdad amigo Diogo ! Verdad !

Hi just thought i would add to this,an Albergue de Peregrinos opened in Braga in the summer, i dont have details and theres one at the halfwayish point between Braga and Ponte de Lima which opened in 2011.
In a couple of blogs i have seen this year i have seen Amigos from the Barcelos region walking between there and Braga, did not see any waymarking in the photos but there is the possibility it is there, so you could still walk from Porto but detour at Barcelos, i think it would be about 30-35 km, the distance between Braga and Ponte de Lima by the Caminho is 34km.

Mike

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Once again, many thanks to all the contributors.
As Albertinho said, if I don't find clear indications for walking to Braga, I probably do like him i.e. a bus from Barcelos to Braga and Bom Jesus and after back to Barcelos.
But I prefer to walk the Camino on a not very common way, if possible.
I know that there is two "albergues" in Braga and Goaes : thanks Mike !

Lucien

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back