• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto - Santiago vv by Train: has anyone experience?

gaviota

In november I'm going to Santiago to celebrate the 1st anniversary of my camino last year and the 50th anniversary of my Galician friend Manolo. I don't have much to spend this year neither in time nor in money. Cheepest flight from Amsterdam is to Porto and from there by bus or train. Has anyone experiences with travelling to.from Santiago by train or bus. What are estimated costs and time? Renfe website does not help me our.

Thanks for helping out folks!

Joop van der Donk

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On the alsa bus website ( http://www.alsa.es/portal/site/Alsa click on schedules information) it looks like there are direct buses from the porto airport to santiago for 26 euros one way or 44 round trip. There appear to be departures at 9:15, 14:45 and 16:45 and it takes about 4 1/2 hours. I put in a random date in November--maybe departures depend on the day of the week.) I have not done this myself, I just checked the website. I think for a train you have to go through/change trains in vigo.

You can check the Portuguese rail schedule at http://www.cp.pt
You will find that there is twice daily rail service from Porto to Vigo, and easy train connections from there to Santiago.
There is an hours’ difference between the two countries.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When we were all finding our various ways out of Santiago early July, the very cheapest way was found by some young ones.... who caught the train to Porto then flew out from there. So I think you have hit on the cheapest way, and one I will definitely think about if I ever get to Santiago again!
Margaret

I walked the the Camino Portugues last Easter and I also flew to/from Porto. I took the ALSA bus back to Porto and it worked very well. It was a direct bus for the reasonable price of 26 euros. I remember that I checked the train connection as well but found the bus alternative both cheaper and faster. At that time there was a lot of travellers and I remember that I got the last bus ticket. So it might be wise to book your seat in advance or buy your ticket as soon as you get to Santiago just to make sure that you'll get to Porto in time for your flight back home.
Freddie

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back