• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto Start Options

happyhippie13

Time of past OR future Camino
Burgos ---> Santiago (2016)
Porto ---> Santiago (2018)
Hey all-
I’m starting my Camino out of Porto on the 6th of August and was wondering which path was the most scenic/convenient out of Porto. I have heard the way out of Porto is full of industrial area and busy streets and was wondering if there was a way around this. Basically I just need help figuring out where I start the Camino. I think I’m mostly sticking to weaving between the interior and coastal route? (I hear it’s pretty easy). I would like to be by the ocean part of the time.
Also where can I pick up a credencial? I have Brier’s guidebook just still learning how to use it!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We did the coastal route that begins by descending towards the river from the Cathedral and walked to Matosinhos where we stayed a night before pushing on towards Vila Do Conde.

It was an interesting and enjoyable riverside / sea side walk.

These is a Pilgrims Office right near the Se Cathedral. You can get your Credencial there.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
These is a Pilgrims Office right near the Se Cathedral. You can get your Credencial there.

Hi, a slight correction ;). There is no “Pilgrim Office” in Porto. There is a Tourist Office near the Cathedral, but they do not have the credencial. For that you need to go inside the cathedral, and there is a counter on the right, which sells credencials for 2 euros, and they will give you your first stamp :D.
Jill

I think I’m mostly sticking to weaving between the interior and coastal route? (I hear it’s pretty easy).

Hi, you will find that impossible ;). The Interior Route starts in Viseu, a long way from the coast. I guess you mean the Central Route. It’s not that easy to “weave” between the two, as there are only a few access routes between the Coastal and the Central: Vila do Conde to Rates, Caminha to Valenca, and Vigo to Redondela (other than taking a bus of course). You will find all the info in Brierley!
Bom Caminho!
Jill

I took the Metro out to Matosinhos Mercado , walked west, crossed the river bridge and headed down to the beach - there's another Tourist Office there where you can get a sello. Then start a slightly surreal walk along the sea front with holidaymakers on the beach to your left, tourist hotels on your right and you, with your backpack walking between!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hey all-
I’m starting my Camino out of Porto on the 6th of August and was wondering which path was the most scenic/convenient out of Porto. I have heard the way out of Porto is full of industrial area and busy streets and was wondering if there was a way around this. Basically I just need help figuring out where I start the Camino. I think I’m mostly sticking to weaving between the interior and coastal route? (I hear it’s pretty easy). I would like to be by the ocean part of the time.
Also where can I pick up a credencial? I have Brier’s guidebook just still learning how to use it!
CREDENCIAL -
- Catedral - daily, between 9:00 18:00.
- Centro de Estudos Jacobeus - Secretariado: S.A.O.M. Rúa das Virtudes, nº 11 - tel. 222002424
- https://www.gronze.com/etapa/porto/labruge or
- https://juliedawnfox.com/portuguese-way-of-saint-james/

Hey all-

I started from Porto this morning, but cheated and caught the metro to Vila do Pinheiro and walked from there. Am in Vila do Conde tonight. Another pilgrim said he walked from the Cathedral,down the river and along the coast. He said it was a great walk even though signage wasn’t great and he had to back track a few times. Auberges are costing about €7.5 (N.S. Do Rosario de Vilar) or €8 per night. Maybe I just havnt found the cheaper ones. Food from supermarkets is really cheap. Bon Camino

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
We did the coastal route that begins by descending towards the river from the Cathedral and walked to Matosinhos where we stayed a night before pushing on towards Vila Do Conde.

It was an interesting and enjoyable riverside / sea side walk.

There's a confusing warren of narrow stairs and walkways down to the river if you start directly across from the cathedral doors. Consider walking north down the hill to the big intersection with all the tourist kiosks, then taking the Rua de Mouzinho da Silviera down to the river. Once you reach the river just walk down the sidewalk alongside the bank all the way to the oceanfront -- approx 5 km. Then walk along the broad ocean-front boulevard another 4 km or so to Matoshinhos. When you reach the end of the beach, turn inland and go 4 blocks (I think) to the street with the metro tracks (Rua de Brito Capelo). Turn left and follow that street up to the Rio Leça and the drawbridge, for a cumulative total of about 11.5 or 12 km. From the drawbridge the way north up the coast to Vila do Conde is marked with yellow arrows. You can stay in Matoshinhos, Vila Chá, or continue on to Vila do Conde, depending on how far you want to walk that first day. When you reach Vila do Conde, you can choose whether to continue up the coastal route or go inland to join the central route.

Bom Caminho!

If you chose to obtain your credencial ahead of time you can mail a "donation" to APOC 120 State Ave NE #303 Olympia, Washington 98501. I just received mine in about a week's time. Buen Camino !

We basically got off the plane and made our way to the Se Cathedral where we got our credentials at the desk just inside the door. We walked outside and headed to the river and kept right on walking to Matosinhos. We stayed the night before heading to Vila Do Conde. It was here that we cut back in to connect to the central route. It was very well marked and we had no problems. I highly recommend the river and ocean route to get out of Porto. It's beautiful and breezy and you can swim anytime you like. Bom Cominho

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I would recommend walking along the river to Matosinhos as well. Don't take the metro if you do the coastal. I also walked north from Porto on the Central route and I did not find it to be industrial. If you want to have a look at my information on my trips here it is: Many Ways on the Camino Portugués. Buen Camino!

Hey all-

You can get a credential from the cathedral for 2€ and then my suggestion would be to go the river and then head to the ocean. Keep that on your left side and you’ll get to Vila do conde. From there you can decide wether to follow the ocean or the guidebook. It’s an awesome walk, the ocean, sun and a lot of great restaurants. Bom Caminho

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.