• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto to Fatima daytrip?

LindaH82

Time of past OR future Camino
None
Random question: I'm hoping to walk the Camino Portugues in September. I'll be flying into Porto, so I'm thinking of adding a week in Porto after my Camino. Would it be possible to do a daytrip from Porto to Fatima in that week? I found a few organised trips but they're pretty darn expensive. Is there a way to get there by public transport?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Rome2Rio says 2 hours by bus

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Random question: I'm hoping to walk the Camino Portugues in September. I'll be flying into Porto, so I'm thinking of adding a week in Porto after my Camino. Would it be possible to do a daytrip from Porto to Fatima in that week? I found a few organised trips but they're pretty darn expensive. Is there a way to get there by public transport?
I am doing exactly what you are doing and have been researching that myself. I am thinking I may go to Fatima directly from Santiago, there is a bus and it is a long ride (8 hours) but it is a chance to see more of the country. I was thinking of taking a tour from Porto but I don't think there is much time spent at Fatima. It would be quite rushed. I am going to stay in Fatima for 2 nights and take my time and then go back to Porto. I will also be interested to see what others say.

Hmm that's another option, although 8 hours sounds very long! I did find a few tours but they usually combine Fatima with Coimbro, and while that city does sound fun, my main interest is the pilgrimage site. Right now I'm thinking I'll just take a bus; perhaps I'll ask at my hotel in Porto which option they would recommend.... Although a night's stay in Fatima also sounds kinda appealing; apparently there is a candle-lit vigil in the evening and it would be a shame to ruin that by checking my watch every ten minutes so I won't miss the bus!

We flew into Lisbon, caught a bus to Fatima, paid our respects, then caught another bus to Porto--all in the same day. I seem to recall both bus trips being reasonably short. I think that would be an easy day-trip from Porto.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Don’t do an organized tour. They are expensive and mostly take you to shops to sell you trinkets. Go there on your own and explore, it is a wonderful place. Look it up on the internet for ideas. I met the niece of Jacinta when I visited her house.

I fly into Lisbon so I was hoping to bus to Fatima, go to the 7:15pm English Mass, spend the night, bus to Porto the next morning and leave for the coastal route, spiritual variant route the next day. I’m hoping to use a luggage transport from Porto to Santiago. I’d like to bike at least one segment, we will see. Me and my silly plans, I know God has a better itinerary worked out! I’m getting excited!
This is my first Camino but I can hike, I spent last summer working in Yellowstone National park. I’m happy not to be carrying bear spray :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
As @trecile suggested, Rome2Rio.com for a variety with modes of transportation, times and prices. Think about the train from Santiago to Porto w convenient change in Vigo + a short walk to a different station - 4 1/2 hrs total. If time allows, stop overnight in Vigo. It's a beautiful trip, and Vigo is a very nice place!
Lots of options from Porto to Fatima.

Last edited:
I am doing exactly what you are doing and have been researching that myself. I am thinking I may go to Fatima directly from Santiago, there is a bus and it is a long ride (8 hours) but it is a chance to see more of the country. I was thinking of taking a tour from Porto but I don't think there is much time spent at Fatima. It would be quite rushed. I am going to stay in Fatima for 2 nights and take my time and then go back to Porto. I will also be interested to see what others say.
Just walked from Lisbon to Fatima I really think a day in Fatima is plenty.

I think a week in Porto is maybe quite, long, how about cutting it, spending a night in Fatima and a couple of nights in Lisbon, which is an amazing city, then back to Porto if that's where you're flying from.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oh hm, that's another good idea. Honestly I'm not entirely set on Porto, it's just that I have a KLM voucher from a flight that was cancelled last year, so I want to use airports they fly to, like Porto. I could even fly into Porto, do the Camino Portugues starting in Vigo, then go back to Porto for a few days, go to Lisbon, then fly back from there. I'm pretty flexible right now!

Lisbon really is a wonderful old city. It makes me think of a great, old Dame. You can really feel the great wealth and power of Portugal of yesteryear. Today she is just a wonderful place to visit and enjoy the sights and the people.

In 2017, we flew into Lisbon, arriving in the early evening. We then took a bus to Fátima, arriving at around 10:00 pm. We had pre-reserved two nights in a hotel (Avenida de Fatima?), which was approximately a 1-km walk from the bus station and a 5-minute or so walk from the main plaza of the shrine. As I recall, the hotel cost around $US85-90 for the two nights, including breakfast. We had a full day plus another morning in Fátima before taking another bus to Porto -- approximately 2-hr bus ride. We spent two nights in a small hotel/guesthouse near the Cathedral in Porto, which gave us a full day of sightseeing in Porto before beginning our walk to Santiago. We walked down the Duoro River to the shoreline, then up the shoreline to Vila de Conde, then turned inland to Rates and up the central route to Santiago. IMO, an out-and-back in one-day trip to Fátima does not do justice to this holy site. And if I were doing it again, I'd stay at least two full days in Porto before beginning the walk.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hmm that's another option, although 8 hours sounds very long! I did find a few tours but they usually combine Fatima with Coimbro, and while that city does sound fun, my main interest is the pilgrimage site. Right now I'm thinking I'll just take a bus; perhaps I'll ask at my hotel in Porto which option they would recommend.... Although a night's stay in Fatima also sounds kinda appealing; apparently there is a candle-lit vigil in the evening and it would be a shame to ruin that by checking my watch every ten minutes so I won't miss the bus!
I didn't know about that. Good to know, candle-lit vigil would be amazing. That is exactly it, I didn't want to rush Fatima in order to see other sites long the way.

Lower your expectations. Having been to Fatima, I do not know why anyone would spend two days there. Sure, take a few hours, but it really is not worth anything more. Unless you are a collector of religious nicknacks.

Even if you are a person of great faith, it does not take long to visit the shrine and light a few candles. I found it very uninspiring. Depressingly so.

The best thing I saw about Fatima was the crowd of excited young nuns at Lisbon airport.

Porto is gorgeous, Lisbon is gorgeous, Coimbra, Tomar, etc etc etc.

Just walked from Lisbon to Fatima I really think a day in Fatima is plenty.
It will end up being just a day for me as I am taking the bus from Santiago and it gets in to Fatima in time for me to get to the hotel and go to bed. I will have a full day and evening and then leave back to Porto for 4 days before I catch my plane home. I thought 2 days would be too much as well.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Looks like only 2 a day Porto to Fatima, but one is in the early morning.

Lots and lots coming back, so plenty of choices as to how long you spend at Fatima.

(I just picked a random September weekday. Your results may differ :)

(And here's a different site, that seems to list a lot more Porto-Fatima options, but that may be because it's today's date...)

Bom caminho!

Oh hm, that's another good idea. Honestly I'm not entirely set on Porto, it's just that I have a KLM voucher from a flight that was cancelled last year, so I want to use airports they fly to, like Porto. I could even fly into Porto, do the Camino Portugues starting in Vigo, then go back to Porto for a few days, go to Lisbon, then fly back from there. I'm pretty flexible right now!
KLM definitely flies into Lisboa as well.

Lower your expectations. Having been to Fatima, I do not know why anyone would spend two days there. Sure, take a few hours, but it really is not worth anything more. Unless you are a collector of religious nicknacks.
I do actually collect religious nicknacks, haha. I collect rosaries and religious statues - I'm not even Catholic, I just did Religious Studies in university which left me with an enduring interest in pilgrimage sites! I've got rosaries from Rome, Assisi, Siena, Venice, Lourdes, and I'm hoping to add one from Santiago and Fatima!

Right now I'm leaning towards doing Fatima as a daytrip from Porto, then adding a few days in Lisbon after that and flying home from there (since KLM does indeed fly to Lisbon too). Spending a night in Fatima seems like too much trouble and money for what it's worth.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Okay, being both Portuguese AND Catholic (and having a daughter whose middle name is Jacinta, after one of the girls at Fatima), perhaps I am a bit biased 🙄, but I’d like to weigh in on this topic...

You definitely need to stay one night in Fatima if you’d like to experience the site, even if you are not Catholic or religious. A brief bus tour stop in the plaza would be depressing as it’s large, vacant, and just a whole lot of concrete. On your own, you can visit the museum, each separate chapel, walk through the stations of the cross to the original village, and even walk to the town where the children were baptized. It’ll be a good warmup for your pilgrimage and give you a sense of the area beyond the “you got one hour!” tourist blitz at the main site. The evening procession can be quite moving, even for non-believers, as witnessing large-scale expressions of any faith is mesmerizing. Fatima is no Lourdes (now THAT place is definitely a pilgrimage site to experience), but it’s worth 24 hours of your life.

We traveled by cheap bus from Santiago to Porto to Fatima to Lisbon, taking a few days in each place - the reverse route is certainly doable, but bus service is somewhat limited. I’d encourage you to definitely slow your pace (if possible) and be present in each of those cities for at least a night or two in order to see them at all hours, especially since they really do change during the course of the day.

As for the person who said one week in Porto seems like too much? SHAME!!!!!! 😂. I could spend a lifetime there and still be happy.

Oh gosh, I certainly meant no disrespect to Portugal, Fatima or Porto! Great to have info from an insider! :)

Hmmm this does tilt me towards spending one night. Actually, your Santiago - Porto - Fatima - Lisbon trip sounds pretty good. I think I'd like to do it after my Camino, since that'll be in early October, which will mean cooler weather. But you are absolutely right that large-scale expressions of faith are amazing - I've been at the candlelit procession in Lourdes, and also (quite by accident!) was at the.... inauguration? Installation? of Pope Benedict XVI in St Peter's Square, and both were deeply impressive experiences.

And hey, even if I feel like I need more time in Porto, I live in Europe, it's only a few hours' flight away. :)

Hah! No offense, just defending my poor downtrodden Portuguese ancestors (like I said, I’m biased! 😎).

Compared to Lourdes or the Vatican, though, Fatima is NOT nearly that impressive, but it’s amazing what faith has created in 100 years.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Okay, being both Portuguese AND Catholic (and having a daughter whose middle name is Jacinta, after one of the girls at Fatima), perhaps I am a bit biased 🙄, but I’d like to weigh in on this topic...

You definitely need to stay one night in Fatima if you’d like to experience the site, even if you are not Catholic or religious. A brief bus tour stop in the plaza would be depressing as it’s large, vacant, and just a whole lot of concrete. On your own, you can visit the museum, each separate chapel, walk through the stations of the cross to the original village, and even walk to the town where the children were baptized. It’ll be a good warmup for your pilgrimage and give you a sense of the area beyond the “you got one hour!” tourist blitz at the main site. The evening procession can be quite moving, even for non-believers, as witnessing large-scale expressions of any faith is mesmerizing. Fatima is no Lourdes (now THAT place is definitely a pilgrimage site to experience), but it’s worth 24 hours of your life.

We traveled by cheap bus from Santiago to Porto to Fatima to Lisbon, taking a few days in each place - the reverse route is certainly doable, but bus service is somewhat limited. I’d encourage you to definitely slow your pace (if possible) and be present in each of those cities for at least a night or two in order to see them at all hours, especially since they really do change during the course of the day.

As for the person who said one week in Porto seems like too much? SHAME!!!!!! 😂. I could spend a lifetime there and still be happy.
With those credentials, you are definitely the resident expert. ;)

Thanks for that. I am now very comfortable with my decision. I don't want to short change my experience of the place. Definitely want to be there for the evening procession.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I thought Portugal was glorious! Can not wait to go back. Only that Fatima did not inspire me at all.

Hah! No offense, just defending my poor downtrodden Portuguese ancestors (like I said, I’m biased! 😎).

Compared to Lourdes or the Vatican, though, Fatima is NOT nearly that impressive, but it’s amazing what faith has created in 100 years.
Ha, fair enough! I'm from the Netherlands, I kinda get the same way when people are like "I just need to see Amsterdam, right?" No! There's so much more to see!

Yeah, from what I've seen it's much smaller, and of course much 'younger' than Lourdes, but I figure since I'll be near it anyway, it'll be a shame *not* to visit. :) So thanks for the tip!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Taking a bus from Porto is what sounds best to me. Ask at your albergue in Porto. You might also check the Religious/church calendar. When there are special saints days it can be very crowded.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back