• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto to Santiago, 7 day plan

edumad

Time of past OR future Camino
Português '12 '14 (Rates), '18 (Ponte de Lima)
Interior '15 (Vila Real)
Francês '16 (Ponferrada).
Although I'm in shape, a round one :lol: , I've done several walks 25 - 35 km in trails with 800 - 1000 m ascent.
So I'm not stranger to a bit of walking, still, am I pushing to far with a 7-day plan for walking Porto to Santiago de Compostela?
My plan is:
Porto to Rates ~45km (longer because I'll go along the coast up to the airport)
Rates to Tamel ~24km
Tamel to Rubiaes ~39km
Rubiaes to Mos ~38km
Mos to Pontevedra ~26km
Pontevedra to Padron ~39km
Padron to Santiado ~22km

My reasoning is to do the less hilly beggining in a big stretch, with an easier day to follow.
The hilliest part after Ponte de Lima follows, with a long but easier day after that.
Another to take it easier, followed by another long day.
To end, the shortest day to reach Santiago.

I intend to be keep weight to the minimum in my 30L pack, which unfortunately weighs already 1,2kg empty.

Anyway, am I kidding myself with the big km days. Should I go for increasing distance instead?

Hoping for some advice.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi edumad,
I can't tell you whether you are kidding yourself, I can only tell you that I don't think I could do those distances.

Having said that, though, I have been walking caminos for 13 years, usually staying in the 25-29 km range daily. This year I walked the Levante and met two other peregrinos, the only two I had seen on the first four days, and we hit it off and I wanted to walk with them. Their average daily kms were higher than my normal, and though I would have said beforehand that I couldn't do day after day of 35-39 kms, I did it and didn't suffer at all. I can only guess that like Dorothy in Oz, I always had the power and ability to do it, I just didn't know it (and this isn't even factoring in the 13 years of aging that has undoubtedly reduced my endurance levels). So, if you think you can, give it a try, just be sure to listen to your body if your body disagrees with your assessment. :D

Buen camino, Laurie

edumad, this year I've done this:

Day 1: Póvoa do Varzim > Barcelos (+- 25km)
Day 2: Barcelos > Ponte de Lima (+- 32km)
Day 3: Ponte de Lima > Valença (+-38km)
Day 4: Valença > O Porriño (+-20km)
Day 5: O Porriño > Pontevedra (+- 37km)
Day 6: Pontevedra > Caldas de Reis (+- 23km)
Day 7: Caldas de Reis > Padrón (+- 18km)
Day 8: Padrón > Santiago de Compostela (+- 22km)

For a first timer, I have to admit that it was very difficult, not only for the distances, but because when me and my friends stopped, we stopped over 30 minutes to one hour, so the muscles went cold and to put the pace again in the same rhythm was hard.

I think that the worst stretch for you will be from Rubiães to Mós.

I know that, you have already done the Caminho, but I think you shouldn’t push it up. Ok, what I did was very similar, but I suffered with it, and next year I'll do things very differently. How many kg's are you taking on your backpack?

Best Regards
Diogo

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
It depends what you want from the camino. Do you want time to reflect, time to photograph the wild life, time to relax in a bar without having to think "I must do another 20 kms today ....", time to chat with other peregrinos, time to look in some of the ancient churches?
When I was on the Porto to SdC camino I was passed by a guy pushing ahead with two walking poles. "Hi!" I said. "Hi!" he replied. "Can't stop. Doing 40 kms every day...." and he disappeared along the trail.
That's not my type of camino - but it's each to his own!
Good luck .... buen camino!

Walk, whether its 4 or 40 km it's your camino, I don't want to know Buen camino

The one thing that might affect your plans is the amount of hard surface walking (asphalt etc), on paper it looks like a straight forward walk with not much to challenge you in terms of ascents and so on but the constant pounding your feet will get might tell after 3/4 days. Running shoes or mids with well cushioned soles may be best for this camino.

Mike

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There is nothing wrong with the "My God, I have to be done with this pilgrimage" pilgrimage. I have felt that way too many days to deny its authenticity. :wink:

My concern is that I have never done consecutive days walking large distances. I hope I don't get nasty surprises physically.

I'm planning 7 days because of my time constraints for holidays. Which since my original post have now been reduce effectively by 4 days. If I had the time I'd do it in 9-10 days.
My pack I'm hoping to keep under 8kg (I weigh 104kg). This is only a rough estimate though, but I promised myself to be brutal on removing any items if it passes 9kg. This would be with 1.5l of water and some snacks.

I really like photography and whenever I'm on the hill several quick pauses for a snap is great to recharge. I want to do this and share the experiences of other pilgrims.

I'm thinking that won't miss out too much on this, but of course I won't have time to explore the places I'm walking through as well as if I had more time.

I followed this thread for a couple of days but do not understand why you placed this message.
I see as you mentioned that you walked before in 2012 from São Pedro de Rates so you know what you can expect.
I wish you succes and hope you'll reach your goal.
Bom caminho

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have not walked it before. I cycled from Rates, ~50km per day.
The route I'm planning, I know it well from the Cathedral in Porto to the Ponte de Lima. I've cycled or driven 90% of that trail.
What I don't know is if walking so much day after day is doable, since I haven't walked anything like this.

For the past few months I half-run/half-walk ~7km or cycle 20km every other day. Usually a mix of road and rocky trail. I feel decently fit, although I am still over-weight.

I've tested my backpack with 7kg on a 12km hilly walk, in 2h30. I felt ok, the pack was not hurting, by the end my hips hurt a bit, but not my knees.

So, again, I feel prepared for the distances, just not sure about the successive long distances.
What I am hearing is people not advising it, but no real red flags.

Well edumad, cycling it's very different from walking it. About your hips, does your backpack have a strap for your hips? That’s very important. And make sure you distribute the weight very well, with the heaviest things on the bottom part.

I had the same problem that you have, the time was to tight, that's why we have done it in 8 days, but next year, since I'm going alone, I'm going to do the things differently.

If you think that you are capable of doing it, then, go for it.

Best Regards
Diogo

Last edited:
In my first response to your question, I tried to make the point that this is such an individual question that the only one who can answer it is you, after you've tried it! If you don't push your body beyond its reasonable limits, the worst that can happen is that you have to take a bus at some point along the route to make it in the 7 day plan.

I also want to say that there are many people who walk 35-40 kms a day and take time to "smell the roses". That just depends on your departure time and your walking pace.

Mike's point about the asphalt is a good one. It is amazing how much suffering long stretches of asphalt can impose on the feet, no matter what kind of shape you are in. Search out the non-asphalt side of the road wherever you can, you can usually find some little dirt path there.

Buen camino and good luck with your plans, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It seems to me that you are the only one who can answer your question. Many people have done what you are proposing. As Laurie mentions, if it doesn't work out, just take a bus to make up the time. Only you know the personal goals you have set for yourself, what would be a failure to you and what you are physically and mentally capable of.

Thanks for the comments. The real failure would be not enjoying the camino, not taking in a bit of what makes it a great experience: talking to the people, the pilgrims, appreciating the scenery, and the great simplicity of life those few days provides. The pain and effort, will be taken on gladly for those rewards.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just a thought. Why don't you start this Camino somewhere in Portugal north of Porto . . . say . . . Barcelos or Ponte de Lima, and enjoy your 7 days instead of trying to rush through every day just to make 40 km?

Again, just a thought. It's your Camino. I do wish you the best of luck on whatever you decide to do.

Bom Cominho.

DurhamParish said:
Just a thought. Why don't you start this Camino somewhere in Portugal north of Porto . . . say . . . Barcelos or Ponte de Lima, and enjoy your 7 days instead of trying to rush through every day just to make 40 km?

Again, just a thought. It's your Camino. I do wish you the best of luck on whatever you decide to do.

Bom Cominho.

It's exactly this that I'll do next year. I'll start from Ponte de Lima.

Best Regards
DIogo

I will be staring Portuguese way, from Portho on 30 of August 2013, is there any news on the hostels or places to stay the night ( since is my first time, I do not know how late I should arrive or how to identified them, do they have a shell logo ? in their doors ?
a advise from recent Portuguese pilgrim will be appreciated. BUEN CAMINO ! Tex-Mex pilgrim.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Last edited:
Although I'm in shape, a round one :lol: , I've done several walks 25 - 35 km in trails with 800 - 1000 m ascent.
So I'm not stranger to a bit of walking, still, am I pushing to far with a 7-day plan for walking Porto to Santiago de Compostela?
My plan is:
Porto to Rates ~45km (longer because I'll go along the coast up to the airport)
Rates to Tamel ~24km
Tamel to Rubiaes ~39km
Rubiaes to Mos ~38km
Mos to Pontevedra ~26km
Pontevedra to Padron ~39km
Padron to Santiado ~22km

My reasoning is to do the less hilly beggining in a big stretch, with an easier day to follow.
The hilliest part after Ponte de Lima follows, with a long but easier day after that.
Another to take it easier, followed by another long day.
To end, the shortest day to reach Santiago.

I intend to be keep weight to the minimum in my 30L pack, which unfortunately weighs already 1,2kg empty.

Anyway, am I kidding myself with the big km days. Should I go for increasing distance instead?

Hoping for some advice.
Reading that proposed itinerary makes my feet hurt! 10 days would be better I think. There are a few uphill and downhill days that are not only tiring but also slow your forward progress to a crawl. Plus you might consider taking afternoons to see the various towns you stay in...many are quite charming.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It is a pity @edumad did not react after finishing his CP , having read his caminho was in 2013 (or maybe on his way or starts next week ? ) that he made it in 7 days.
I like to read his experiences !

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back