• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto to Santiago April 2019 observations

tjb1013

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2017)
Portugués (2019)
My partner and I completed the Camino Portugues in April 2019. Some observations:

We started out from Porto with two short days along the coast, then crossed over to the central at Vila do Conde.

General:

* The Portuguese in April had far fewer pilgrims than the Camino Frances at peak (my other experience). This was good and bad, in my opinion: The 'bad' was that there were fewer of the pilgrim-to-pilgrim interchanges that are the best part of the Camino (IMO). The 'good' was that it was less like a Pilgrim Highway and there seemed to be more opportunities for authentic interchanges with local people not in the Camino service industry.

* The coastal portion from Porto to Vila do Conde was gorgeous, but not at all Camino-like. We live on the ocean in the US, so it was a pretty easy choice to go inland. The route across to São Pedro de Rates was picturesque, but on narrow roadways and the Portuguese drivers there won the award for least likely to be concerned about the centimeters between their cars and waddling pilgrims.

Specific:

Great places to stay:

* Albergue De Peregrinos Casa Da Fernanda in Vitorino dos Piães, Portugal. What the Camino is all about. Very fortunate that Fernanda made room for us that night.
* Albergue Quinta do Caminho in Pedreira, Portugal. We stayed in a private room, but the bunkhouse looked great, too. Inexpensively luxurious ($40 USD or so).

Fine places to stay:

* Casa Velha in Aldeia Nova, Portugal. Unassuming! Clean, quiet, great hospitality.
* Santa Clara Municipal, Vila do Conde. A beautiful muni. There was a great market in the adjoining square on the Friday we were there, so we cooked in the kitchen.
* Albergue de Peregrinos São Pedro de Rates, Portugal. Clean, well-run by an association (Free Masons, I think), older facility. A couple of nearby restaurants are good.
* O Refuxio de la Jerezana, Redondela, Spain. Very nice, municipal-like facility owned privately. Very nice showers outside the building (including one with disabled access), like-new clean. Serves dinner on a terrace.
* Habitaciones Casa Alicia, Pontevedre, Spain. Old-school hostel, very clean, shared shower and bath. Pontevedre was the surprise of the trip - a great little city.
* Hotel Payro, Milladoiro, Spain. Superb value, sparkling clean, run by a family that cares about its business. A nice place to stay after an especially long walking day before Santiago.

Places I wouldn't stay again:

* Hotel Parque, O Porriño, Spain. Shabby and somewhat inhospitable. If in O Porriño again, I'd try Malosera hosteleria just down the street. We had a great cafe breakfast there, and it looked like it would have been a great place to stay.

Really good coffee in unexpected spot:

* Cafe Cunha Nunes, Codeçal, Portugal.

Weather

Forecast was steady rain for most of the time in Portugal, but it turned out to be intermittent light showers. Never put the poncho on, but the rain jacket was on most of the way. Stopped for breakfast and laundry for the worst of it one day, and that was enough time to avoid it. (Fernanda's husband, Jacinto, had promised short showers followed by fine weather, and that's the way it tuned out.)

I didn't bring a sleeping bag, but my partner took my lightweight one with her. Good choice! I don't get cold often, but it was very, very cold in São Pedro de Rates and the Hotel Parque.

I wore Hoka One One Tor Ultra Hi WP boots, but was blistered pretty badly again, which I am now attributing to the heat generated within the waterproof liner on long days. If I do another Camino, I'm going to go with a non-waterproof shoe like the Hoka Speedgoat 3 trail runner or the Atra Lone Peak 4 mid mesh. I ended up walking in my Keen Newport sandals for the last half of the walk, and past the big uphill crossing north of Bandeira, that worked out OK.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks, these observations are always helpful.

My partner and I completed the Camino Portugues in April 2019. Some observations:

We started out from Porto with two short days along the coast, then crossed over to the central at Vila do Conde.

General:

* The Portuguese in April had far fewer pilgrims than the Camino Frances at peak (my other experience). This was good and bad, in my opinion: The 'bad' was that there were fewer of the pilgrim-to-pilgrim interchanges that are the best part of the Camino (IMO). The 'good' was that it was less like a Pilgrim Highway and there seemed to be more opportunities for authentic interchanges with local people not in the Camino service industry.

* The coastal portion from Porto to Vila do Conde was gorgeous, but not at all Camino-like. We live on the ocean in the US, so it was a pretty easy choice to go inland. The route across to São Pedro de Rates was picturesque, but on narrow roadways and the Portuguese drivers there won the award for least likely to be concerned about the centimeters between their cars and waddling pilgrims.

Specific:

Great places to stay:

* Albergue De Peregrinos Casa Da Fernanda in Vitorino dos Piães, Portugal. What the Camino is all about. Very fortunate that Fernanda made room for us that night.
* Albergue Quinta do Caminho in Pedreira, Portugal. We stayed in a private room, but the bunkhouse looked great, too. Inexpensively luxurious ($40 USD or so).

Fine places to stay:

* Casa Velha in Aldeia Nova, Portugal. Unassuming! Clean, quiet, great hospitality.
* Santa Clara Municipal, Vila do Conde. A beautiful muni. There was a great market in the adjoining square on the Friday we were there, so we cooked in the kitchen.
* Albergue de Peregrinos São Pedro de Rates, Portugal. Clean, well-run by an association (Free Masons, I think), older facility. A couple of nearby restaurants are good.
* O Refuxio de la Jerezana, Redondela, Spain. Very nice, municipal-like facility owned privately. Very nice showers outside the building (including one with disabled access), like-new clean. Serves dinner on a terrace.
* Habitaciones Casa Alicia, Pontevedre, Spain. Old-school hostel, very clean, shared shower and bath. Pontevedre was the surprise of the trip - a great little city.
* Hotel Payro, Milladoiro, Spain. Superb value, sparkling clean, run by a family that cares about its business. A nice place to stay after an especially long walking day before Santiago.

* Hotel Parque, O Porriño, Spain. Shabby and somewhat inhospitable. If in O Porriño again, I'd try Malosera hosteleria just down the street. We had a great cafe breakfast there, and it looked like it would have been a great place to stay.

Weather

Forecast was steady rain for most of the time in Portugal, but it turned out to be intermittent light showers. Never put the poncho on, but the rain jacket was on most of the way. Stopped for breakfast and laundry for the worst of it one day, and that was enough time to avoid it. (Fernanda's husband, Jacinto, had promised short showers followed by fine weather, and that's the way it tuned out.)

I didn't bring a sleeping bag, but my partner took my lightweight one with her. Good choice! I don't get cold often, but it was very, very cold in São Pedro de Rates and the Hotel Parque.

I wore Hoka One One Tor Ultra Hi WP boots, but was blistered pretty badly again, which I am now attributing to the heat generated within there waterproof liner on long days. If I do another Camino, I'm going to go with a non-waterproof shoe like the Hoka Speedgoat 3 trail runner or the Atra Lone Peak 4 mid mesh. I ended up walking in my Keen Newport sandals for the last half of the walk, and past the big uphill crossing north of Bandeira, that worked out OK.
Great specifics shared along your way. Thanks for your impressions! Approaching a place for the night, with a solid recommendation, is reassuring.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

General:

Specific:

Great places to stay:

Fine places to stay:

Weather

I wore Hoka One One Tor Ultra Hi WP boots, but was blistered pretty badly again, which I am now attributing to the heat generated within there waterproof liner on long days. If I do another Camino, I'm going to go with a non-waterproof shoe like the Hoka Speedgoat 3 trail runner or the Atra Lone Peak 4 mid mesh. I ended up walking in my Keen Newport sandals for the last half of the walk, and past the big uphill crossing north of Bandeira, that worked out OK.
I am walking the Porto right now. Will be arriving in Vigo tomorrow. My experience is that the "official Camino" is not thoughtfully arranged. It takes you off the beautiful quiet trails by the sea. I relied on my own instinct and the map to create my own Camino. For example this beautiful route is not on official Camino.

Attachments

• 20190525_100830.jpg
    20190525_100830.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 66

General:

Specific:

Great places to stay:

Fine places to stay:

Weather

This is great info, which I will definitely use when walking the Porto to SdC in August.

I am walking the Porto right now. Will be arriving in Vigo tomorrow. My experience is that the "official Camino" is not thoughtfully arranged. It takes you off the beautiful quiet trails by the sea. I relied on my own instinct and the map to create my own Camino. For example this beautiful route is not on official Camino.
Which map did you use ?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is great info, which I will definitely use when walking the Porto to SdC in August.
It is going to be very hot here in August. It is already very hot. Please consider getting a hiking umbrella. It weighs only half pound but keeps you about 10 degrees cooler. Good for rain and sun both. You can stick it into the hiking pole slot in the front of your backpack and tie it with couple of hooks, etc you can use it hand free. Also great sun protection.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It is going to be very hot here in August. It is already very hot. Please consider getting a hiking umbrella. It weighs only half pound but keeps you about 10 degrees cooler. Good for rain and sun both. You can stick it into the hiking pole slot in the front of your backpack and tie it with couple of hooks, etc you can use it hand free. Also great sun protection.
Any suggestions of brands?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

General:

Specific:

Great places to stay:

Fine places to stay:

Weather

I wore Hoka One One Tor Ultra Hi WP boots, but was blistered pretty badly again, which I am now attributing to the heat generated within the waterproof liner on long days. If I do another Camino, I'm going to go with a non-waterproof shoe like the Hoka Speedgoat 3 trail runner or the Atra Lone Peak 4 mid mesh. I ended up walking in my Keen Newport sandals for the last half of the walk, and past the big uphill crossing north of Bandeira, that worked out OK.

Thanks, good insight, planning a 2020 Portugues in May 🙏

General:

Specific:

Great places to stay:

Fine places to stay:

Weather

Thank you tjb1013, very useful, I made notes for our walk in August. Again very informative, thank you.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back