• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto to Santiago coastal route by bicycle with camping

Anthony Coyne

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugal Coastal (2018)
I am planning to cycle from Porto to Santiago in May 2022 on the coastal route. I am interested in hearing other peoples experience of campsites along the route. I would like to choose this camping option instead of staying in hotels if at all possible. My camping equipment would be limited to a small tent and a light sleeping bag, so there isn't much concern on my part about weight.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
How many nights were you thinking of camping?

Porto to the ferry at Caminha is just over 100km. You'll either be going slow, or you won't be doing much camping.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Going to limit my cycling to approx 50km per day
I did the reverse of this trip in 2019. By bike but didnt camp and at 50klms per day approx took 5 days i think from santiago to porto. Slept in Albergues. Last 20 klms got metro back into Porto as traffic bad and was going down with a flu. From Tui the coastal road was beautiful. Bon camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you. We are travelling 11th May to 18th May so I am hoping it is quiet... and no rain :)
Be carefull for joggng groups and mountainbikers on the boardwalks.
the boardwalks are not wide. All of them want their space as you want too.

if you have walkingpoles with rubber tips, take the tips of. You can lose them in the gaps between two planks as it happens to us once. Fortunately could find the tip back one meter underneath the boardwalk in the sand but not always there is spaceto get underneath.

Be carefull for joggng groups and mountainbikers on the boardwalks.
the boardwalks are not wide. All of them want their space as you want too.

if you have walkingpoles with rubber tips, take the tips of. You can lose them in the gaps between two planks as it happens to us once. Fortunately could find the tip back one meter underneath the boardwalk in the sand but not always there is spaceto get underneath.
Thank you. Where does the boardwalk end on the Coastal/Litoral Camino route?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Is cycling on the boardwalk permitted?

It wasn't when I was there last October. Or it could be that certain sections weren't but look out for the roundels as they will convey any restriction.

Road has some cycling sections on it which is better for "rear comfort" unless you have a seat post or full suspension.

Thank you. Where does the boardwalk end on the Coastal/Litoral Camino route?
It ends about some kms before Vila do Conde.

if it is permitted to bike on the boardwalks I do not know but Portuguese do. And do not confuse them because they get nasty was my experience . Most bikers and jogging groups you will encounter during the weekends

I am planning to cycle from Porto to Santiago in May 2022 on the coastal route. I am interested in hearing other peoples experience of campsites along the route. I would like to choose this camping option instead of staying in hotels if at all possible. My camping equipment would be limited to a small tent and a light sleeping bag, so there isn't much concern on my part about weight.
If there are campsites open use them, if not then wild camp. Last September some campsites were closed some were open, take your pick. May in N Portugal could be early season, possibly few people camping so few campsites open...... otherwise use albuergues / hostals / hotels then all options are covered - QED.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
If there are campsites open use them, if not then wild camp. Last September some campsites were closed some were open, take your pick. May in N Portugal could be early season, possibly few people camping so few campsites open...... otherwise use albuergues / hostals / hotels then all options are covered - QED.
Thanks for your reply....We've decided to opt for B&B/small hotels.

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back