• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto to Santiago Coastal Route Stages

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Coastal Route (2019)
Francais (2022)
We are planning to travel from Porto to Santiago along the Coastal Route. We have been looking for different stopping points each night. I have been looking at Stages different people have taken and I was hoping to get some recommendations. If we want to complete the Camino Portuguese from Porto (starting at Matosinhos) to Santiago in 12 days along the Coastal Route which towns would be good to stop at each night?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We are planning to travel from Porto to Santiago along the Coastal Route. We have been looking for different stopping points each night. I have been looking at Stages different people have taken and I was hoping to get some recommendations. If we want to complete the Camino Portuguese from Porto (starting at Matosinhos) to Santiago in 12 days along the Coastal Route which towns would be good to stop at each night?
These were our stops last September starting at Matosinhos : Vila do Conde =26 kms, Esposonde = 26kms, Amaroso = 20 kms, Viana do Costelo = ?, Vila Praia de Ancora = ? , A Guarda = 14.5 kms, Villadesusa = 18kms, Ramalossa = 22kms, Vigo = 16kms, Redondella = 15kms, Pontevedra 20kms , Caldas de Reis 26kms, Padron 25kms, Santiago. 13 days walking. Sorry I didn’t get a few.

I walked this route including the spiritual variant in 13 days. That said we started in povoa de varzim. In my opinion the walk from Porto is all industrial and really not worth it Villa do conde is where a huge shopping center is. U can take the train from the airport in Porto to povoa de varzim. There is an alburgue there. We stayed in a hotel near the beach for 40$. The walk from here is beach and boardwalks. If u download trailsmart it will provide u with routes and accommodations.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked this route including the spiritual variant in 13 days. That said we started in povoa de varzim. In my opinion the walk from Porto is all industrial and really not worth it Villa do conde is where a huge shopping center is. U can take the train from the airport in Porto to povoa de varzim. There is an alburgue there. We stayed in a hotel near the beach for 40$. The walk from here is beach and boardwalks. If u download trailsmart it will provide u with routes and accommodations.

I thought the walk from Porto following the coast was quite pleasant, certainly much nicer than leaving Porto along the interior route.

The walk out of Porto on the first day is beautiful. A short walk through the city down to and following the river to Perefita. Loved that first day. I walked the coastal to Pontrevedra, detoured to walk the Variante Espiritual and then the final day from Padron to Santiago. I actually had some short stages in between some of these listed below because I like to wander and wanted to explore some places in between. I've taken those out to tighten up the possible stages. I realize this doesn't fit within your 12 day plan but might give a sense of distances and accommodation options in those places. Happy planning!

Camino Portuguese Coastal

Stage 1: Porto to Perafita. 18 km (Pension Casa Velha)
Stage 2: Perefita to Vila do Conde. 16km (Bellamar Hostel)
Stage 3: Vila do Conde to Marinhas. 25 km (Albergue de Peregrinos S. Miguel)
Stage 4: Marinhas to Viana de Castilo. 22 km (Apartmento Privado)
Stage 5: Viana de Castilo to Vila Praia de Ancora. 17 km (Apartmento Turistico)
Stage 6: Vila Praia de Ancora to Caminha. 12 km. (Hostel Casas dal Calcada)
Stage 7: Caminha to A Guarda by Ferry then to Oia 17km (Hotel)
Stage 8: Oia to Baiona. 18 km (Mosquito Hostel)
Stage 9: Baiona to Vigo. 20 km (Hotel Ogalia)
Stage 10: Vigo to Redondela. 18 km (Albergue de Camino)
Stage 11: Redondela to Pontrevedra. 18 km (Albergue Aloxa)

Variant Espirtual
Stage 12: Pontrevedra to Armenteira. 21 km (Albergue de Peregrinos)
Stage 13: Armenteira to Vilanova de Arousa. 23 km (Albergue de Peregrinos)
Stage 14: Vilanova de Arousa to Padron. 28 km (Hostel Flavia)

Camino Portuguese Central Way
Stage 15: Padron to Santiago. 25 km. (Pension Anosa Casa)

I had not heard of the app Trailsmart. I will download it. We are planning to start from Matosinhos. We spend the first night in Porto and will take public transit out that far. Thanks for the advice.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The walk out of Porto on the first day is beautiful. A short walk through the city down to and following the river to Perefita. Loved that first day. I walked the coastal to Pontrevedra, detoured to walk the Variante Espiritual and then the final day from Padron to Santiago. I actually had some short stages in between some of these listed below because I like to wander and wanted to explore some places in between. I've taken those out to tighten up the possible stages. I realize this doesn't fit within your 12 day plan but might give a sense of distances and accommodation options in those places. Happy planning!

Camino Portuguese Coastal

Stage 1: Porto to Perafita. 18 km (Pension Casa Velha)
Stage 2: Perefita to Vila do Conde. 16km (Bellamar Hostel)
Stage 3: Vila do Conde to Marinhas. 25 km (Albergue de Peregrinos S. Miguel)
Stage 4: Marinhas to Viana de Castilo. 22 km (Apartmento Privado)
Stage 5: Viana de Castilo to Vila Praia de Ancora. 17 km (Apartmento Turistico)
Stage 6: Vila Praia de Ancora to Caminha. 12 km. (Hostel Casas dal Calcada)
Stage 7: Caminha to A Guarda by Ferry then to Oia 17km (Hotel)
Stage 8: Oia to Baiona. 18 km (Mosquito Hostel)
Stage 9: Baiona to Vigo. 20 km (Hotel Ogalia)
Stage 10: Vigo to Redondela. 18 km (Albergue de Camino)
Stage 11: Redondela to Pontrevedra. 18 km (Albergue Aloxa)

Variant Espirtual
Stage 12: Pontrevedra to Armenteira. 21 km (Albergue de Peregrinos)
Stage 13: Armenteira to Vilanova de Arousa. 23 km (Albergue de Peregrinos)
Stage 14: Vilanova de Arousa to Padron. 28 km (Hostel Flavia)

Camino Portuguese Central Way
Stage 15: Padron to Santiago. 25 km. (Pension Anosa Casa)
Thank you. This is very helpful for my research. I will check this out as well as the places you mention. We have booked the fist two nights in Vila do Conde (Bellamar) and in Esposende (HI Hostel Ofir - Pousada de Juventude). We likely should have tried to go further the second day but the Camino will provide as they say :).

These were our stops last September starting at Matosinhos : Vila do Conde =26 kms, Esposonde = 26kms, Amaroso = 20 kms, Viana do Costelo = ?, Vila Praia de Ancora = ? , A Guarda = 14.5 kms, Villadesusa = 18kms, Ramalossa = 22kms, Vigo = 16kms, Redondella = 15kms, Pontevedra 20kms , Caldas de Reis 26kms, Padron 25kms, Santiago. 13 days walking. Sorry I didn’t get a few.
Thank you very much for the info. This is helpful.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We walked up to Caminha then over to Valenca and up to Redondela. It is a great walk and well marked now. Avoids industrial Vigo. Took the Variante just after Pontevedra.

Km

Here are my stages, if you want to take a look. We did the Senda Litoral from Porto to Matosinhos, along the River and found it quite lovely. We did it easily in 11 days, but 12 would be good too. In my website, the coastal route starts on day fifteen of the Camino Portugues. Enjoy your walk!
Very helpful. You've convinced us to walk the Litoral instead of taking the metro!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Avoids industrial Vigo.

Hi, there is nothing industrial about the route through Vigo ;). The official waymarked path takes you along the city’s green routes: beside rivers, through woods and parklands, and along designated cycle tracks. You might meet a few dog walkers and joggers, walk under or over a freeway occasionally, and have to walk past a bar or two in the suburban areas, but that’s all :D.

Here are my stages, if you want to take a look. We did the Senda Litoral from Porto to Matosinhos, along the River and found it quite lovely. We did it easily in 11 days, but 12 would be good too. In my website, the coastal route starts on day fifteen of the Camino Portugues. Enjoy your walk!
This is awesome. We love the blog although we have only read one day so far. Very helpful. Thanks so much.

We spend the first night in Porto and will take public transit out that far. Thanks for the advice.[/QUOTE

Worth the walk to Matosinhos , especially if you intend to go coastal....its gives you the feel , believe me

We walked up to Caminha then over to Valenca
Not likely [ over to A'Guarda maybe ] and the walk into and out of Vigo is whats its all about.

[QUOTE="boski, post: 693142, member: 54503" ]the walk from Porto is all industrial and really not worth it
Maybe JB's interior route but not along the river to Matosinhos where you dine out , lunch and dinner

A ' Guarda is a great place to stay after the ferry

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Our stages last fall 12 days walking
Porto. Metro to Matosinhos, to give an extra day in Porto
Vile do Conde
Esposende
Viana
Caminha
Oia (our favourite, we hit a festival there)
Baiona
Vigo
Redondela
Pontevedra
Caldas de Rei
Padron
Santiago

A wonderful Camino! Not many pilgrim until Redondela, but well marked and enough infrastructure. Baggage service is available if you need.

Our stages last fall 12 days walking
Porto. Metro to Matosinhos, to give an extra day in Porto
Vile do Conde
Esposende
Viana
Caminha
Oia (our favourite, we hit a festival there)
Baiona
Vigo
Redondela
Pontevedra
Caldas de Rei
Padron
Santiago

A wonderful Camino! Not many pilgrim until Redondela, but well marked and enough infrastructure. Baggage service is available if you need.
I'am leaving in Sept 2021 for my first trip. These stages looks like a good plan for me. I already had these places on my list but had a question mark beside Oia. But now I think I will stop there also.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.