• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto to Santiago - December 2013 / January 2014

HermanTheGerman

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances '13, '14; Portuguese '13, '14, '17, '18; del Salvador '15; Primitivo '15; Mozarabe '16
Hi fellow Pilgrims,

I'm planning to begin in Porto on 26.12.2013 and will hopefully be in Santiago on 06.01.2014 and see the Botafumerio swing. As this is my first winter camino, I was wondering if anyone could offer some useful tips?

I'm not expecting snow although will be prepared for temperatures between 5 and 14° C. Is this realistic? According to Wundergrund.com this should be about right.

Will be taking rain gear, like always. Light Salamon X ULTRA GTX Mids which I just wore across the Meseta 2 weeks ago (very comfortable). Brierly guide in hand and also GPS. Thin merino wool gloves. Pack weight is around 8.3kg incl. 1 litre water.

I hear the Way from Porto to Santiago is well marked. I've read that on some Caminos the Albergues close during this period. Is this also a problem on the Portuguese?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

The German

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi fellow Pilgrims,

I'm planning to begin in Porto on 26.12.2013 and will hopefully be in Santiago on 06.01.2014 and see the Botafumerio swing. As this is my first winter camino, I was wondering if anyone could offer some useful tips?

I'm not expecting snow although will be prepared for temperatures between 5 and 14° C. Is this realistic? According to Wundergrund.com this should be about right.

Will be taking rain gear, like always. Light Salamon X ULTRA GTX Mids which I just wore across the Meseta 2 weeks ago (very comfortable). Brierly guide in hand and also GPS. Thin merino wool gloves. Pack weight is around 8.3kg incl. 1 litre water.

I hear the Way from Porto to Santiago is well marked. I've read that on some Caminos the Albergues close during this period. Is this also a problem on the Portuguese?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

The German

Hi there @HermanTheGerman! Glad to see that you choosed the portuguese way. About your questions...

I do not think that you will catch snow, but it could happen, specialy near the portuguese/spanish border. Those temperatures could be a little bit high for that time of the year, so you can probably catch more cold than that, but from what you say that you'll carry, I think you will be very well protected. Just don't forget to take a raincoat or something, because when it rains in that region, it really rains. It's like if all the water gates in heaven opened over you!

I think that the weight it's okay (I took a backpack with 7,8kg, 2L of water and food included). The way it's very well maked, and if you have a good GPS you can go to a website called wikiloc.com and download has a security measure the track that goes from Porto to Santiago.

About the Albergues, I'm not sure, but I know that at least the one from Ponte de Lima it's open 365 days per year! You can go to vialusitana.org, and check the list of the Albergues. You can contact them, and I'm sure that they will tell you what you need to know.

Hope you have a wonderful Caminho :)

Best Regards
Diogo

Last edited:
Hey Diogo,

Thanks for the info! I've also been looking for a complete GPS track, so I'll definitely check it out. So far I've only managed to find tracks from Tui heading north and without all the villages the Caminho passes through. I did have problems getting a GPS signal though a few weeks ago when crossing the Meseta, so I hope the reception is better on the Portuges.

Yes, the rain I've heard can be torrential. I do have a rain jacket and rain pants and am even considering taking a special hands-free hike-umbrella which fastens to the backpack and weighs only 200g. I've revised my pack list (like I do every 2 days ;-) ) and now have a weight of 7,814g including the Mary Poppins umbrella.

The Brierly guide has been ordered, but hasn't as yet arrived which I'm sure will have a lot of info in it, and giving the time of year I'm walking The Portuges, I probably won't have to avoid all the major stops like on the Frances.

Bon Caminho,

The German

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don't know what kind of GPS you have, but if it is an old one, I heard that they are not very well sicronized with the new generation of GPS satelites. My best friend has a new Gaermin (don't ask me the model, I can only remember that it is a Gaermin) and it works great.

About the book/guide, yeah, it usually takes sometime. I didn't bought it (yet!), but I'm intending to do it for my next Portuguese Caminho. I'll do things differently from this year. Walking less km per day, enjoying more . We have a saying here in Portugal, that "The turtles know more about the ways, than the rabbits" :D

Best Regards
Diogo

Last edited:
Im using an Android Smartphone with Alpine Quest. So far it has worked well with the exception of the Meseta. I've tried the Garmins but they are far too overpriced and not worth the money in my opinion. I was thinking of upgrading to a new android solution that also supports GLONASS when there's no GPS signal.

Well, it really depends from what you want.

There are ones, that are very good for the price that they have, compared with most of the other companies offers.

And if you think that they are expensive in Germany, imagine people buying them here in Portugal :/

Best Regards
Diogo

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'll be staying with android. The great thing is that the device does everything I need; keeps my flight details, kindle phrase books, digital access to copies of important documents, takes wonderful photos, plays music, has my WordPress blog app, has GPS in the case that I need it and can't follow the arrows, the pilgrim forum app, Albergue reviews and information,as well as the timetables for all busses and trains throughout Europe. I couldn't imagine leaving home without it. It also has email of course, what'sApp and can even be used as a phone in case I feel the need to be connected ;)

Anyway, where can i find the GPS Track in netlog.com? As soon as i can download it, I'll create the contour map with MOBAC and load it onto the device.

Cheers
The German

@HermanTheGerman sorry mate, wrong name. It's wikiloc, not netlog *upsidipsy* my bad :p

You have one very good track in here: http://pt.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=956667

Yeah, a Trekking GPS could be one more thing to add weight. But hey, there are people who like to use it. I rather prefer a good compass and talk to people and have guide books. For me that's enough. I like to keep it simple :)

Best Regards
Diogo

Last edited:
Ok, got it thanks. Works really well and I have everything loaded onto the device.

Cheers,

The German

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back