• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto to Santiago in 10 days?

mjfraz

Hi, I'm planning on walking from Porto in May. Is 10 walking days enough to make it to Santiago? I have 12 days total but would like an extra day or two in Porto before my flight home.
Thanks,
Matt

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is my plan, which like all good plans, is subject to change. I don't like walking on pavements alongside busy roads so am taking the Metro for the first part. If you want to wal;k every km, the you could do: Day 1. Porto to Vilarinho 26 km. Day 2. Vilarinho to Barcelos 27 km. Day 3. Barcelos to Ponte de Lima. Then day 4 to day 10 as below.
Day 1. Metro to Vilar do Pinheiro (saves 15 km of walking through the suburbs of Porto), then walk to Rates - 21 km
Day 2. Rates to Portela - 25 km
Day 3. Portela to Ponte de Lima - 24 km
Day 4. Ponte de Lima to Rubiaes 20 km
Day 5. Rubiaes to Tui - 19 km
Day 6. Tui to Redonela - 31 km
Day 7. Redonela to Pontvedro - 18 km
Day 8. Pontevedro to Caldos de Reis - 23 km
Day 9. Caldos de Reis - Padron - 18 km
Day 10 Padron to Santiago - 25 km
I have not walked this Camino before, but I plan to do so next June
Buen Camino. David

The only diference I´ll do is the Tuy - Redondela day...
I like to walk it in two days,Tuy - Porriño e Porriño - Redondela. Porriño is an interesting towm with very good food :D
Katia

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Last Septemeber I did:

Porto to Vilarinho
Vilarinho to Barcelos
Barcelos to Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima to Rubiaes
Rubiaes to Tui
Tui to Redondela
Redondela to Pontevedra
Pontevedra to Caldas de Reis
Caldas de Reis to Padron
Padron to Santiago

It was my first Camino and my first backpacking trip ever.

Thank you! We are leaving in two months - flying to Porto. We have reservations for two nights in Porto to kind of get over jet lag and get our act together. And then we have no plans but to walk to Santiago. We are so excited and to see what others have done is just so inspiring. We hope to do the walk in about ten days but we do have a little extra time in case we need more. We do know that we are going to take the train/metro out of Porto because we have been there and it is a city and although it is beautiful, we'd like to start the walk beyond the city. We are arriving in Porto April 26 and plan to start on the 28th. Any other information or advice is much appreciated. :arrow:

My brother and I arrive in Porto April 16. Like Jenniandjoe, we have a couple days off, my brother has a conference to attend then we head off to Santiago no plan other than to arrive in Santiago. I will be taking many photos along the way so we expect it will take us 14 days or so to arrive. I like the idea of no plan that way we can make the most of the events that occur along the way rather than worrying about making sure we arrive at a given point at a specific time. We are lucky to have plenty of time to be able to do this. I'm so excited and looking forward to doing this walk. It will be my 50th birthday why we are over there. And this was a gift from my brother.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My friend Heather and I are doing Porto to Santiago in early May. Does anyone havea advice about the coastal route
Paula

I'm going to take first day off in Porto to relax and see the city. Will end up having 12 walking days which should be plenty of time. I will be taking the coastal route the first day out of Porto, Matosinhos - Vila do Conde. From Vila do Conde I will be cutting over and joining the main route.
- Matt

We did the Caminho Portugués (from Barcelos) on May 3, 2012. Check out my page on virtualtourist: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/f081a/c4/
I'll be expanding it with a travelog with more photos soon, and a page on the Spanish portion, but this will give you an idea of what to expect as you start out.
Bom Caminho

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked this route in 8 days in 2010. It wasn't hard, and I didn't have much time, but I when I walk, I walk long. I took loads of photos, walked with many people who were doing this in 10 days, which generally is the norm for this route

You should try made the Portuguese Camino from Lisbon. It's amazing and it's very well marked.
I've made this Camino last year by bicycle in 9 days (680km).

I know by walking you must do it in many more days, but if you've time enough, try it!

You'll enjoy it!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks Thomas, I'm glad you enjoyed. They do make great souveniers, even if they do cost a bit.

I am looking forward to doing another one soon, as we will be visiting France for the first time at the end of April. I am very excited to see this great country. This time we will be traveling in a large group with some of our best friends.

I must say that your blog is one of the finest that I have ever read. I am enjoying it very much. I have been trying to decide whether to try the Camino Frances next or the del Norte. Your blog has made me want to do the Frances.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You are going to do it in May? I'm also doing it in May with my best friend, who had already done the Portuguese Camiño in 2012.

We are departing from near Lisbon by train (we live 30km from there) around 7:30am on the May 3rd, and expect to reach there by 10:30 (if nothing goes wrong).

We will do as you will, taking the Metro until Povoa do Varzim, because of the Industrial Road that exists between the two cities. Then we will go by foot until Barcelos.

I can put in here later our plan (I'm in a computer without the file, sorry), but we are expecting to arrive to Santiago in the May 10th and departure back home, May 12th.

Bon Camiño

Thomas Hugues, your backpack it's a Quechua Forclaz 40? If it is, it's good for these type of walks?

Anyway, as I've promissed before, here it's the route that I and my friend will take. We will departure on May 3rd from Porto and take the Metro to Póvoa do Varzim. We will go through the mainland, and not near the ocean.

Day 1: Póvoa do Varzim > Barcelos (+- 25km)
Day 2: Barcelos > Ponte de Lima (+- 32km)
Day 3: Ponte de Lima > Valença (+-38km)
Day 4: Valença > Mós (+-23km)
Day 5: Mós > Pontevedra (+- 30km)
Day 6: Pontevedra > Caldas de Reis (+- 23km)
Day 7: Caldas de Reis > Padrón (+- 18km)
Day 8: Padrón > Santiago de Compostela (+- 22km)

We will stay two days in Santiago to see the town and to attend to the masse of the pilgrim. As far as you can see, 10 days could be perfect to do it :)

I recommend passing Padron and continuing on to a nice albergue in Teo. It's a long day but it will set you up for a short walk to Santiago the next day. You'll even make noon mass.

I think 10 days is doable.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I agree with Violinpatrick, if you go on to the Teo Albergue you will have a very pleasant walk into Santiago the next morning and easily arrive for the noon Pilgrim mass. We did this route (starting May 3, 2012) but went at a more relaxed pace (both of us 60+ sensible and not in a hurry). We started in Barcelos, and walked to Casa Fernanda our first day. Be forewarned, the stretch from Ponte de Lima to Rubiáes can be difficult especially if it's raining ... the ascent is steep with lots of loose rock so watch your step. Check out our trip @ http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/f081a/c4/ and http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/f081a/b2/
I still have to polish the entries up and add some more photos. I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time. We loved it so much we are planning to go back this September and do the coastal route. Bom Caminho

Many people talk to pass Padron, but are they aware that they will miss this beautifull albergue?

Attachments

• 385680_402371729793205_1892088851_n.jpg
    385680_402371729793205_1892088851_n.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 1,441
I agree that the albergue in Padron is very nice -- old stone building, well equipped, very comfortable. But if I ever walked this part of the Camino Portugues again, I'd make a big effort to take the 2-km detour to stay in the monastery of Herbon.

http://www.acogidacristianaenelcamino.e ... erbon.html

This albergue is in an active monastery and is run by the AGACS (Galician Association of the Friends of the Camino de Santiago). A Spanish Camino friend of mine has been a hospitalera there for several years and she has described it as one of those Granon-like or Tosantos-like places. Communal dinner, very nice ambiente. Turnoff is in Pontecesures.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Matt,

I second Laurie and recommend Herbon. They always say they'd only check you in from 4pm, but if you arrive early, you can ask to leave your backpack and get back to town to explore and wonder around.

Porto is definitely worth the extra day-- it's a great city. The coastal route out of Porto is lovely, and one unexpected stop before going back inland is Vila Chã. It's not an official pilgrims stop and there is no designated hostel. The only place to stay in this charming fishermen village is a little pension. You can get the one room with ocean view that's going to be a little more expensive than a pilgrims hostel, but it's an incredible treat. The day out of Porto along the coast is so nurturing that whether you stop at Vila Chã or continue, you'll most likely thoroughly enjoy it. A few pictures I posted from the first day-
https://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/2012/07/10/a-buen-camino/

I actually took the time to walk through Porto rather than taking the bus, but if you have 12 days in total, taking the bus might make more sense.

Buen Camino!
Michal
--
https://michalrinkevich.wordpress.com/tag/camino-de-santiago/

I see there is an 8 day plan above – does anyone have a good outline for the CP from Porto in 9 days? Thanks!

I'm hopefully going in August and have decided to start in Ponte de Lima, walk for 8 days and have a day in Santiago at the end. Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As a side note, that camino book is lovely from blurb but it is very expensive. Artscow is a more affordable alternative - especially with sales!

Thomas Hugues, your backpack it's a Quechua Forclaz 40? If it is, it's good for these type of walks?

Anyway, as I've promissed before, here it's the route that I and my friend will take. We will departure on May 3rd from Porto and take the Metro to Póvoa do Varzim. We will go through the mainland, and not near the ocean.

Day 1: Póvoa do Varzim > Barcelos (+- 25km)
Day 2: Barcelos > Ponte de Lima (+- 32km)
Day 3: Ponte de Lima > Valença (+-38km)
Day 4: Valença > Mós (+-23km)
Day 5: Mós > Pontevedra (+- 30km)
Day 6: Pontevedra > Caldas de Reis (+- 23km)
Day 7: Caldas de Reis > Padrón (+- 18km)
Day 8: Padrón > Santiago de Compostela (+- 22km)

We will stay two days in Santiago to see the town and to attend to the masse of the pilgrim. As far as you can see, 10 days could be perfect to do it :)

These stages look OK, I'll be trying to get from Porto to Santiago in 7 days next month.

Have any of you done that?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just did it in 10 days, including staying at Casa Fernanda and had 3 nights in Porto after. Perfect!

I agree that the albergue in Padron is very nice -- old stone building, well equipped, very comfortable. But if I ever walked this part of the Camino Portugues again, I'd make a big effort to take the 2-km detour to stay in the monastery of Herbon.

This albergue is in an active monastery and is run by the AGACS (Galician Association of the Friends of the Camino de Santiago). A Spanish Camino friend of mine has been a hospitalera there for several years and she has described it as one of those Granon-like or Tosantos-like places. Communal dinner, very nice ambiente. Turnoff is in Pontecesures.
Herbon doesn't open till June

Hi,
I did this trip over eight walking days this Easter:
Metro from the centre of Porto to Matosinhos, then:
  • Vila do Conde (along the coast) (22)
  • Barcelos (via Rates, crossing inlands to the Central Route) (28)
  • Ponte de Lima (32)
  • Tui (38)
  • Redondela (32)
  • Pontevedra (21)
  • Valga (33)
  • Santiago (28)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
These stages look OK, I'll be trying to get from Porto to Santiago in 7 days next month.

Have any of you done that?

I did not but know people who did. I cannot handle more than 30 k on some days but some pilgrims just have greater stamina.
And no they did not speedwalk, they walked my tempo but like I said had greater stamina to walk more hours in a row.

Nc6000 : and if you walk Porto to Vila da Conde by the coast it is a leisurely walk out of Porto.
Good luck!

Last edited:
My brother and I arrive in Porto April 16. Like Jenniandjoe, we have a couple days off, my brother has a conference to attend then we head off to Santiago no plan other than to arrive in Santiago. I will be taking many photos along the way so we expect it will take us 14 days or so to arrive. I like the idea of no plan that way we can make the most of the events that occur along the way rather than worrying about making sure we arrive at a given point at a specific time. We are lucky to have plenty of time to be able to do this. I'm so excited and looking forward to doing this walk. It will be my 50th birthday why we are over there. And this was a gift from my brother.

I arrive in Porto April 18th. We might meet eachother on the way!

Bom Camino, Marleen

Hi Peregrina2000,

Sounds special! Is it marked on the route? How can I find it?

Marleen

Oh, I just see another post Hebron doesn't open till june..... Pitty.

Any other suggestions for albuergues not to miss?

I will arrive in Porto April 18, walk via Matosinhos and Vila do Conde to Rates and then I will follow the central route, having plenty of time.

Looking forward to this Camino! Thank you all for sharing all kinds of information. It is a great help!

Marleen

Oh, I just see another post Hebron doesn't open till june..... Pitty.

Any other suggestions for albuergues not to miss?

I will arrive in Porto April 18, walk via Matosinhos and Vila do Conde to Rates and then I will follow the central route, having plenty of time.

Looking forward to this Camino! Thank you all for sharing all kinds of information. It is a great help!

Marleen

hi Marleen,

I really loved the small albergue / Acogida of Antonio Martins at Pedra Furada. Really lovely owners and they serve delicious food. Before Barcelos.

I also liked the albergue at Tamel, a modern municipal albergue with lovely hospitaleros.

My third favourite is the albergue NINHO in Rubiaes.

But you will surely find your own favourite places to stay...That is the magic of the Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
hi Marleen,

I really loved the small albergue / Acogida of Antonio Martins at Pedra Furada. Really lovely owners and they serve delicious food. Before Barcelos.

I also liked the albergue at Tamel, a modern municipal albergue with lovely hospitaleros.

My third favourite is the albergue NINHO in Rubiaes.

But you will surely find your own favourite places to stay...That is the magic of the Camino!

Thank you very much for the suggestions! Longing for the magics on the camino indeed!!!!

Hi Everyone - I'll be walking with a friend from Fatima - Tomar - Porto - Santiago (hopefully via the coastal route)

Apart from Porto - do you guys have any recommendations which towns are worth taking a rest day in?

Also the religious accommodation in Hebron sounds great - do you know of any other active monasteries on the route.

Thanks so much,

Kristone

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Everyone - I'll be walking with a friend from Fatima - Tomar - Porto - Santiago (hopefully via the coastal route)

Apart from Porto - do you guys have any recommendations which towns are worth taking a rest day in?

Also the religious accommodation in Hebron sounds great - do you know of any other active monasteries on the route.

Thanks so much,

Kristone

Check out this earlier Forum thread re monasteries on the Camino Portugese.

See also this for the albergue in the convent at Mosteiro de Vairao

Bom camino!

Last edited:

Thanks so much,

Kristone
Barcelos to make a detour by train or bus to Braga to see the world heritage famous church Bom Jesus do Monte and the lovely town.
Albergue casa da Fernanda between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima. The best albergue with great atmosphere. If you miss it you haven't been on the caminho Português.
The medieval fortress of Valença do Minho
Forget the Redondela albergue but walk on three kms further on to Cessantes where is the great refúxio de la Jérezana to stay.

And if you want your caminho complete, follow after Pontevedra the Caminho Português VariantecEspiritual. Read about this on the subforum here. Great walk and better than the central route from Pontevedra to Padrón.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, I'm planning on walking from Porto in May. Is 10 walking days enough to make it to Santiago? I have 12 days total but would like an extra day or two in Porto before my flight home.
Thanks,
Matt
Hi Matt, if you are capable of walking long distances you'll be fine. I walked on my own Porto-Santiago in 10 days on the end of November 2019... But to do so my shortest day was 27km longest 40 km.. you will have an advantage of longer daylight ... I couldn't get the passport on Sunday from the cathedral and any other church office, didn't have any left. So I've lost 1 day waiting until Monday to buy Credential..
Zoe

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back