• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto to Santiago in a Week

Davroos

Hi

I have one week and was wondering, is it possible to walk the Camino from Porto to Santiago? This is the only amount of time I can get off from work !!! I have looked at the guides that are downloadable and they only show the main stops. Are there places to sleep along the way? Also, 35ish K's a day does not bother me as I reguarly walk long distances

Thanks

David

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi David

You've looked at the usual etapas:

1 Porto – Vilarinho (or Vila do Conde) 27 kms
2 Vilarinho – Barcelos 27 kms
3 Barcelos – Ponte de Lima 33.5 kms
4 Ponte de Lima – Rubiães 20.5 kms
5 Rubiães – Valença or Tui 20 kms
6 Valença or Tui – Redondela 30 kms
7 Redondela – Pontevedra 20.5 kms
8 Pontevedra – Caldas de Reis 21.1 kms
9 Caldas de Reis – Padrón 17 kms
10 Padrón – Santiago 23.9 kms

Obviously you could "double up" etapas but that would be very demanding. Most Spanish people start in Tui which would give you a 5 day option + some time in Santiago. There is always, of course, the Camino Ingles from Ferrol - also 5 days. If pilgrimage to Santiago isn't your whole objective you could also use the time to walk out to Finisterre and Muxia which fits very well into a week also with some time in Santiago.

Happy selecting!

John

Hi

Thanks for the reply.

I have looked at the guide and can't get 10 days. Looking at the distance you post, I believe that if you did around 35 K's a day, 7 days is possible, so if I was to do this, would I find places to sleep?

I would rather do this walk than the others so any help would be great

Thanks

David

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last spring I walked in 8 days. I think you could possibly do 7 days. I will look back over my notes from my walk and see what other days could be combined. Some of the problem is the accomodation--it doesn't divide up for even walking days (as you could do on the camino frances, for example).

viajero said:
it doesn't divide up for even walking days (as you could do on the camino frances, for example).

That's the problem! A way to do this might be to take buses or taxis forward and back to use accommodation - i.e. reach a point where there is a bar but no accommodation get a bus or taxi to the accommodation then one back again to where you were picked up the next morning.

But let us know what you do!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A week is certainly pushing it. Last year I met someone at Teo just before Santiago. He had been walking from Lisbon. I started from Porto - on the same day as he did! My lazy but wonderful Camino took me 17 days, but then I averaged only about 15 klms per day which for this middle aged pilgrim was quite enough.
My question would be: why? The aim of the Camino is not to do a marathon but have the chance to listen and reflect. You could just as easily start from say, Valenca, Viana, or Ponta de Lima and walk from there. Just a thought.
Tracy
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com
for my experiences last July

I discovered the Camino in Australia in 1996 and never had a chance to do this. I started walking last year when I walked Hadrian's Wall and then started walking every weekend. The next step was to look at the Camino and as I have been living in London for to long, I have a week free and have thought long and hard about doing this.

We all do things for different reasons. and even if I am walking X kilometres in a day, I still find time to listen and reflect and even go off in my own world, so hopefully, the people in this forum will be able help and not criticise me for doing something my way

Here was my route/schedule. I'm sorry I don't have the # of kilometers/day with me.

Day 1: Porto--Sao Pedro de Rates (we did take the bus about the 1st 10 km. out of Porto as we were told that it was mostly motorway walking but if you didn't want to take a bus, I think you coud do this in one day)
Day 2: Sao Pedro de Rates--Barcelos (short day)
Day 3: Barcelos--Ponte de Lima
Day 4: Ponte de Lima--Valenca
Day 5: Valenca--Redondela
Day 6: Redondela--Pontevedra
Day 7: Pontevedra--Padron (very long day)
Day 8: Padron--Santiago

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Davroos,
Good on ya mate! I am truly intrigued about "discovering the Camino in Australia" as there are many, many pilgrims from Down Under. Are you Australian? I do hope you didn't interpret my comments as criticism as they were far from meant to do that. I just have a special fondness for the Camino Portuguese and hope that you will have every chance to enjoy every step.
Best Wishes, y Buen Camino!
Tracy

Thanks Viajero. I was looking at the CSJ site last night and had all the same towns bar the first one. My G/F is keen, so we are now looking at flights to do this.

Did you need to book your beds before or did you just turn up?

I walked last April and was surprised that there were not more people. WE stayed in albergues in Rates, Valenca, Redondela, Pontevedra, and Padron and had no trouble getting beds. In Rates and Valenca I think my two friends and I were the only ones there. In Barcelos there is not an albergue but we stayed in a pension( 30-40 euros for a triple) and in Ponte de Lima at the youth hostel. We didn't book anything in advance. It got a bit more "crowded" on the Spain side but we always had beds that the albergues and none of them were full. It might be more crowded this year what with it being a holy year.

Also, it might make more sense for days one and two to do 1)porto to vilarinho 2) vilarinho to Barcelos (as suggested by others). We did (1-Porto to Sao Pedro de rates and 2) Sao pedro de rates to barcelos). We did this only because a friend needed to take the train at barcelos.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So when it comes to getting your Sello in Porto, are there opening hours at the Se or tourist office, and the same along the rest of the journey?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sorry, I can't recall the hours that the cathedral was open in order to get a credential. I was in Porto for a couple of days before I started my walk and got the credential & stamp a day or two before. THe other sellos I got mainly at the albergues where I stayed or at town tourist offices.

JohnnieWalker said:
Hi David

You've looked at the usual etapas:

1 Porto – Vilarinho (or Vila do Conde) 27 kms
2 Vilarinho – Barcelos 27 kms
3 Barcelos – Ponte de Lima 33.5 kms
4 Ponte de Lima – Rubiães 20.5 kms
5 Rubiães – Valença or Tui 20 kms
6 Valença or Tui – Redondela 30 kms
7 Redondela – Pontevedra 20.5 kms
8 Pontevedra – Caldas de Reis 21.1 kms
9 Caldas de Reis – Padrón 17 kms
10 Padrón – Santiago 23.9 kms

Obviously you could "double up" etapas but that would be very demanding. Most Spanish people start in Tui which would give you a 5 day option + some time in Santiago. There is always, of course, the Camino Ingles from Ferrol - also 5 days. If pilgrimage to Santiago isn't your whole objective you could also use the time to walk out to Finisterre and Muxia which fits very well into a week also with some time in Santiago.

Happy selecting!

John

In my first Camino Portugues six years ago, from Barcelos, it took me 6 days. I double two of these, because I walked in one day Ponte de Lima-Tui and Redondela-Caldas. But, less than 8 days from Porto looks to be difficult, because there's not enough places to stop.

But, eight days is easy to do it. And, to do it in seven days I would double again the last day from Caldas to Santiago.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi David!

Have you considered cycling the Camino? We rode our bikes on the Camino de Santiago. It took us 22 days of riding for the entire 500 miles. It was a leisurely pace and we stuck on the dirt Camino as much as possible. Anyway, just a thought. You could certainly make your journey in a week if you rode a bike!

Mary

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
do you know that in Portugal you don't have to worry about albergues, every fire station is open for pilgrims. even a small village has a fire station so no don't panic! i met a lot of pilgrims in this may who actually slept in firestations. it's a pity i did not know this from the beginning.
i did the coastal route from Porto in 9 days, such as in 1 day i walked only 10 km.
so it is ok. walk it!!! :) buen camino

Before there is a queue of pilgrims at firestations: firestations in Portugal may provide accommodation for pilgrims however this is at their discretion and usually only to bunk in a spare room or to use spare beds. Given that they are...errr... firestations and not albergues they cannot cope with many pilgrims. :)

JohnnieWalker said:
Before there is a queue of pilgrims at firestations: firestations in Portugal may provide accommodation for pilgrims however this is at their discretion and usually only to bunk in a spare room or to use spare beds. Given that they are...errr... firestations and not albergues they cannot cope with many pilgrims. :)

Yes, several years ago they only provide a carimbo (stamp) in your credencial! I could have one in Barcelinhos!

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
3 weeks ago there were not any crowds, people are speaking of-because of the Holy Year.
as i walking ALONE THE WHOLE PORTUGAL ROUTE - i was wondering when do the crowds begin walking....
and i was thinking before starting my camino, not to go because of the crowds.... maybe everybody thinks like this, and there are no crowds? :)
now seriously: the estimation is that june, july, august will be the peak...

mmonomm said:
3 weeks ago there were not any crowds, people are speaking of-because of the Holy Year.
as i walking ALONE THE WHOLE PORTUGAL ROUTE - i was wondering when do the crowds begin walking....
and i was thinking before starting my camino, not to go because of the crowds.... maybe everybody thinks like this, and there are no crowds? :)
now seriously: the estimation is that june, july, august will be the peak...

Hi Mmonomm
Did you walk through Porto.if So what did you think of it ie roads , footpaths...urbanity
.just wondering if the walk out through Porto Is as bad as the general consensus

Hi

I have one week and was wondering, is it possible to walk the Camino from Porto to Santiago? This is the only amount of time I can get off from work !!! I have looked at the guides that are downloadable and they only show the main stops. Are there places to sleep along the way? Also, 35ish K's a day does not bother me as I reguarly walk long distances

Thanks

David
This is how I did it in 6 days after walking from Lisbon to Porto but my stages were longer than 35 K thou. If you can do 40's you can break my Day 12 (day 2) in two really short days :)

Day 11 Porto - São Pedro de Rates 39,24 km
Stayed at Albergue de Peregrinos - São Pedro de Rates, a nice albergue and good small store next to it.

Day 12 São Pedro de Rates - Ponte de Lima 50,31 km
Stayed at Albergue de Peregrinos - Ponte de Lima, really nice albergue and I loved the town.

Day 13 Ponte de Lima - Valença 34,83 km
Stayed at Albergue S. Teotónio it was ok but not the best, almost nothing in the kitchen.

Day 14 Valença - Cesantes 39,86 km
Stayed at Albergue O Refuxio de la Jerezana a really nice place to stay in

Day 15 Cesantes - Caldas de Reis 39,29 km
Stayed at Hostel Posada Doña Urraca and it was the worse place ever. Dirty and unattended. They have had bed bugs several times according to reviews. I did a bed bug check in my bed before even going into it, didn't see any but who knows. I hated the place.

Day 16 Caldas de Reis - Santiago de Compostela 43,76 km

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Beware, although the Se may be open there might not be anyone around to stamp your credential. We got our sello at the Information centre next to the Se.

Hi

Thanks

David

Hi David,

how many days did it take you to get from Porto to Santiago in the end? Which route did you take? Would you have a list of stops?
I'm thinking of doing the same this May so I'm doing some research now.
Thank you for your help :)

Katarina

Hi

Thanks

David
Yes u can, I did it. U start early and finish after a proper 8 hour walk. I walked around 35km.
I didn't walk fast coz of time pressure but because I walk fast.
It is all about the walking u shouldnt bother to much abt reaching Santiago.
Enjoy

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back