• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Porto to Santiago in July or August

CoriS

Time of past OR future Camino
Summer 2023
I am planning my first ever camino - from Porto and looking at the possibility of doing this in July or August. Looking at the various discussions and advice in the forums, I'm thinking the coastal route.. My questions are:
1) Is 14 days adequate? (I'm in reasonably good walking shape, not quite a hiker)
2) What is a good prep guide for this route? Or for walking the camino in general?
3) Should I book accommodation in advance for the whole route?
4) I would need to fly out of Porto on the way back so what's the best way to get back from Santiago to Porto - I would need to build that into my schedule
Thanks in advance for your advice and guidance 🙏

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What is a good prep guide for this route? Or for walking the camino in general?
The best preparation is to get used to walking every day.
I would need to fly out of Porto on the way back so what's the best way to get back from Santiago to Porto - I would need to build that into my schedule
There are several buses each day between Santiago and Porto that take less than 4 hours. I'd plan to take the bus the day before my flight.

I am planning my first ever camino - from Porto and looking at the possibility of doing this in July or August. Looking at the various discussions and advice in the forums, I'm thinking the coastal route.. My questions are:
1) Is 14 days adequate? (I'm in reasonably good walking shape, not quite a hiker)
2) What is a good prep guide for this route? Or for walking the camino in general?
4) I would need to fly out of Porto on the way back so what's the best way to get back from Santiago to Porto - I would need to build that into my schedule
1. We walked the Coastal Route just last spring in a pretty easy 13 days and that included taking the Variante Espiritual just after Pontevedra which adds on one day, but a variation that I highly recommend.
2. If you haven’t checked it out yet, explore Gronze.com. It shows you distances, elevation changes, distances between towns, and possible most importantly gives you a list of accommodations along The Way. In terms of a gps -type app that I have found useful, check out Mapy.cz. Although this Camino is well signed, Mapy will allow you to download maps of each region and you will know exactly where you are. I’ve also found it helpful navigating through cities (i.e., Vigo) and easily finding my accommodations. Just a nice tool to have along with you.
3. I would definitely book beds/a room in Porto and Santiago. On our two times on the Portugués, even when we have had reservations, beds did not seem to be hard to come by. But, it might be different during peak summer season along the coast.
4. After our first CP, we took the bus back to Porto from SdC. It’s a very easy trip and the bus station is just a short walk from the historic section of Santiago.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
1. We walked the Coastal Route just last spring in a pretty easy 13 days and that included taking the Variante Espiritual just after Pontevedra which adds on one day, but a variation that I highly recommend.
2. If you haven’t checked it out yet, explore Gronze.com. It shows you distances, elevation changes, distances between towns, and possible most importantly gives you a list of accommodations along The Way. In terms of a gps -type app that I have found useful, check out Mapy.cz. Although this Camino is well signed, Mapy will allow you to download maps of each region and you will know exactly where you are. I’ve also found it helpful navigating through cities (i.e., Vigo) and easily finding my accommodations. Just a nice tool to have along with you.
3. I would definitely book beds/a room in Porto and Santiago. On our two times on the Portugués, even when we have had reservations, beds did not seem to be hard to come by. But, it might be different during peak summer season along the coast.
4. After our first CP, we took the bus back to Porto from SdC. It’s a very easy trip and the bus station is just a short walk from the historic section of Santiago.
Thank you! Appreciate all the info. As I'll be doing this alone, is there anything else I need to be thinking of/ planning for? Thanks again.

July and August is holiday time for the Portuguese and Spaniards.
mind that about 9 days of your coastal caminho you walk along the (holiday) coast with other hikers from holiday place to holiday place ( PĂłvoa de Varzim, Esposende , Viana do Castela, Vila Praia de Ă‚ncora, Caminha,A Guarda, Baiona among others.)
As soon as you leave the coastal you arrive on the central route and there you will meet the crowds who also have their holidays and they go in the same direction as you to the goal, Santiago de Compostela.

The north west coasts of Portugal and Spain are not that popular for tourists from countries like Germany, Holland, UK Scandinavia etc.
They prefer the Mediterranean coasts and the French coasts and inland .
So most people who stay at these western Iberian coasts are locals . You compete with these locals and the flog of pilgrims who move with you into the same direction

So I advise you to make as much as bookings as possible on beforehand.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Here’s an alternative opinion as we just completed the coastal route to Santiago from Porto a couple of weeks ago. Doing this Camino is probably doable in 14 days, BUT, don’t count on any rest days, unexpected issues with feet/legs, or much time to explore the cities/ villages. To help you out, you might consider taking the Porto metro on up to Povoa de Varzim and starting your walk there. Something to consider.

Download Wise Pilgrim app. It was immensely helpful for me on the Central and I’m sure it would be good for the Coastal too. I used the Village to Village guide, it’s not comprehensive but good for stages planning.

Walked the Coastal Porto to Sde C during heatwave last July at age 77 and loved it .
14 days is easy . Recommend doing Spiritual Variant out of Pontevedra via Combaro to Monasterial then the Stone Water walk from there to Villa Arousa .
Day 1 " Reberia One " accommodation was very good
. Definitely factor in Oia and Baione for stays
Thinking of doing it again for my 80th.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Sure…14 days is easy IF you’re not carrying a 20lb. backpack!

Walked the Coastal Porto to Sde C during heatwave last July at age 77 and loved it .
14 days is easy . Recommend doing Spiritual Variant out of Pontevedra via Combaro to Monasterial then the Stone Water walk from there to Villa Arousa .
Day 1 " Reberia One " accommodation was very good
. Definitely factor in Oia and Baione for stays
Thinking of doing it again for my 80th.
Hello Garry, if you don't mind me asking, how do I go about booking accommodation on the route? I'm totally new at this so I'm sorry if that's a silly question ;) ..or if you could point me towards some accommodation booking sites.. thanks in advance.

Hello Garry, if you don't mind me asking, how do I go about booking accommodation on the route? I'm totally new at this so I'm sorry if that's a silly question ;) ..or if you could point me towards some accommodation booking sites.. thanks in advance.
A good place to start is Gronze. They list the accommodation on/near the Camino routes, with contact info and links to booking.com for those that use it. The site is only in Spanish but if you use the Chrome browser it will automatically translate to English or the language of your choice.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Will do it mid of July. Planned 11 stages and a daytrip to Finisterre. And a small "getaway" on the coast somewhere around Porto waiting for my flight. Have 3 weeks off.

Bom Caminho!

Back