• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Porto to Santiago July 2021

yourheromad

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello! My name is Madeline. My husband Timothy and I are Americans and are currently in Porto. We plan to start walking the coastal route tomorrow morning. I do not plan to post every day or anything, but as I have benefitted from others’ posts during this unpredictable time, I thought I would open this thread in case anyone has questions for me.

Hubby and I flew TAP Air Portugal from NYC to BCN with a layover in Lisbon. Hubby’s sister lives in Barcelona so we started our trip with a little visit with her before returning to Portugal on a Vueling flight to Porto.

As our flight had a layover in Portugal, the rules were that we needed a covid test in addition to our vaccination. In NYC we found a mobile van called Lab Q that provided free PCR tests with a 24hr result turnaround. When we checked in at the TAP Airlines gate they asked only for the test, not the vaccine card. As our flight ultimately ended in Spain, we also had to fill out the Spanish health online form that generated the QR code. This was scanned as we exited the airport in Barcelona. We really enjoyed TAP Airlines and I recommend them. Good food and very friendly staff.

The next hurdle came when it was time to fly from BCN to Porto. Even though we are Americans, the rules change as we are now flying from an EU country. At the time, the rules said that to enter Portugal from Spain either a covid test or an EU Digital Certificate was needed. It was unclear if our American vaccine cards would be sufficient. To be safe, we went to get a rapid antigen test in Barcelona. When we checked in at the Vueling gate, we showed only our passports and vaccine cards just to see, and the man accepted our American vaccine cards! We never had to show the covid tests. Part of me feels like this may be up to interpretation because the official rule does not address vaccine cards from outside the EU. But, there is a covid testing center at the BCN airport that does 20 min rapid testing. So if you want to risk only having your vaccine card this can be a backup plan.

Upon landing in Porto, we were informed that new rules were in place because of a slight increase in covid cases. Supposedly cafes and restaurants would be closing at 3:30pm on the weekends and 10:30pm on weekdays. As we are here on the weekend we were sad things would be closing early… but as the day went on nothing seemed to close at all! I am not sure if the law changed or if people are refusing to acknowledge it. There are quite a bit of tourists here and restaurants seemed very busy.

We got our credentials at the Cathedral Se with no problems.

So tomorrow we begin to walk! We have decided not to book lodgings ahead and to remain flexible. From reading other people’s accounts this seems doable. But I can report here if that approach changes.

It has been 10 years since I walked the Camino Frances as a 22 year old searching for her way in life! I am so excited to be here and to have a taste of Camino life and remain open to its gifts. Thank you all and please if I can help let me know.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello! My name is Madeline. My husband Timothy and I are Americans and are currently in Porto. We plan to start walking the coastal route tomorrow morning. I do not plan to post every day or anything, but as I have benefitted from others’ posts during this unpredictable time, I thought I would open this thread in case anyone has questions for me.

Hubby and I flew TAP Air Portugal from NYC to BCN with a layover in Lisbon. Hubby’s sister lives in Barcelona so we started our trip with a little visit with her before returning to Portugal on a Vueling flight to Porto.

As our flight had a layover in Portugal, the rules were that we needed a covid test in addition to our vaccination. In NYC we found a mobile van called Lab Q that provided free PCR tests with a 24hr result turnaround. When we checked in at the TAP Airlines gate they asked only for the test, not the vaccine card. As our flight ultimately ended in Spain, we also had to fill out the Spanish health online form that generated the QR code. This was scanned as we exited the airport in Barcelona. We really enjoyed TAP Airlines and I recommend them. Good food and very friendly staff.

The next hurdle came when it was time to fly from BCN to Porto. Even though we are Americans, the rules change as we are now flying from an EU country. At the time, the rules said that to enter Portugal from Spain either a covid test or an EU Digital Certificate was needed. It was unclear if our American vaccine cards would be sufficient. To be safe, we went to get a rapid antigen test in Barcelona. When we checked in at the Vueling gate, we showed only our passports and vaccine cards just to see, and the man accepted our American vaccine cards! We never had to show the covid tests. Part of me feels like this may be up to interpretation because the official rule does not address vaccine cards from outside the EU. But, there is a covid testing center at the BCN airport that does 20 min rapid testing. So if you want to risk only having your vaccine card this can be a backup plan.

Upon landing in Porto, we were informed that new rules were in place because of a slight increase in covid cases. Supposedly cafes and restaurants would be closing at 3:30pm on the weekends and 10:30pm on weekdays. As we are here on the weekend we were sad things would be closing early… but as the day went on nothing seemed to close at all! I am not sure if the law changed or if people are refusing to acknowledge it. There are quite a bit of tourists here and restaurants seemed very busy.

So tomorrow we begin to walk! We have decided not to book lodgings ahead and to remain flexible. From reading other people’s accounts this seems doable. But I can report here if that approach changes.

It has been 10 years since I walked the Camino Frances as a 22 year old searching for her way in life! I am so excited to be here and to have a taste of Camino life and remain open to its gifts. Thank you all and please if I can help let me know.
Thank you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Thank you - like many, I am hoping to walk the coastal in the fall - I appreciate all the information I can get. I am especially concerned about accommodations along the way.

Yes things changing every day I'm presently in Tui just crossed into Spain this morning great app just now is the Ninja Camino App. Best ever gives up to date of alburgues open or closed each stage.ive been doing Camino's now for 11 years best ever due to fly back from Porto after reaching Santiago on 14 the.july don't worry about booking ahead the way is completely dead compared to normal but lots alburgues are closed now sad hopefully not for ever I arrived in Porto my favourite city from Scotland apart from Santiago that is on 26 the June BOM.Caminno

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Great info! Thanks for sharing the current experience.

great info! I'm leaving from Porto in mid september and this is much appreciated. I look forward to following your progress.
bom camino!

Thank you for this informative post. My husband & I are considering the Camino Portuguese from Porto in October 2021. I will be following your journey. Buen Camino!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Thank you! I will follow every one of your posts. Please stay in touch.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Great! My friends and I are planning to do this around May 2022. Coastal route then Variente Spiritual. Stay safe and Buen Camino!

Thanks for the valuable information. My wife and I will be walking from Lisbon starting August 27th and following the Central route from Porto - we did the Coastal route in 2017 and loved it. I will be most interested if a Covid test is needed to cross from Portugal into Spain? I wonder if crossing into Spain via the ferry at A Guarda (Coastal) will be any different than the bridge at Tui (Central). Stay safe and Buen Camino.

Thanks for the up to date info, really useful.

I'm flying to Porto on the 12th August and starting my 1st Camino on the 13th. I'm really looking forward to getting started, though haven't planned the route yet. It looks like it'll be very quiet.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks for the up to date info, really useful.

I'm flying to Porto on the 12th August and starting my 1st Camino on the 13th. I'm really looking forward to getting started, though haven't planned the route yet. It looks like it'll be very quiet.
Yes it is quiet up to Tui. Then the Spanish begin from there busier there after

Hi i am completely new to the walk..I want to do it ..I will have one week ..what do u recommend and where do I get the pilgrims pass..thank you ..I enjoyed reading your account ..thank you tommy (Ireland)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

I wish you well on your Camino. I was due to walk the same route with my brother in law but sadly my sister has been very ill and we have had to abandon the walk.
Stay safe and well. Buen Camino!

Good morning from Viana do Castelo! Thank you all for your encouraging remarks. The Camino truly has such a beautiful community.

I just wanted to report that so far everything has been great. We have seen many pilgrims each day and most businesses seem to be open. It feels very “normal” despite wearing masks in hostels and around local people.

we have not been booking ahead and have had no problem finding places to stay. So far most of the affordable albergues have been closed. So I would say it is just a bit harder finding the most affordable places to sleep. But Hubby and I have been ok with that and often opt for the private twin room for around 40 euro. While we are not totally opposed to being in a bunk situation, we do feel it is a plus to limit exposure to others as the delta variant is not going away right now. Though we are vaccinated we do not want to get sick or not pass a PCR test etc.

it has been such a beautiful trail so far. The coastline is stunning. The only thing is that there was quite a bit of construction on the boardwalks on the first day between Porto and Vila do Conde. So that was a bit disappointing. But it will be nice to have brand new boardwalks!

if you have any questions just let me know!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Looking forward to reading your posts.

Buen Camino! I decided to book private rooms for my Camino this August for the same reason. I'm doing the English route, but am looking foreword to seeing more of your posts.

Thanks for posting, very helpful as I plan to walk coastal route from Porto, September 21. Also spending 4 days in Barcelona beforehand and flying Vueling to Porto.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just an update that crossing the Portuguese/Spanish border was a non-event. We walked across the bridge from Valenca to Tui and there was no one there or anything. I know this is on a lot of people’s minds.

We stayed in our first municipal albergue last night in Porrino and it was a crazy experience with only a 9 person capacity and only 7 people present. So strange to be in such a large building with so few people. There was no indoor eating allowed and the kitchen was closed.

7C3E6E94-0EBB-476D-A4A2-DAACD8F0787A.jpeg

Hello from Caldas de Reis. There are many more pilgrims on the route now that we have joined the central route and are also now 100km from Santiago. I spoke with a German man who was walking to Fatima and had been in Santiago two days ago. He said Santiago was packed with super long lines for the cathedral and the certificates. I thought maybe it would be less busy but it does not sound like it! We should be there in two days. It has been a wonderful journey thus far.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks for sharing. I will hopefully be walking from Baiona to Santiago beginning August 19, so I look forward to more of your posts.
I'm starting from Porto in the 13th August and Baiona is on my list for a potential 2 nighter to explore the area.

Hi i am completely new to the walk..I want to do it ..I will have one week ..what do u recommend and where do I get the pilgrims pass..thank you ..I enjoyed reading your account ..thank you tommy (Ireland)
I see you are in Ireland. You can easily organise a Camino Passport from the office in St James Church, Dublin. That will cost you €10.00. https://www.caminosociety.ie/passport
Alternatively, have a suitable sheet of paper to use until you get a credencial on the way as the Cathedral in Oporto will have them available. Around €2.00.
Buen Camino, Bom Caminho.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Thank You Madeline,

I have a question, i was planning to walk finally for the very first time the Camino Portugues de Costa and i am not vaccinated yet. I would come from Germany and i heard that you now need to have PCR tests if you want to stay at hostels, cafés etc. Did you needed those when staying at lodgings on your way or wanted to eat somewhere breakfast, lunch, dinner etc? Or maybe you heard sth from other pilgrims on their way?

Thank you so much in advance
Buen Camino!
Vicky

I'm starting from Porto in the 13th August and Baiona is on my list for a potential 2 nighter to explore the area.
Definitely aim for that - Baiona is beautiful. You can do a day trip to Ile de Cies which is so beautiful, all the different little hikes and beaches.

Thank You Madeline,

I have a question, i was planning to walk finally for the very first time the Camino Portugues de Costa and i am not vaccinated yet. I would come from Germany and i heard that you now need to have PCR tests if you want to stay at hostels, cafés etc. Did you needed those when staying at lodgings on your way or wanted to eat somewhere breakfast, lunch, dinner etc? Or maybe you heard sth from other pilgrims on their way?

Thank you so much in advance
Buen Camino!
Vicky
Hi Vicky,
I have heard that some rules have been changing recently but honestly I was not aware of this change nor have I seen it enforced anywhere so far. When booking a place to stay either in person or online there is never any mention of vaccination status. Not for any restaurants. I am back in Portugal now and I will let you know if I hear of anything. I need to take some time today to update myself on new rules as they are changing.
Madeline

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yesterday we arrived in Santiago! It was beautiful and contrary to some reports it was not very crowded. We got our Compostela certificates easily and quickly. This morning we boarded a bus for Porto and again crossing the border there was no control or anything. Good luck to all future pilgrims!

Hi Tommy,
There are places online to get your pilgrim passport mailed to your home before you leave. With one week you can do whatever you want. You can do the last 7 days of a trail and finish in Santiago. Or you can do the first 7 days and slowly complete a pilgrimage over time. If you are wanting the certificate there are rules about the number of kilometers you have to have walked. So it is important to know how much you might be able to walk in a day. I was very surprised that we finished the Camino Portuguese in 8 days! Good luck to you!
Madeline

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
May I ask how long it took you to walk the whole route?
We started in Porto on the 5th and arrived in Santiago on the 13th. So that is actually 9 days. One day we took a train from Caminha to Valenca to cross from the coastal to central route. This can be walked but we took a train for timing purposes. So had we walked it would have added a day for a total of 10 days walking.

Some of these walking days were on the longer side. For planning purposes I’d say 12 days is a good length of time to give yourself.

could you share which route you walked and the itinerary of flying back to USA?

Thanks Madeline. I plan to walk from Porto as well. Could you share which route you walked and the itinerary of flights back to USA?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks Madeline. I plan to walk from Porto as well. Could you share which route you walked and the itinerary of flights back to USA?
Hi there. I walked the coastal route and crossed over to the central route by taking a train from Caminha to Valenca. I then took the central route to Santiago. After we completed the Camino we then took a bus back to Porto and took a flight to Carcassone where we have been staying with family the past few weeks. We will be flying home to the USA in the next few days out of Barcelona. I know we will need a test to re enter the country. If you have any specific questions about getting back to the states feel free to ask. Thanks!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi We are on the Camino and wanted to warn our fellow travellers to stay away from O MUINO camping/ bungalow Park. They have signs on the road from Mougas saying pilgrim breakfast available...
Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hello fellow Pilgrims☺️ I am planning to do the my first Caminho ( Portugese coastal route) in September. I have been reading in various posts that you can ask for a pilgrim’s discount for...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back