• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto to Santiago - May 27 to June 7

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, Alex, I see this is your first post, so welocme to the forum. On May 27, I hope to be somewhere close to Sahagun on the Camino de Madrid, but I wanted to wish you buen camino on the Camino Portugues.

Not that you'll need it, but the Portuguese "Friends of the Camino" Association has a special "Pilgrim SOS phone", which you can call from anywhere in Portugal if you're in a bind. I have met several of their members and they are really dedicated peregrinos and would be happy to help you out any time, any day.

Number to call: 915 595 213 -- there are English, German, and French speakers who can help out any pilgrim in need.

Buen camino to you. Laurie

Hi Alex,

I'm sure you've read about the city walking on the way out of Porto? You can avoid it.
Do you know about the nice Youth Hostel in Porto?
Credencial in the Cathedral?

You will meet other walkers on the way.....

Buen camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Laurie, thanks for your wishes and the reference to the SOS phone. Knowing this number gives some piece of mind. Thanks and buen camino to you too.

Thanks also to Caminando. I found a reasonable accomodation in Porto (Residencial Sao Jorge: 25 Euro per night). I got the credencial from the American Pilgrims but will need to have it stamped in the Cathedral before I leave in the morning. I hope the Cathedral is open early in the morning (I suspect that I will not be open before 10 am, what is a bit of a problem) but will pass by the church after my arrival in the evening to see if there is someone still there. Was advised to use the Metro till Maia and start the camino from there, bypassing the traffic and suburbs. What would be your suggestion?

Best,
alex

Hi Alex,

Yes I would choose the metro for the first day - otherwise you're plodding through industrial estates and lengthy city suburbs.

Pity about the cath. being closed early....maybe you could get a sello at a police/fire station or the like, if this gets you on your way. On the other hand, if you're using the Metro, you'll have enough time to see a little of Porto till the cath opens.

Thanks, Caminando, for the advice to get the sello at a police/fire station if the Cathedral is still closed when I start in the morning... on the other hand, you are right, waiting till the church opens is a good opportunity to see Porto!

Best,
alex

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In my experience most hotels and many bars and restaurants also have stamps. Having the one from the cathedral is nice but not necessary. Be sure to ask at your hotel.

Yes Rod, Porto is nice to see. The area around San Bento rail station , near the cathedral ,is pleasant, and if you pick up a map from the tourist office near there you can wander a little. You may regret not having a day or two to see the city! There is an old quarter below the cath where the yellow arrows start. Great views from the cath car park area over the lower city.

If you need to email home there is Int access in a place one flight up opposite (San (or Sao)Bento rail station and also one in a money exchange office attached to the station, left of the entrance.

The Metro has a station opposite Bento; I remember you then change at Trindad to get on the line out of the city.

I'd relax and wait till the cath opens.
Jeff's suggestion on the sellos is a good one.

Enjoy...

Jeff, I was not aware that most hotels and many bars and restaurants have the stamps too... thanks for this information... will ask at the hotel...

Caminando, good idea to wait till the Cathedral opens... it is nice to have the Cathedral stamp... fortunately, my hotel has Internet (hopefully it is functioning)... the hotel is close to Sao Bento... so, catching the Metro from there should be easy... thanks for mentioning Trinidad... I don't speak Portuguese or Spanish, but hope that some people speak either English or German to direct me to the right line...

Best,
Alex

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Rodlach said:
Jeff, I was not aware that most hotels and many bars and restaurants have the stamps too... thanks for this information... will ask at the hotel...

Caminando, good idea to wait till the Cathedral opens... it is nice to have the Cathedral stamp... fortunately, my hotel has Internet (hopefully it is functioning)... the hotel is close to Sao Bento... so, catching the Metro from there should be easy... thanks for mentioning Trinidad... I don't speak Portuguese or Spanish, but hope that some people speak either English or German to direct me to the right line...

Best,
Alex

Just use the very clear Metro maps in the station. Payment is by machine. Have small change. It's about 2-3 euros I think.
If you find a foreign language in Portugal, it'll be English. Long historical links between Scotland and Portugal. England too.

We ended up waiting four hours for somebody to man the desk in the Cathedral. Personally I would if I already have the credential just get the tram to the coast, there are nice cafes with quite relaxing Atlantic views to hang around in on the first day.

Paddling is good for the feet, honest!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks! Most probably, I will pass by the Cathedral in the morning but then, following your advice, start moving without the stamp if none is there... fortunately, I already have the credencial...

Alex

Hi Alex! I'm planning to walk from Porto on May 27th-June 8th. I am arriving from Lisbon on the 26th and plan on staying the night in Porto; although, I haven't worked out details yet. Perhaps, we'll meet along the Way.

-Hope

Would be nice if we meet each other along the way... I also stay over night in Porto and plan to leave the following day... The pension where I am staying is close to Sao Bento station... just send me a note to my e-mail address when you know your plans... rodlach@creighton.edu.

Alex

hope831 said:
Hi Alex! I'm planning to walk from Porto on May 27th-June 8th. I am arriving from Lisbon on the 26th and plan on staying the night in Porto; although, I haven't worked out details yet. Perhaps, we'll meet along the Way.

-Hope

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back