• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto to Santiago to Finisterre to Porto – advice welcomed

twh

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances May/June, 2018
Porto-Muxia-Finisterre Oct (2019)
I walked my first Camino, the Frances, in May/June of last year (2018) and loved it. I’m coming back for more this fall but I want to try something new…a round trip from Porto.

I have not done any research yet. I just ordered from Ivar the Brierley Book (a free passport comes with it) and a Camino Forum Member patch for my backpack. Now I will have the pleasure of planning the adventure. Last time, I did lots of research on my own using the forum and then asked questions. This time I’ll see first what opinions are out there regarding the round trip and then narrow in on details after that. I estimate it will take about 32 days but that’s just a guess. I'm in good physical condition and 15 mile / 25 km days are comfortable for me.

I will start from Porto approximately October 10 and return about Nov 12. I’m thinking of doing the central route to Santiago and the coastal on the way back from Finisterre. Does weather/time of year make a difference on whether I do this loop counter clockwise (Porto - Santiago – Finisterre – Porto) or clockwise (Porto - Finisterre – Santiago – Porto). At this time of year will most Albergue’s still be open? Is navigation an issue on the coastal route return walking from north to south…against the yellow arrows. Any must see sights or Albergues?.

I’d love to hear from anyone full of ideas, experiences and enthusiasm from your Portuguese Route experience and especially if you did the loop as I am planning to do. Thanks in advance for sharing your comments and links that you think are helpful.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You can go from Fistere to the coastal Portuguese route but is very complicated to find your way and it is a long way so better is to return back to Santiago and follow the blue waymarkers to Fátima in Portugal . So you will arrive in Porto.
You can cross Gallicia to Pontevedra It is a road along the Galician coast to Noia and then to Pontevedra were you'll find the blue waymarkers
Then head to Redondela and then to Vigo. Once on your way from Vigo to Baiona keep the ocean at your right and as long as the ocean is at your side you will arrive in Porto.
I travelled a lot trough Galicia and the north of Portugal and made the suggested trip by car Very nice trip From Fistere to Pontevedra was about 140 kms by car

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back