Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Casa Ivar Pin
Custom hard enamel pin badge with silver coloured locking pin. Size: 30 mm.
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store

Porto to Santiago to Finisterre to Porto – advice welcomed

twh

Year of past OR future Camino
Frances May/June, 2018
Porto-Muxia-Finisterre Oct (2019)
I walked my first Camino, the Frances, in May/June of last year (2018) and loved it. I’m coming back for more this fall but I want to try something new…a round trip from Porto.

I have not done any research yet. I just ordered from Ivar the Brierley Book (a free passport comes with it) and a Camino Forum Member patch for my backpack. Now I will have the pleasure of planning the adventure. Last time, I did lots of research on my own using the forum and then asked questions. This time I’ll see first what opinions are out there regarding the round trip and then narrow in on details after that. I estimate it will take about 32 days but that’s just a guess. I'm in good physical condition and 15 mile / 25 km days are comfortable for me.

I will start from Porto approximately October 10 and return about Nov 12. I’m thinking of doing the central route to Santiago and the coastal on the way back from Finisterre. Does weather/time of year make a difference on whether I do this loop counter clockwise (Porto - Santiago – Finisterre – Porto) or clockwise (Porto - Finisterre – Santiago – Porto). At this time of year will most Albergue’s still be open? Is navigation an issue on the coastal route return walking from north to south…against the yellow arrows. Any must see sights or Albergues?.

I’d love to hear from anyone full of ideas, experiences and enthusiasm from your Portuguese Route experience and especially if you did the loop as I am planning to do. Thanks in advance for sharing your comments and links that you think are helpful.

Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

Albertinho

ninguém disse que era fácil !
Year of past OR future Camino
2013 Lisboa - Sant.
2014 Ferrol -Sant.
2015 Porto -Sant.
2018 Porto -Valença
2019 Valença -Sant.
You can go from Fistere to the coastal Portuguese route but is very complicated to find your way and it is a long way so better is to return back to Santiago and follow the blue waymarkers to Fátima in Portugal . So you will arrive in Porto.
You can cross Gallicia to Pontevedra It is a road along the Galician coast to Noia and then to Pontevedra were you'll find the blue waymarkers
Then head to Redondela and then to Vigo. Once on your way from Vigo to Baiona keep the ocean at your right and as long as the ocean is at your side you will arrive in Porto.
I travelled a lot trough Galicia and the north of Portugal and made the suggested trip by car Very nice trip From Fistere to Pontevedra was about 140 kms by car

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 100 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads