• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto to Santiago - which route?

happyhippie13

Time of past OR future Camino
Burgos ---> Santiago (2016)
Porto ---> Santiago (2018)
Hi there!
I completed a section of the Camino Frances in 2016 from Burgos to Santiago, and now I am wanting to do a section of the Camino Portugues this summer. The only thing is that I am caught between doing the coastal way and la senda litoral. I was wondering if people who have done either can give me an idea of what each one is like. Just let me know before answering which one you did!
1. Scenery- what does each one have? (if you've done both which way was prettier?)
2. Safety- I am going solo as a 23 year old woman. Is one route considered safer?
3. Waymarkers- Is la senda really difficult to navigate?
4. Albergues- how are albergues and residences along each path?
5. Terrain- flat, hilly, etc?
6. Weather
7. Can you swim in the ocean there?

Thanks in advance! Any other tips are welcome!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Not sure of your terminology. The senda route and the coastal route are often one and the same, with the coastal route veering slightly inland when a natural obstacle, like a river, makes it impossible to stay on the beach. At other points when they vary, the coastal route is rarely more than a kilometer away, so you can hop back and forth between the two pretty much all the time. Insofar as the senda route differs from the coastal route, it is not well-marked, but it doesn't have to be -- you just follow the beach.

There is a marked distinction, however, between the senda / coastal routes and the more heavily-traveled central route (and perhaps this is the distinction you mean). The senda / coastal routes follow the ocean. The central route is not unlike the Frances in Galicia. Rural, green, agricultural. Largely flat between Porto and the Spanish border, more rolling hills after that.

It's a matter of personal taste as to which you do. Last May, my wife and I started on the coastal / senda route from Porto, but found the beach towns rather dreary, and even the ocean became monotonous, so we switched over to the central route once we got to Esposende, approx. 55 k north of Porto. (But perhaps we demand too much from beach scenery, as we're from coastal California). Another reason we switched over was that we met very few pilgrims on the coastal / senda routes, and only found that "pilgrim vibe" when we crossed over to the central route.

I must add, though, that we later met plenty of people who had stayed on the coastal routes and loved it.

There's plenty of infrastructure on both the coastal / senda routes and the central route, although the central route certainly has more pilgrim accommodations.

As to your other questions, you can definitely swim in the ocean in summer. Millions of Portuguese do, and I took a very quick dip in May. Overall, it will be cooler on the coastal routes. For averages, check one of the internet weather sites, like weatherunderground.

With respect to safety, we met plenty of single women traveling alone. I don't know where you're from, but you're certainly going to be a lot safer in Portugal or Spain than in the United States, where we live.

The latest edition of Brierley's guide to the Camino Portuguese clearly lays out the difference (and similarity) between the coastal and senda routes, as well as the difference between the the senda / coastal routes and the central route.

Whatever you do, you won't be locked in, so maybe the best thing is to check the long-term forecast before you set off from Porto, or wherever your starting point is. If it's going to be horribly hot inland, go up the coast. If it's going to be raining, stay inland where you'll be more sheltered from the wind and rain off the ocean.

Hi there!
I completed a section of the Camino Frances in 2016 from Burgos to Santiago, and now I am wanting to do a section of the Camino Portugues this summer. The only thing is that I am caught between doing the coastal way and la senda litoral. I was wondering if people who have done either can give me an idea of what each one is like. Just let me know before answering which one you did!
1. Scenery- what does each one have? (if you've done both which way was prettier?)
2. Safety- I am going solo as a 23 year old woman. Is one route considered safer?
3. Waymarkers- Is la senda really difficult to navigate?
4. Albergues- how are albergues and residences along each path?
5. Terrain- flat, hilly, etc?
6. Weather
7. Can you swim in the ocean there?

Thanks in advance! Any other tips are welcome!
Hello happy
I attempted the senda and Andy is right that certainly based on Brierley it kind of Segway between walking on the senda directly on the coast, and arrows that take you inland a bit...called the coastal route. The inland Portugues route isn't near the coast and is the most well known and well travelled...i have yet to walk this...so I confine my comments to the senda.

I did find myself on the coast a good deal of the time, but also as above went on the 'coastal path somewhat inland on some occasions, particularly after esposende. Notwithstanding I found the path from Esposende to Viana to be especially beautiful ...it does include some hill walking and forested parts, but it offered a nice variety to the coast walking. Waymarking on the senda is a bit iffy at times but i enjoyed my journey. On my return I found that there are maps that would keep you religiously on the senda, if you get my meaning, by Luis Freixo at www.caminador.es if that helps. You can follow the coastline all the way to Vigo, but after that it's inland to Santiago, and at Pontevedra you will join the main inland route.
On weather I chose early June for mild climate but ended up having to cope with a heatwave!...which meant I actually needed to swim from time to time. It's possible anywhere almost but some of the coast in Portugal esp is very prone to high seas and winds so take care and choose calm beaches. I noted decent well served beach areas at matosinhas, vila do conde, Povoa, Ancora, ...and in Galicia, at Baiona/Sabaris, Panxon (see pic) and Vigo/samil...and I swam at a couple.
I found only a handful of pilgrims on the senda route each day, but it did get busier after Pontevedra.
Hope that helps
Bom caminho

Attachments

• IMG-20170615-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20170615-WA0005.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 16
A selection of Camino Jewellery
My wife and I did the central route from Porto to Santiago this past April.
With the exception of Day 1 out of Porto, we really loved this route. Day 1 had a lot of road walking on relatively busy roads. A lot of cobble stones and granite setts that are hard on the feet.
Even on the central route you do come close to the ocean on a few days. Some nice climbs over a few mountains as well.
The coastal routes seem to be getting more attention these days, but the traditional central route is well worth walking in my opinion.

I agree with zrexer about the central route and Felipe that the "Variante Espiritual" is the way to go. I walked both this past summer in 90 F, 32 C plus heat and enjoyed the entire journey. Remember along the coast you will be subjected to what ever is coming off the North Atlantic!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The section Lisbon to Porto is the best part for me. But to answer your question...

The senda and coastal rejoin every 25-30km so you can swap over no problem.
If you walk out of Porto along the river, turn north at the coast and then decide each day what you want is the best plan. It really is mix and match with the two. The coastal in Spain is beautiful from the pictures that I've seen. We rejoined the central from Caminha crossing over to Valenca before heading into spain.

Take a look at our Facebook page if you want to see what the senda is like...

https://www.facebook.com/Jackie.Craig.Adventures/

Bom Caminho

Hello dear pilgrim. I walked the Portugues Camino from Lisbon to Santiago this September and what I am going to say is my own personal experience. From Porto I took the coastal route right up to Pontevedra and from here took the Variante Espiritual. It took me twelve days to reach Santiago.

Since I didn't walk the Central way from Porto I cannot make a comparison but what inspired me to choose the Coastal route were the facts that on the coastal you have fewer pilgrims hence no problem finding a bed, the air is definitely cooler, the sound of the sea and waves when walking along the beaches is truly fascinating and the scenery makes a change from that of the inland route.

Along the coastal route you have days when you do not walk along the beach or at least you have options to choose from. I prefer to walk alone but the people I met along the way inspired me so much that for the last week we just couldn't go our separate ways but made it a point to reach Santiago together.

One thing I strongly recommend to do is to take the Variante Espiritual. This is just a tree day option going from Pontevedra to Armentera to Villa Nova de Arouso and Padron. You won't regret taking this option, believe me.

If you wish I can also recommend some albergues from Porto onwards, ones which will make your camino much more precious.

Finally, I consider this route very safe, the weather from mid-September was fine with just a drizzle on one day and yes, you can swim in the Atlantic Ocean as long as you don't mind the water being cold and the terrain is not so difficult to master.

Hope I was of some help and I wish you a safe and inspiring journey.IMG_5416.JPG IMG_5450.JPG IMG_5471.JPG IMG_5609.JPG IMG_5679.JPG IMG_5763.JPG

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Has anyone experience of walking Porto - Santiago in January? I'd like to prepare weather-wise, and to have a sense of whether accommodation might be closed at that time of year? All help appreciated!

I am also heading out from Porto to Santiago May 2018. I would love to some advice on whether to go coastal or central. I would prefer as much company as possible.

I can't comment on the coastal route having not done it, but my wife and I did walk the central route and enjoyed it very much last April. Hard to say if one is better than the other, they are just different.
In early April there were other walkers and we met a lot of people, but at that time of year it was not busy and we had no issue with accomodations any night in Portugal or Spain.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am also heading out from Porto to Santiago May 2018. I would love to some advice on whether to go coastal or central. I would prefer as much company as possible.
Central I'd say if you want company. We did Coastal and although it was busy, I hear the Central is more of what you'll be looking for.
Bom Caminho.

You could do a part of the coastal and a part of the central.
I did the central once and a second time did a cross over from central and coastal.
Started in Vairão nearby the Porto airport and walked as far as Casa Fernanda(between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima). There I jumped over to Viana do Castelo and walked the coastal all away to Redondela in Spain where I picked up the central route and even the Variante Espiritual. Very nice .
There was no walkingday without any company . I walked allways in the month of May .
This year April I will walk the coastal from Porto to Viana do Costela. Jump over to the central to Casa Fernanda but then will go back to Viana do Castelo and go on to Caminha and from there go to the central route in Valença do Minho.

Hi.
Have you chosen your route yet?

We are due to set foot in Portugal this May!
Flights booked!
Accommodation reserved!

I don't know if this will be any use to you but our itinerary looks like this -

Day 1. Porto – Matoshinos (Hotel Porto Mar) – 12kms
Walking along the River douro

Day 2. Matoshinos – Vila Cha/Angeiras (Campismo Orbitur Angeiras) - 10kms

Day 3. Vila Cha – Povoa de Varzim (Grande Hotel) – 15kms

Day 4. P do V – Estella/Criaz(Hotel Contriz) – 15kms

Day 5. Estella – Esposende (Soave Mar)- 12kms

Day 6. Esposende – O. Castelo do Neiva (Qunita do Monteverde) - 13kms
This is a special treat!

Day 7. C do N – Viana do Castelo (Hotel Laranjeira) – 12kms

Day 8. V do C – Vila Praia de Ancora(Hotel Meira) – 18kms.

Day 9. VP do A – Caminha – 6kms, then take the ferry across river.
This ferry doesn't sail on Mondays or at low tides, so you have to plan carefully!
Continue to walk around the headland to A Guarda – distance here depends on route taken.
There is a shorter more direct route cutting across the headland.
Staying at the Hotel Eli Mar for two nights.

Day 10. Day free to explore Santa de Tecla and the mountain.

Day 11. A Guarda – Vigo by bus.
We're still exploring the available bus routes.
Staying for a very special early birthday treat at the NH Collection, Vigo for two nights.

Day 12. Free to explore Vigo.

Sheena

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello dear pilgrim. I walked the Portugues Camino from Lisbon to Santiago this September and what I am going to say is my own personal experience. From Porto I took the coastal route right up to Pontevedra and from here took the Variante Espiritual. It took me twelve days to reach Santiago.

Since I didn't walk the Central way from Porto I cannot make a comparison but what inspired me to choose the Coastal route were the facts that on the coastal you have fewer pilgrims hence no problem finding a bed, the air is definitely cooler, the sound of the sea and waves when walking along the beaches is truly fascinating and the scenery makes a change from that of the inland route.

Along the coastal route you have days when you do not walk along the beach or at least you have options to choose from. I prefer to walk alone but the people I met along the way inspired me so much that for the last week we just couldn't go our separate ways but made it a point to reach Santiago together.

One thing I strongly recommend to do is to take the Variante Espiritual. This is just a tree day option going from Pontevedra to Armentera to Villa Nova de Arouso and Padron. You won't regret taking this option, believe me.

If you wish I can also recommend some albergues from Porto onwards, ones which will make your camino much more precious.

Finally, I consider this route very safe, the weather from mid-September was fine with just a drizzle on one day and yes, you can swim in the Atlantic Ocean as long as you don't mind the water being cold and the terrain is not so difficult to master.

Hope I was of some help and I wish you a safe and inspiring journey.View attachment 37599View attachment 37600View attachment 37601View attachment 37602View attachment 37603View attachment 37604
Love your photos!

Would love to hear your recommendations for albergues along the Coastal? Thankyou

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back