• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto to Santiago

Ants

Time of past OR future Camino
camino frances(2006) camino del norte(2010)camino portugues(2015)camino via de la plata(2017)
My wife and i would like to walk" the camino Monacal in April">are they many Albergues

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I suppose you will walk the caminho Português da Costa, starting somewhere in or around Porto.

The camino Monacal is the route in Galicia, leading from a Guarda via Oia and Baiona to Vigo .
Here in Spanish an interesting website.
http://www.caminador.es
My wife and I were in a Guarda in springtime of this year and saw the albergue .
In Mougas is one, nearby Oia and one in Nigran beyond Baiona.
In Vigo is a residencia-hostal called albergue but this is a privat one.
In Redondela is an albergue and from there you are on the central route of the caminho Português.

My wife and I are going to walk the caminho da Costa in May 2015 and choose the same route as you do as far as Pontevedra. From there we walk the variante spiritual dos Salnés to Vilanova de Arousa from where a (Zodiac inflatable) boat sails you to Padrón

Happy New year and bom caminho

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I also look forward to reading about your adventures on the Camino Portuguese as I plan to start in Lisbon mid September 2015, God willing!! Bom Caminho, fellow pilgrims and all the best in 2015!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I also look forward to reading about your adventures on the Camino Portuguese as I plan to start in Lisbon mid September 2015, God willing!! Bom Caminho, fellow pilgrims and all the best in 2015!!
what are your plans once leaving Porto ?
Following the coastal Monacal to Vigo or the central route to Barcelos,Ponte de Lima and Valença do Minho to Santiago ?
A glimpse on the Portuguese map shows the difference.
The central route is the common Portuguese caminho where you will meet most other pilgrims.
Last year my wife and I walked from Lisbon to Santiago which is a great walk .
This year we walked the camino Ingles which is a great walk too .
Next year back to Portugal for walking from Viana do Castelo.

Bom caminho. Feliz ano novo 2015

Last edited:
what are your plans once leaving Porto ?
Following the coastal Monacal to Vigo or the central route to Barcelos,Ponte de Lima and Valença do Minho to Santiago ?
A glimpse on the Portuguese map shows the difference.
The central route is the common Portuguese caminho where you will meet most other pilgrims.
Last year my wife and I walked from Lisbon vto Santiago which is a great walk .
This year we walked the camino Ingles which is a great walk too .
Next year back to Portugal for walking from Vianado Castelo.

Hi Albertiho!! I really don't have any definite plans as I'll be walking with a friend from Denmark...our Camino is in the early stages of preparation so any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Do you think that six weeks is enough to reach Santiago from Lisbon assuming there are no serious injuries?? Many thanks!! Susan

Hi Albertiho!! I really don't have any definite plans as I'll be walking with a friend from Denmark...our Camino is in the early stages of preparation so any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Do you think that six weeks is enough to reach Santiago from Lisbon assuming there are no serious injuries?? Many thanks!! Susan
Susan. We walked in 32 days from Lisbon to Santiago.
We skipped one day,Alverca do Ribatejo to Azambuja due to walking along a busy road on the hardshoulder. We took the train. Furthermore we had some days off in Coimbra, Porto and Barcelos so about a month is doable. We walked 20 kms a day. There is one tough day. Anyway it was for us between Ponte de Lima and Rubiães ,the alto do Portela, an about 420 meters high mountain as an off road trail. On the Lisbon to Porto leg the distances are about 30 kms between two places where you can sleep but the Santarèm hostal organised a pick up services in cooperation with some other hostals so no problem at all to reach your next bed as you prefer to walk less than 30 kms a day.
From Porto to Santiago the hostals and albergues are in between 20 kms from each other.
In july of this year we made a summary of all the places we stayed So if you read back on this forum you can see them all. Forum member Amorfati1 did the same so this would help you a lot Also forummember Magwood has a blog with a lot of information .
Bom caminho

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you, Albertinho!! It looks like we'll have plenty of time to walk this caminho! I will check out the sites you recommended! I actively followed Magwood as she made her way on the Portuguese....she has far more stamina than I, often achieving 30+ km a day!! 15 to 20 km is more in my range of comfort with the occasional day of rest. I now walk a minimum of 8 to 12 km a day so there's lots of time to amp up the distance. I so enjoy walking and thank God for this ability every day. It feeds my soul and planning this caminho is keeping my spirit uplifted! Merci beaucoup!!

Thank you, Albertinho!! It looks like we'll have plenty of time to walk this caminho! I will check out the sites you recommended! I actively followed Magwood as she made her way on the Portuguese....she has far more stamina than I, often achieving 30+ km a day!! 15 to 20 km is more in my range of comfort with the occasional day of rest. I now walk a minimum of 8 to 12 km a day so there's lots of time to amp up the distance. I so enjoy walking and thank God for this ability every day. It feeds my soul and planning this caminho is keeping my spirit uplifted! Merci beaucoup!!
So find my post and the one of Amorfati1. It was moreless at the same time we posted it. If you follow our schedule you do not walk more than 20 kms a day .
We posted all places we stayed. Had an unforgetable time.
All the preps and fun on beforehand make the caminho so special.
Bom caminho

So find my post and the one of Amorfati1. It was moreless at the same time we posted it. If you follow our schedule you do not walk more than 20 kms a day .
We posted all places we stayed. Had an unforgetable time.
All the preps and fun on beforehand make the caminho so special.
Bom caminho
Will do!! Bom caminho to you also and a Happy and Healthy New Year!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Thank you for you comment!
I am planning to start walking May 12 or May 13 from the Cathedral in Lisbon and walk in 24-25 walking days to SDC.
Probably one or two rest days to be able to visit the Cies islands in Galicia.
I will probably walk the Fatima route and then to Coimbra and the coastal from Porto to Padron.
Buen camino.

I suppose you will walk the caminho Português da Costa, starting somewhere in or around Porto.

The camino Monacal is the route in Galicia, leading from a Guarda via Oia and Baiona to Vigo .
My wife and I were in a Guarda in springtime of this year and saw the albergue .
In Redondela is an albergue and from there you are on the central route of the caminho Português.

My wife and I are going to walk the caminho da Costa in May 2015 and choose the same route as you do as far as Pontevedra. From there we walk the variante spiritual dos Salnés to Vilanova de Arousa from where a (Zodiac inflatable) boat sails you to Padrón

Albertinho, I'm planning on leaving Porto May 23, 2015 with some friends to do the Camino da Costa to SdC. I'm very excited that you will be walking the Vila de Arousa too to take the boat to Padron. Maybe we'll see you and your wife!

Albertinho, I'm planning on leaving Porto May 23, 2015 with some friends to do the Camino da Costa to SdC. I'm very excited that you will be walking the Vila de Arousa too to take the boat to Padron. Maybe we'll see you and your wife!
Very good @Ampolla . We will start earlier ,beginning of May depending on when I book our flights to Porto.
I will use this forum to blog our adventures so you'll be able to follow us.
Did you find any information about the two days trail to Vilanova de Arousa ?
I found some myself and kind forummembers sent me the lot about it.

Do you start in Porto ?

Well we will keep in touch by this forum.
Bom caminhoimage.jpgimage.jpg image.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Of course!

I did the coastal route in May 2014. I had a real hassle in Caminha. I had contacted the Tourist bureau earlier in the spring to get the status on the ferry to A Guarda and they gave me some info on the schedule etc. I arrived from my walk from from Viana de Castelo late in the afternoon and readied myself the next morning to take the ferry. After several hours of waiting and searching I found out from the tourist office that the ferry was broken and wasn't running. My only option was to detour 20 KM up the Minho to Vila Nova de Cerveira to cross over the only bridge to Spain. I didn't arrive in A Guarda until the next day. From there on everything was wonderful. My only complaint was I didn't meet a single pilgrim on this route until I reached Vigo. Plenty of great local folks along the route who welcomed me and helped me along the way. I'm planning to do the Northern Spain coastal route in November 2015.

I did the coastal route in May 2014. I had a real hassle in Caminha. I had contacted the Tourist bureau earlier in the spring to get the status on the ferry to A Guarda and they gave me some info on the schedule etc. I arrived from my walk from from Viana de Castelo late in the afternoon and readied myself the next morning to take the ferry. After several hours of waiting and searching I found out from the tourist office that the ferry was broken and wasn't running. My only option was to detour 20 KM up the Minho to Vila Nova de Cerveira to cross over the only bridge to Spain. I didn't arrive in A Guarda until the next day. From there on everything was wonderful. My only complaint was I didn't meet a single pilgrim on this route until I reached Vigo. Plenty of great local folks along the route who welcomed me and helped me along the way. I'm planning to do the Northern Spain coastal route in November 2015.
We probably could have met each other. We camped in Vila Praia de Âncora just after finishing our camino Ingles. And stayed there from the 18th of May untill the 25 th.We went to the ferry and had the same experience .Because I had my car it was easy to go to A Guarda via the bridge in Vila Nova de Cerveira.
As I have been told by the Xunta de Caminha the ferry should sail again within some month. The river Minho will be dredged to make it deeper .When this has been finished the transbordador is sailing again.
Hopefully for us at the end of april coming. We will start in Viana do Castelo beginning of May.
Indeed when we were in the Caninha area we saw a handfull of pilgrims .
Could you pm me were you stayed during the nights from Viana to Vigo ?

Albertinho,
If you are looking for a good spot to stop in Viano do Castelo consider the Hotel Residencial Laranjeira, rua Candido dos Reis 45. It a charming newly furnished small place with a very good dining room. Just before Christmas a double room with private bath and delicious breakfast was 45 euros. Quite a bargain! MM

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for you comment!
I am planning to start walking May 12 or May 13 from the Cathedral in Lisbon and walk in 24-25 walking days to SDC.
Probably one or two rest days to be able to visit the Cies islands in Galicia.
I will probably walk the Fatima route and then to Coimbra and the coastal from Porto to Padron.
Buen camino.

Hello
If I am on that date in Lisbon, and before you start the caminho you'll eat a custard tart (pastel de nata) in pastry Palácio Real in the Rua Conceicao (5 minutes walk from Cathedral of Lisbon). Then we combine the day and time.
AMSimoes

Thank you for your time and your help...we may change our route and starting point...will post..thank you again..Alain

Most read last week in this forum

Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back