• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto to Santiago

Susan Detlefsen

Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Way September 2016
i plan to set out from the cathedral in Porto September 15. Is Vairao s good stopping point for my first night?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I am thinking of doing a portuguese camino at the same time. Not sure about where I will start yet though. I did find some good resources here:
http://www.csj.org.uk/planning-your-pilgrimage/routes-to-santiago/the-route-in-portugal/

On that page are links to the downloadable pdf of the csj guide to caminhos portuguese and to the vialusitana site which has a list of accommodation along the route. Put it together with a map and you're sorted.

Susan,

I run tours on the Camino Portuguese, both on the Traditional and Coastal Routes. We stay in Porto for two nights before beginning the actual walking. But the route out of the city is industrial and busy, it is much nicer to begin walking on the first day at a quieter less busy path.

On the Coastal route I transport my group to Matosinhos as our starting point and walk the first day to Vila do Conde, approximately 24 km. On the Traditional route I transport the group to Vilar do Pinheiro walking to Arcos, approximately 18 km.

As a guidebook, I would suggest John Brierley's book for the Traditional Route. For the Coastal route I would suggest the Portuguese Way to Santiago de Compostela, My Way which can be purchased in Porto at many of the shops or through this link https://credencialdoperegrino.shopk.it/product/the-portuguese-way-to-santiago-de-compostela-my-way

I hope this helps.

Arlène

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
i plan to set out from the cathedral in Porto September 15. Is Vairao s good stopping point for my first night?
How long stages/long time do you want to walk for? I had my first stop after Porto in São Pedro de Rates 39,24 km from Porto a nice albergue with a good shop next doors. But that might be too long for you? I know that a lot of people stop in Vilarinho when they have started in Porto. I used JB:s book I found it useful.

Susan,

I did the Caminho Português six times on various ways and i work every year (4 to 6 weeks) as hospitaleiro in Angeiras My suggestion: Take the way from Porto cathedral along the cost to the Parque de campismo Angeiras (Lavra). The distance is about 24 km along a beautiful coastline with a lot of nice bars and restaurants. So the next day to Rates will be in a shorter distance and you avoid the industrial area on the traditionel way. The way along the coast is well marked, you can never got lost, the ocean is always to your left. The way from Angeiras , Vila do Conde to Rates is also well marked. There is only on thing: passing the bridge entering Vila do Conde the way splits. To the right to Rates and to the left further on along the coast.

In Angeiras, pilgrims can stay in nice bungalows for about 9€ to 13€. The swimming pool is free for pilgrims. You can have a very good pilgrim´s menu for only 5 € at the Restaurant Mira Pargue, 30 meters outside the campsite. Except mondays they serve fresh fish. Btw 1/2 a litre of wine is inluded. If you want to do a reservation, send an email to: infoangeiras@orbitur.pt with all data and don´t forget the word "pilgrim".
You´ll find the orbitur campsite in the internet, but do not book over their site. Doing so, they charge you the normal price.

Best wishes e bom caminho

Rainer

Last edited:
I don't see how the yellow book can help as it's for the France's. I used the 2016 Brierley and it is perfect for both coastal and central.

Unless there is a reason you want to walk all the Central from Porto I recommend starting in Matoshinos as well (Mercado metro stop, cross over the bridge, keep straight for a couple hundred meters, then take a left - you will see the arrow there).

To say you walked from Porto, why not spend a first day in Porto, perhaps getting over jetlag, and walk from the cathedral over to the wineries by crossing the iron bridge by foot, walk towards the ocean, and jump on a little shuttle boat when you arrive to the first little dock on the river. Then follow the coast to Matoshinos and head back to the Albergue by metro.

I have heard excellent things about the camping site. If that's not far enough, walk to Albergue Santa Clara in Vila do Conde, take a look at the convent, funny chapel and aqueduct. It would be a short day to Rates an Albergue with a great court yard, washing machine, kitchen, small shop 100 meters away and a fabulous home cooked meal at the restaurant 200 meters away. And I mean fabulous: hearty soup, salmon steak, desert and wine for 6€!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Susan,

I did the Caminho Português six times on various ways and i work every year (4 to 6 weeks) as hospitaleiro in Angeiras My suggestion: Take the way from Porto cathedral along the cost to the Parque de campismo Angeiras (Lavra). The distance is about 24 km along a beautiful coastline with a lot of nice bars and restaurants. So the next day to Rates will be in a shorter distance and you avoid the industrial area on the traditionel way. The way along the coast is well marked, you can never got lost, the ocean is always to your left. The way from Angeiras , Vila do Conde to Rates is also well marked. There is only on thing: passing the bridge entering Vila do Conde the way splits. To the right to Rates and to the left further on along the coast.

In Angeiras, pilgrims can stay in nice bungalows for about 9€ to 13€. The swimming pool is free for pilgrims. You can have a very good pilgrim´s menu for only 5 € at the Restaurant Mira Pargue, 30 meters outside the campsite. Except mondays they serve fresh fish. Btw 1/2 a litre of wine is inluded. If you want to do a reservation, send an email to: infoangeiras@orbitur.pt with all data and don´t forget the word "pilgrim".
You´ll find the orbitur campsite in the internet, but do not book over their site. Doing so, they charge you the normal price.

Best wishes e bom caminho

Rainer
Thank you, this is great information:)

Anemone, i have cancelled my posting about the yellow book. I made a mistake, because it´s for the Frances.
The Albergue Santa Clara in Vila do Conde opened in march this year. I was at the opening ceremony. It´s as you described. They charge only 6 €.

I can recomend another way. 5 Minutes from the cathedral down to São Bento Station. Take the bus 500 (Matosinhos Mercado) to Passeio Alegre near the castelo da Foz. Their begins the beautiful way along the rocky coast. The bus 500 leads to Matoshinhos (Mercado). So you can take other stops as you like.

Or go down to the River Douro and turn right to the place called Infante. Take the old tram number 1 to Passeio Alegre. The price is 2,50 € now.

Any questions about Porto and where to stay? I guess you arrive at the airport. There is a metro and buses to the city. If you take the bus 601 you´ll get to Cordoaria, right above the old town. I know a lot of cheap and good hostels near the bus stop. For instance the Porto Wine Hostel, Pensão França and Pensão Duas Nações. They are all in the internet. Many cafes around for breakfast.

Well, I used to live in Portugal for many years and Porto is my second home. If you need more information about Porto and the way, please don´t hesitate to ask.

Bom caminho

Rainer

Last edited:
How long stages/long time do you want to walk for? I had my first stop after Porto in São Pedro de Rates 39,24 km from Porto a nice albergue with a good shop next doors. But that might be too long for you? I know that a lot of people stop in Vilarinho when they have started in Porto. I used JB:s book I found it useful.
Thank you Beatrice. Yes Rates is too far for me. Vairos sounds like a good story for my first night. But then Rates is not that far. I suppose I might have to plan as I go. I can walk 20-30 km a day depending on my energy level. Thanks and buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Olá Beatrice,

the "old" way via Vilarinho is still in guide books. I did this way three times, but now I switch to the coastal route in the beginning Porto > Angeiras >Vila do Conde > Rates. Allright, there is a beautiful scenery at Ponte d ´Ave, but the rest is a kind of dangerous. Narrow roads with high walls on each side, speeding lorries and overdoing cars. Therefore only a few pilgrims take this route now. Almost all of them have JB:s book.

Bom caminho

Rainer

[QUOTE="
Well, I used to live in Portugal for many years and Porto is my second home. If you need more information about Porto and the way, please don´t hesitate to ask.

Bom caminho

Rainer[/QUOTE]

Hi Rainer, do you know about how long does it take to walk the Inland route from Viseu to SdC? I should be able to do about 25-30km a day.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks, Rainer. Yes I did try to use that link you gave. Strangely, no matter what distance (ave km per day) I keyed in, it shows I can complete it in 6 days and that puzzled me.

Olá Ern, there is something I don´t understand. I opened the link, clicked on the route and it showed me 35 towns and 44 accommodations. Below the map there is the exact distance between the towns. Where is written that you can do it in six days? I know there is another page showing 6 days, but it is only from Viseu to the spanish border. I found this page earlier but at the moment it is out of my mind. I used the planer on the side and the result was 16 days from Viseu to Santiago by 25 kms each day.

Thanks, Rainer, I used the Planner option, keyed in the required input fields and that's where it give 6 days.
Yes I saw the Route option you mentioned now, showing all the towns and accommodation. I was hoping that the link would help me plan where's the appropriate stopping points for each day, and that's where it gave me 6 days.

It's alright, I shall take a look again at the link. Thanks very much :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Anemone, i have cancelled my posting about the yellow book. I made a mistake, because it´s for the Frances.
The Albergue Santa Clara in Vila do Conde opened in march this year. I was at the opening ceremony. It´s as you described. They charge only 6 €.

I can recomend another way. 5 Minutes from the cathedral down to São Bento Station. Take the bus 500 (Matosinhos Mercado) to Passeio Alegre near the castelo da Foz. Their begins the beautiful way along the rocky coast. The bus 500 leads to Matoshinhos (Mercado). So you can take other stops as you like.

Or go down to the River Douro and turn right to the place called Infante. Take the old tram number 1 to Passeio Alegre. The price is 2,50 € now.

Any questions about Porto and where to stay? I guess you arrive at the airport. There is a metro and buses to the city. If you take the bus 601 you´ll get to Cordoaria, right above the old town. I know a lot of cheap and good hostels near the bus stop. For instance the Porto Wine Hostel, Pensão França and Pensão Duas Nações. They are all in the internet. Many cafes around for breakfast.

Bom caminho

Rainer
Hi Rainer, I was planning to start from Matosinhos and spend the 1st night there. any suggestions where to stay? thanks susanne

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Bom caminho

Rainer
Hi, this thread was great because I am planning my own (first) trip from Porto to Santiago on 2nd of September, I just wanted to ask, that albergue you mentioned in Vila de Conde looks great and I think I will head out that way then on to Rates from there, would you say I'd have to book it though or could you just turn up?.. Sorry if it's an obvious question/answer I am an absolute novice :) thanks in advance, Jacky

Olá JackyG,

just turn up there, no booking in advance, because it´s a communal albergue . Well, in September it´s always a bit more quiet on the coastal way. Don´t worry and enjoy your way.

Olá JackyG,

just turn up there, no booking in advance, because it´s a communal albergue . Well, in September it´s always a bit more quiet on the coastal way. Don´t worry and enjoy your way.
Thanks a mill :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back