• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto to Santiago

LesBrass

Likes Walking
Time of past OR future Camino
yes...
So our deliberating (we think) is over. My walking pal and I think we'll walk from Porto in November.

I've been reading so many posts about the different routes and I'm a tad confused! I think we could take the costal route out of Porto but then nip over to the Variente? Does that make sense? I've downloaded Johnnie Walkers 2017 guide to the Coastal and Seaside routes... and I've watched a few threads on here and will start putting a spreadsheet together.

I'm interested in the routes others have taken? And is it realistic to do this in 2 weeks... 12 days really as 2 days are travelling? What should we not miss? Anything I should factor into our planning?

Is the terrain going to be varied? ups and downs?

All guidance welcome! :)

p.s. we can both walk 35km+ if pushed but would prefer an average of maybe 25km each day

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi LesBrass

My friend and I walked in 12 days. We took the coastal route out of Porto. On day one we walked just to Matosinhos and then took the bus back to Porto. A taxi the next morning to where we finished the day previously made the first two days quite leisurely walking...
We then joined the Camino at Sao Pedro De Rates. Not sure if this is the Variante you refer to...
There are some 'undulations ' on this route but nothing too serious. The steepest hill I think is between Ponte De Lima and Rubiaes. The cobblestones didn't bother us too much (although I know others dislike them). We really enjoyed crossing the bridge between Portugal and Spain (so much we did this several times) and there are some really interesting towns. Loved the hot springs at Caldas De Reis.
The local dogs were fairly well behaved and best of all the bulls were safely behind fences :)
Have a great walk.

In November you might be better off staying on the Central route, rather than risking bad weather on the coastal sections. The Central route is a perfect 12-day walk. It’s well-established, well-marked, and there are plenty of affordable places to stay in winter. Rather leave the coastal for a nicer time of year when you can really enjoy the beaches. Even in summer you meet few other people on the coastal caminos – doubtful that you’d meet any at all in November. It then gets a bit lonely, just the two of you, whereas on the Central Route you can stay in albergues every night and meet others. But whatever you decide, have fun!
Jill

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks ladies... my mind is spinning a little with all these variations!

I've bought the kindle version of the new Brieley guide and also JW's guide. Trying to find actual stages is challenging :) I've been looking at Gronze but that is different than the other guides... I feel a spreadsheet and a map coming along to join the planning!

I think you both diverted from the coast towards Rates? The other varient is later I think? I have yet to discover that!

I'll be back to ask questions for sure... and also very happy to see anyone's stages.

right... back to looking at blogs now! ;)

I am doing my first Camino in October. After a bit of homework, I decided on the following route. All distances are less than 30km per day.

Day 1: Porto to Labruge (Senda Litoral), Albergue S. Tiago de Labruge, 25km
Day 2: Labruge to Povoa de Varzim (Senda Litoral), Albergue San Jose de Ribamar, 18km
Day 3: Povoa de Varzim to Marinhas (Coastal Route), Albergue Sao Migual , 28km
Day 4: Marinhas to Viana do Castelo (Coastal Route), Albergue Sao Joao dos Caminhos, 20km
Day 5: Viana do Castelo to Caminha (Coastal Route), Albergue de Caminha, 29km
Day 6: Caminha to Valencia, Albergue São Tetónio, 30km
Day 7: Valencia to Mos (Central Route), Albergue Santa Baia de Mos, 29km
Day 8: Mos to Arcade (Central Route), Albergue O Lar de Pepa, 19km
Day 9: Arcade to Barro (Central Route), Albergue de la Paróquia de Portela, 23km
Day 10: Barro to Padron (Central Route), Albergue de Padrón, 29km
Day 11: Padron to Santiago (Central Route), 25km

May you have a nice walk.

Last summer on the coastal route a friend and I walked the following stages. Some of them were fairly short, so if you are aiming for roughly 25kms/day, I don't think there would be a problem. I think you could cut it down to 12 days easily. We stayed in hotels (which are listed). We walked in July, so the weather was perfect, but you should consider the words of @jsalt. I don't know what it would be like in November.

Porto
Povoa de Varzim - Grande Hotel Povoa - 27kms
Esposende - Suave Mar - 22kms
Viana do Castelo - Pension O Laranjiera - 24kms
Vila Praia de Ancora - Hotel Meira - 19kms
A Guarda - Vila da Guarda - 13kms
Oia - Casa Puertas - 13kms
Baiona - Anunciada Baiona - 18kms
Vigo - Hotel Compostela Vigo - 28kms
Redondela - Hotel Santo Apostolo - 18kms
Pontevedra - Hotel Ruas - 16kms
Caldas de Reis - O Cruciero Centre - 21kms
Padron - Rosalia Padron - 19kms
SDC - Hospederia San Martin Pinario - 25kms

Whatever you choose, I hope you enjoy it.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I think you both diverted from the coast towards Rates? The other varient is later I think? I have yet to discover that!

For a November Portuguese Camino I would suggest:
Day 1 Porto to Matosinhos (or Labruge)
Day 2 to Vila do Conde (or Sao Pedro de Rates)
Day 3 to Barcelos (or Portela)
Day 4 to Lugar do Corgo (or Ponte de Lima)
Day 5 to Ponte de Lima
Day 6 to Rubiaes
Day 7 to Tui
Day 8 to Redondela
Day 9 to Pontevedra
Day 10 to Caldas de Reis
Day 11 to Padron
Day 12 to Santiago

The Variante Espiritual veers off just after Pontevedra, and takes 3 days (via Armenteira and Vilanova da Arousa) and rejoins the Central Route at Padron.
Jill

@Eswee @Doogman @jsalt ... you're all brilliant!

I'll drop all of this into my spreadsheet :D

We only have 12 days of walking so I think the variant will have to wait for another time... interesting how I'm already finding the place names more familiar!

Thank you so much folks... gosh, I am quite excited now :)

...We really enjoyed crossing the bridge between Portugal and Spain (so much we did this several times)...
Tip: If you're not going to be crossing the bridge several times like @Levi did, the view is much better on the upstream or right side as you leave Portigal.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
So our deliberating (we think) is over. My walking pal and I think we'll walk from Porto in November.

I've been reading so many posts about the different routes and I'm a tad confused! I think we could take the costal route out of Porto but then nip over to the Variente? Does that make sense? I've downloaded Johnnie Walkers 2017 guide to the Coastal and Seaside routes... and I've watched a few threads on here and will start putting a spreadsheet together.

I'm interested in the routes others have taken? And is it realistic to do this in 2 weeks... 12 days really as 2 days are travelling? What should we not miss? Anything I should factor into our planning?

Is the terrain going to be varied? ups and downs?

All guidance welcome! :)

p.s. we can both walk 35km+ if pushed but would prefer an average of maybe 25km each day
We did the Portuguese route in July, starting in Lisboa. In Porto, we started at Matosinhos, followed the coastal route for two days, then rejoined the Central route. What we learned last year from doing the Frances was that we could be very flexible from day to day. Accommodations were never a problem except in Azambuja. There was no where to stay there, albergue didn't open as scheduled, so we took a train to Santarem, spent the night, and started again the next day.

WooHoo! We've booked our flights! We arrive in Porto in the 7th November and fly out of Santiago on the 21st November... I'm leaving the route to my chums (there are three of us now). But I've sent the suggestions above to assist with their planning!

Crikey... this is unexpected and I can use the Rota Vicentina as my training!

Thank you all for the advice... more tips welcome! :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
To save the hassle of walking through all those Porto suburbs, I took the Metro as far as Vila do Conde. Get off the train near the Roman aqueduct and walk into town. Note: even in May there was a stiff cold breeze from the ocean, which would make the coastal walk unpleasant.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
To save the hassle of walking through all those Porto suburbs, I took the Metro as far as Vila do Conde.

The Porto suburbs go only as far as Matosinhos, not Vila do Conde, and even then, on one side of you is the river and the sea. If the weather is good, Matosinhos to Vila do Conde is a fabulous walk.
Jill

Herbon will close in October, I am afraid. According to Eroski, their season this year was 2 April to 31 October. You will just miss it by a few days, drats.

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/hospital-de-peregrinos-de-herbon#bloque-informacion

That's a shame, I loved the Oseira monastery on the VdlP. Do you know if there are any others on this route that we could divert too?

p.s. maybe that's just a good excuse for us to do this route another time... especially as there seem to be so many different options!

There is another monastery just a couple of days out of Porto. The hospitalera was incredibly welcoming and showed us around the building, but to be honest, it had nothing on Herbon.
This one is at Vairao.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back