• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto to Santiago

Frank66

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2016 Camino Frances
September (2017) First stage of Camino Portugués
hi all,
I have a loose plan of walking Porto to Santiago as a solo walker. I know it is less populated than the CF but wondered if anyone could share their experience on this.
Also, is 12 days doable; I walk regularly and did the CF in just over 5 weeks with restdays.

Thanks in advance :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I did the coastal from Porto and it is spectacularly beautiful. Amazing coastal villages and the Portuguese people are very nice. Easy to navigate even if there are no markers in some places. Don't expect the Frances type infrastructure. At the same time don't expect to see pilgrim graffitti, litter and toilet paper everywhere. The boardwalk in Portugal is a work of wonder. Don't hesitate to stray off the official path if something in the area looks more interesting. You really can't get too lost on this one. Have some snacks as some of the bars you pass may not be open for a coffee or food out of high season. I walked about 80% alone after my wife dropped out with an injury. I used the Brierley guide and some of the track-map downloads available on this site. Enjoy your journey!

Have walked both, most recently the Spiritual Variant, and both are great, but obviously different.
See blog “ensuitepilgrimblog.wordpress.com”
Scroll thru Archives for accounts.

hi all,
I have a loose plan of walking Porto to Santiago as a solo walker. I know it is less populated than the CF but wondered if anyone could share their experience on this.
Also, is 12 days doable; I walk regularly and did the CF in just over 5 weeks with restdays.

Thanks in advance :)
Very doable in 12 days.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked from Porto to Santiago the central way in 9 days, many people do in 10, some in 8, depends on the level of fitness. Had time to have a relaxed walk: smelled the flowers, took pics, explored the small towns on the way, talked to fellow walkers on the way, etc. Walked the first day along the ocean, then joined the central one, no regrets as felt the proper Camino spirit there. Well-marked and easy, no trekking boots needed, could be done in runners, sleeping bag/liner needed only if you sleep in municipal albergues, budget route, great food, plentiful accommodation options, popular, but not busy. Most of all enjoyed Vila de Conde, Barcelos, Ponte de Lima and Arcade (between Redondela and Pontevedra). Bom Caminho!

I walked from Porto to Santiago the central way in 9 days, many people do in 10, some in 8, depends on the level of fitness. Had time to have a relaxed walk: smelled the flowers, took pics, explored the small towns on the way, talked to fellow walkers on the way, etc. Walked the first day along the ocean, then joined the central one, no regrets as felt the proper Camino spirit there. Well-marked and easy, no trekking boots needed, could be done in runners, sleeping bag/liner needed only if you sleep in municipal albergues, budget route, great food, plentiful accommodation options, popular, but not busy. Most of all enjoyed Vila de Conde, Barcelos, Ponte de Lima and Arcade (between Redondela and Pontevedra). Bom Caminho!
(
Thanks Surya8, it sounds great. Did you use any online resources to plan the trip (as well as this forum)?
Any ideas are welcome!
Bom Caminho!:)

Sorry, I forgot to ask, what time of year did you walk it?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
(
Thanks Surya8, it sounds great. Did you use any online resources to plan the trip (as well as this forum)?
Any ideas are welcome!
Bom Caminho!:)
Walked end of Apr- begining of May, didn't plan anything, got my Brierly guide a couple of days before departure but hardly opened it before the trip or on the road - almost no need, only to fugure out where to drop for the night when your feets tell to to :) Finding your Camino family and walking with them, on and off, was the best thing, so better not to plan as Camino does it for you :)

Walked end of Apr- begining of May, didn't plan anything, got my Brierly guide a couple of days before departure but hardly opened it before the trip or on the road - almost no need, only to fugure out where to drop for the night when your feets tell to to :) Finding your Camino family and walking with them, on and off, was the best thing, so better not to plan as Camino does it for you :)

Hello surya8

I really like your post, it is v true, I just hope that I will synchronize in time and space well there in Portugal.... the thing is to do good in life, share, say good words to people, smile for no reason and be kind and help, when someone pushes us away try to understand him/her and give space....I think life is about good and bad energy....I believe that if we navigate using heart, help and live our lives with no calculation "will I get out anything from this?" without expectations then I think we will collect a lot of good energy and this good will reflect in future....I think future is in present time, when I see poor person, I shall buy him/her food, or if I cant buy then shall give this person a good word and wish him/her well...doing well will synchronize my life with good future, destiny.

Camino de Santiago when starting alone is analogical to life, beginning is a birth...

I am still thinking why I am unable to do it the way you did it, with no planning, in my case I try to learn as much as I can before I start my journey to Santiago....

I am planning to walk from Porto to Santiago beginning April 7th from Porto - I land in Lisbon on the 5th and will take a day to settle, visit a castle, then take the train or bus to Porto on the 6th. I am planning, but roughly, and will try to be fluid with my plans. This will be my first trip to Europe - and I will be doing this alone. I am excited and terrified, and I am sure that all will be well. Lois

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked it "solo," although seldom was alone. It was great to arrive without much of a plan - I started from Matosinhos with the idea of doing the coastal until I felt like going inland, and after one day, followed some French women I met into the central route - even though I live in the desert and had the idea that walking along the ocean for days would be heaven, I am SO glad I switched - the Central route was amazing!! 12 days is a VERY leisurely pace - definitely could be done in that or a few days less.

Did you use any online resources to plan the trip
I found urcamino website very helpful while planning where to stay and how long to walk each day. With 12 days You can squeeze in a good dose of sightseeing in the afternoons.

Porto to Santiago is a nice option for both being alone and walking with other people depending on how You feel that day. You might see a pilgrim here and there while sitting down for coffee or lunch, not as many while walking, but at night the albergue is almost full.

I did the coastal from Porto and it is spectacularly beautiful. Amazing coastal villages and the Portuguese people are very nice. Easy to navigate even if there are no markers in some places. Don't expect the Frances type infrastructure. At the same time don't expect to see pilgrim graffitti, litter and toilet paper everywhere. The boardwalk in Portugal is a work of wonder. Don't hesitate to stray off the official path if something in the area looks more interesting. You really can't get too lost on this one. Have some snacks as some of the bars you pass may not be open for a coffee or food out of high season. I walked about 80% alone after my wife dropped out with an injury. I used the Brierley guide and some of the track-map downloads available on this site. Enjoy your journey!
How long did it take you and what time of year did you go?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
How long did it take you and what time of year did you go?
Hi Nick, I started on Sept 17 and arrived in SDC on Sept 28. Also took advantage of the Spiritual Variant option which I highly recommend. We arrived in Porto about four days prior. During that time we did a nice walk out to Matosinhos to recover from the trip and to loosen up for the start. Took the train back to Porto, quick trip. On the 17th we took the train back out to Matosinhos and started. Weather was great the whole way. I put in a few days going faster and longer than I like to because my wife was off the Camino due to an injury and would take the train a couple days ahead of me and wait for me to catch up. That got expensive as she couldn't hang out in albergues. We found few open bars/cafes right on the coast. We were told most close seasonally around Sept 15 even though there is plenty of activity on the coast. So take some snacks just in case. All the towns/cities along the coastal route are really nice. If you are looking for a rest day Baiona is really nice. When walking through Baiona be sure to detour to the water front as the marked path keeps you in alleys which means you miss seeing some this beautiful place. I walked my way out of Vigo central waterfront area. It is a big city. Next time I would cab it to a marked start point say the Cafe Buche marked in Brierley's guide. I rested up for a day in SDC and then did the Finisterre which is great if you have the time. Again, the weather was just great.

Hi Nick, I started on Sept 17 and arrived in SDC on Sept 28. Also took advantage of the Spiritual Variant option which I highly recommend. We arrived in Porto about four days prior. During that time we did a nice walk out to Matosinhos to recover from the trip and to loosen up for the start. Took the train back to Porto, quick trip. On the 17th we took the train back out to Matosinhos and started. Weather was great the whole way. I put in a few days going faster and longer than I like to because my wife was off the Camino due to an injury and would take the train a couple days ahead of me and wait for me to catch up. That got expensive as she couldn't hang out in albergues. We found few open bars/cafes right on the coast. We were told most close seasonally around Sept 15 even though there is plenty of activity on the coast. So take some snacks just in case. All the towns/cities along the coastal route are really nice. If you are looking for a rest day Baiona is really nice. When walking through Baiona be sure to detour to the water front as the marked path keeps you in alleys which means you miss seeing some this beautiful place. I walked my way out of Vigo central waterfront area. It is a big city. Next time I would cab it to a marked start point say the Cafe Buche marked in Brierley's guide. I rested up for a day in SDC and then did the Finisterre which is great if you have the time. Again, the weather was just great.
Thank so much for such a detailed account.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back