• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Porto to Santiago

pilgrimgal

Greetings, Fellow Pilgrims!

My Dad and I are going to be walking the Portuguese Camino this May for the first time, so here's where you can tell us all about bed bugs, blisters, and backpacks! We enjoy hiking around, and have done the West Coast Trail ( my Dad has many times), but have never experienced albergues etc.

Does it really reach over 30 degrees in May? Is it going to be super busy because of the Holy Year?

thanks!
Cath

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Cath,

If you are starting in early May we might cross paths. I'm setting out from Porto mid-April, but plan to stay a day or two in many of the towns along the way, and don't expect to reach Santiago until mid-May. From my limited climate research it should be a lot like the Pacific Northwest -- mild and wet.

So if you pass an old guy moving slowly, or likely setting up a tripod to photograph flowers in the rain, stop and chat. :D

Kit
http://www.arovingvision.com
kst@arovingvision.com

Hi Cath and Dad...welcome to the Forum and the Class of 2010!

Say, with all the excitement in BC...I'd be getting out of town also!

Many good folks that have done, or will soon be on the CP such as Kit, will be chiming in, but I thought I'd give you a few tips on the Forum and things to check out.

1. The Pilgrim FAQ at the top right of the page.
2. The Class of 2010 to see whom else may be walking the Way at the same time
3. The Camino Calendar at the bottom of the page will also show whom is walking, from where and it also lists key events along the Way.
4. There's also a "search" capability at the top right. You can enter a keyword, such as: "food", "refuge Leon" and it will search the Forum and return links.
5. Another great resource is:

http://www.mundicamino.com/

Buen Camino,
Arn

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
pilgrimgal said:
Greetings, Fellow Pilgrims!

My Dad and I are going to be walking the Portuguese Camino this May for the first time, so here's where you can tell us all about bed bugs, blisters, and backpacks! We enjoy hiking around, and have done the West Coast Trail ( my Dad has many times), but have never experienced albergues etc.

Does it really reach over 30 degrees in May? Is it going to be super busy because of the Holy Year?

thanks!
Cath

Cath - yes you'll find lots of info in this forum on bedbugs (preferably how to avoid them!), blisters
(preferably how to avoid them) and backpacks (preferably how little to take in them)...

Here was the weather in Porto in May last year - other years have been cooler. Who can predict weather these days?

Yes it will be busier than regular years - approximately 2 to 2.5 times the number of people. But it will have its own fun because of that. Extra beds are being provided along the routes.

Buen Camino

John

Attachments

• Porto Weather May 2009.gif
    Porto Weather May 2009.gif
    2.8 KB · Views: 1,799
Thanks for the advice! This is such a great forum, I've already seen your names on other posts - what a small pilgrim world! now for some shoe-shopping... any ideas on hats that are light, give enough shade, and are easy to pack?

Cath,

If you are starting in early May we might cross paths. I'm setting out from Porto mid-April, but plan to stay a day or two in many of the towns along the way, and don't expect to reach Santiago until mid-May. From my limited climate research it should be a lot like the Pacific Northwest -- mild and wet.

So if you pass an old guy moving slowly, or likely setting up a tripod to photograph flowers in the rain, stop and chat. :D

Kit
kst@arovingvision.com[/quote]

Hi Kit,
I see you're from just across the channel! We are starting May 8th I think, so we'll probably cross paths at some point! My Dad loves to talk with everyone with fellow hikers and pilgrims, so even if your tripod isn't up, we'll definitly be stopping for a chat.
Cath

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Kath

I'm walking with my 12year old nephew in mid April perhaps our paths will cross. So if you pass a couple of Aussies say 'gooday'. Kit, I'll probably cross paths with you too if you are walking mid April. CYA Sharon

pilgrimgal said:
any ideas on hats that are light, give enough shade, and are easy to pack?

Cath,

Hats? Tilley, of course I think they may be Canada's leading export. :D

The Tilley Airflo is nicely ventilated, great for sun and rain protection. Mine has survived two Amazon trips, and I've worn it almost daily for six years.

Adventure Clothing, Fort & Broad, carries them.

Boa Viagem,
Kit

kst@arovingvision.com

I'm walking with my 12year old nephew in mid April perhaps our paths will cross. So if you pass a couple of Aussies say 'gooday'. Kit, I'll probably cross paths with you too if you are walking mid April. CYA Sharon

Hi Sharon, we'll be glad to see some Aussies! I love your country, though I only saw a little when I was at WYD '08 in Brisbane and Sydney. There seem to be a lot of people from Australia and NZ that walk the caminos, is it a popular pilgrimage down under? It looks like we're starting on May 8th, though, :( so we'll only meet if you sprain an ankle and walk veeery slow, which, of course, I hope won't happen :wink:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back